Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been addressed but with summer around the corner a. how does the heat compare stock? b. I'm curious as to MPG comparison?

Thanks

·
Rider
943 Posts
116 with a good tune will get better mileage I regularly get over 50 with the cruise and being mellow. More cubes more heat but again a good tune will help with that.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Heat was never an issue when I borrowed a 19' Chieftain with a 116 for a week during the summer.

I'm located in Southern CA

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,883 Posts
Sorry if this has already been addressed but with summer around the corner a. how does the heat compare stock? b. I'm curious as to MPG comparison?

Thanks
My Chieftain with a 116 has 585 cams and puts 120HP to the pavement. I feel no difference .. ...go figure

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had 2 models of the Roadmaster and currently own a 2019. I haven't had a chance to test drive the Roadmaster Dark Horse which comes stock with the 116. I am curious about wind protection with the new style fairing, if there's a noticeable power difference, or heat difference.

Regarding heat: the 2019 was a big improvement over my 2018. The rear cylinder shut off works pretty good.

My original plan was to wait until they came out with a touring version of the challenger but I've been patiently watching as a few bugs are worked out on those.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't know about stock to stock comparison of the 111 vs 116, but the 111 with stage 1 and 2 vs the 116 with stage 1 and 2 is really no comparison. The 116 is way more powerful based on butt feel. I keep it on tour mode all the time which is plenty powerful for me...LOL.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know about stock to stock comparison of the 111 vs 116, but the 111 with stage 1 and 2 vs the 116 with stage 1 and 2 is really no comparison. The 116 is way more powerful based on butt feel. I keep it on tour mode all the time which is plenty powerful for me...LOL.
Have you been able to do a comparison of the heat or mpg difference between those 2 motors?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Miles per gallon appears to be similar to what I was getting with the 111 in the winter. Cold weather always sucks for mpg. Via calculation I'm currently getting around 40mpg. MPG is a sore point with me and Ride Command 2. They left out that calculator on Ride Command 2 on my new 2020 RM. All the 116 engine 'enhancements' I have are through Indian only at this time. As far as heat goes I can't tell yet. I'll know better when it starts getting warmer out. I've got the rear cylinder deactivation but it's too cool for that now and I haven't got stopped in very slow riding situation.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Miles per gallon appears to be similar to what I was getting with the 111 in the winter. Cold weather always sucks for mpg. Via calculation I'm currently getting around 40mpg. MPG is a sore point with me and Ride Command 2. They left out that calculator on Ride Command 2 on my new 2020 RM. All the 116 engine 'enhancements' I have are through Indian only at this time. As far as heat goes I can't tell yet. I'll know better when it starts getting warmer out. I've got the rear cylinder deactivation but it's too cool for that now and I haven't got stopped in very slow riding situation.
As a daily rider I am always watching the mpg reading on the RC. Not sure how accurate it is. I also have a HD Road Glide, I think the tank is .5 gallons more on it and I can easily get 235-250 / tank not so much on the 2019 Roadmaster with stage 1

·
Registered
421 Posts
MPG can tell you how the bike is managing fuel. After awhile you get to know what the 'average' is. If it's off base then you know something is wrong with the either the fuel or the fuel management. I get gas when the gage says I need it but I like to know how the bike is performing over a tank. It's something I take for granted but when it's not there I really miss it. BTW, it should be back in Ride Command 2 in the next release according to Indian/Polaris.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts