Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my new S&S Stealth Two intake today. Got it installed without too much of a headache, although separating the intake from the throttle body is a PITA. Was curious what others have done with the gaping hole left in the frame where the airbox used to tie in. Do most of you just leave it open, or have you used something to plug it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left it open, brings in air from the front of the bike.
Any concern with the steering arm or bearings being more exposed to the elements? I can only imagine how much dust and debris will end up in there.

·
Silver member
4,261 Posts
Any concern with the steering arm or bearings being more exposed to the elements? I can only imagine how much dust and debris will end up in there.

That is the air duct to the air cleaner, way past the steering arm and bearings. You want that ram air coming in to help cool the rear cylinder. I recommend to leave it open.

·
Bronze member
2,169 Posts
That is the air duct to the air cleaner, way past the steering arm and bearings. You want that ram air coming in to help cool the rear cylinder. I recommend to leave it open.
If he removed the stock airbox, the highly engineered rear cylinder cooling is no longer active.

The under scoop was feeding air to the middle-back of the cylinder and the 3 slots at the lower front of the airbox were feeding air to the front of the rear cylinder.

Once the airbox is gone, that is all gone too.

HTH.

WD./

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If he removed the stock airbox, the highly engineered rear cylinder cooling is no longer active.

The under scoop was feeding air to the middle-back of the cylinder and the 3 slots at the lower front of the airbox were feeding air to the front of the rear cylinder.

HTH.

WD./
I guess I'm not quite sure I understand how the stock airbox provided any cooling to the rear cylinder...seems like with the airbox gone that significantly more air would be able to flow through now. The hole in the front of the frame doesn't look like it has any air flowing in from outside, it was where air coming in through the filter would circulate before continuing to the throttle body.

·
Silver member
4,261 Posts

HTH.

WD./
Not sure about your bike, but on my 2016 there was no highly engineered rear cylinder cooling. In fact the stock A/C blocked a lot of air. With the stock A/C out of the picture, that large open duct now spills air down and around the rear cylinder.

This is a real old picture when I had the PM A/C installed, but you can see the open air duct. This duct used to go directly into the stock A/C.

Air Duct.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about your bike, but on my 2016 there was no highly engineered rear cylinder cooling. In fact the stock A/C blocked a lot of air. With the stock A/C out of the picture, that large open duct now spills air down and around the rear cylinder.

This is a real old picture when I had the PM A/C installed, but you can see the open air duct. This duct used to go directly into the stock A/C.

View attachment 482508
This post is for the Indian Scout, did I post in the wrong forum? It shows I'm in the Midsize>Indian Scout Peformance forum...

·
Silver member
4,261 Posts
This post is for the Indian Scout, did I post in the wrong forum? It shows I'm in the Midsize>Indian Scout Peformance forum...

Oh my bad. That is what you get when one is multi-tasking and not paying attention to the model. My apologies!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my bad. That is why you get when one is multi-tasking and not paying attention to the model. My apologies!
No worries, I was just starting to get really confused for a minute. Didnt think with a liquid cooled engine I'd have to worry about the stock airbox performing any rear cylinder cooling, lol. Thought maybe I missed something.

·
Bronze member
2,169 Posts
Yah, I didn't catch the model of bike either! :)
Hey, my hand is up too.

But I did look through the whole stock TS111 airbox issue about 6 weeks back (with spreadsheets no less) and was going to post but got sidetracked with dialing in a new espresso machine so it got set on a back burner.

But I will start a new thread and walk through it all. It did take me a while to find the common denominator that allowed the spreadsheets to show what they had engineered.

But the engineers did not just blow it off and go to lunch about the airbox and getting air directed on the rear cylinder.

WD./

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking WTF until I saw the 111 pic! Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haha, that's where I was too. I was like there is no way the stock air box was designed to provide any flow what so ever to the reas cylinder, lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts