Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Stock Air Cleaner Mod?

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  the doctor 
#1 ·
So I popped the cover off the AC today. Popped is not exactly how it went. The bolts were very tight and the bottom one just rounded out without budging. WTF are these guys doing with the torquing of the fasteners on these bikes? I had to cut the bottom one off with a rotary cutter. Of course it chewed up some of the chrome but at least it's on the bottom and out of sight.

Anyway, I digress. Looking at the air box, I see only a few ports for the air to enter the filter. Those slots are right next to the forward cylinder head pulling the hottest air possible save for right off the header pipe. I found this to be a bit strange. On my VRod, the air was pulled from the front of the bike before the heat of the engine could warm it up. There was also a lot more air capacity. Even so, VRod owners routinely added more air capability by cutting away some of the air box top or removing the top completely. (Semi-topless and Topless.)

Now I know that with the AC upgrade from Indian, the Big Sucker air cleaner is wide open to pull much more and much cooler air. But the upgrade is just a tad bit on the pricey side. I also know that a remap or re-tune is necessary with a freer breathing engine. Looking at the air box, I see no reason why we couldn't help the air breathing ability by cutting a few extra ports through which more air can be pulled. It will still be hot air from around the engine but at least there would be more of it!

I like and want the new round air cleaner. I'm just not finding the justification for shelling out 500 clams for it right now. I'd rather spend that cash on a PC V and an Auto Tune. That way, any shop made mods I implement, can be compensated for by the tuner.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Upon further inspection I realized that I was mistaken. I see that there are "pipes" that pull air through the frame from the front of the motorcycle...before the engine just like I was talking about. So I don't know if adding more holes to the backing plate would help. :eek: Now that I see them, I remember reading about that. D'oh!

#3 ·
Upon further inspection I realized that I was mistaken. I see that there are "pipes" that pull air through the frame from the front of the motorcycle...before the engine just like I was talking about. So I don't know if adding more holes to the backing plate would help. :eek: Now that I see them, I remember reading about that. D'oh!
I remember reading about the air induction too and how it was engineered so the intake would not pull hot air in from around the engine.

#4 ·
I went to the hardware store and got a few things the other day.

A big roll of two sided Velcro tape.
A huge chrome plated rat trap.

When I got home, I carefully applied the Velcro tape to several locations on and around my motorcycle.
I then carefully applied the Velcro tape to the back of that big chrome rat trap.

Now when I contemplate converting factory engineering to shade tree engineering on any component I install the rat trap there.

I've learned that I can't turn wrenches or screwdrivers with busted up fingers.

Measure twice and cut once.

#6 ·
So I popped the cover off the AC today. Popped is not exactly how it went. The bolts were very tight and the bottom one just rounded out without budging. WTF are these guys doing with the torquing of the fasteners on these bikes? I had to cut the bottom one off with a rotary cutter. Of course it chewed up some of the chrome but at least it's on the bottom and out of sight.

Anyway, I digress. Looking at the air box, I see only a few ports for the air to enter the filter. Those slots are right next to the forward cylinder head pulling the hottest air possible save for right off the header pipe. I found this to be a bit strange. On my VRod, the air was pulled from the front of the bike before the heat of the engine could warm it up. There was also a lot more air capacity. Even so, VRod owners routinely added more air capability by cutting away some of the air box top or removing the top completely. (Semi-topless and Topless.)

Now I know that with the AC upgrade from Indian, the Big Sucker air cleaner is wide open to pull much more and much cooler air. But the upgrade is just a tad bit on the pricey side. I also know that a remap or re-tune is necessary with a freer breathing engine. Looking at the air box, I see no reason why we couldn't help the air breathing ability by cutting a few extra ports through which more air can be pulled. It will still be hot air from around the engine but at least there would be more of it!

I like and want the new round air cleaner. I'm just not finding the justification for shelling out 500 clams for it right now. I'd rather spend that cash on a PC V and an Auto Tune. That way, any shop made mods I implement, can be compensated for by the tuner.

Thoughts?
Well, look at it this way......how often do you change your air filter element? The filter element inside is $60, so depending on how often you change it, it wouldn't take very long to have $500 tied up in filter elements!!

#9 ·
If you need to find out about getting more air just leave of the chrome cover & ride around to see if there is a difference

#10 ·
I went to the hardware store and got a few things the other day.

A big roll of two sided Velcro tape.
A huge chrome plated rat trap.

When I got home, I carefully applied the Velcro tape to several locations on and around my motorcycle.
I then carefully applied the Velcro tape to the back of that big chrome rat trap.

Now when I contemplate converting factory engineering to shade tree engineering on any component I install the rat trap there.

I've learned that I can't turn wrenches or screwdrivers with busted up fingers.

Measure twice and cut once.
Get some one else to measure & cut all your bits & you can relax & stay in the shade
Is the next accessory Chrome rat traps will they come with fringes??

#11 ·
Every time I think of Chrome Rat Traps I get a mental image of the rat with his head caught in the trap....all of his rat buddies lining up behind him....yeah, sick, I know....I wish I had never seen that cartoon in the first place. lol

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.