Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been waiting for the backrest to come that I ode red in Sept. now Jan. but this isn't the issue. The luggage rack only rates at 7 lbs. ouch my wife purse will tax the limit!
I have a design ready to bolt up to the new backrest that will look great and measure 12" by 18" using the same mounting points as the back rest for the Chief. As soon as I can get the exact measurement of the rest I will start the build and and put up the result on the site. I figured I best start work on after market stuff because I don't see any outfits running in to take up the void in new parts for us.
;) Well I have been mocking it up today and ready to start putting it into Solid Works so I can move it to a laser cutter. photo.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been waiting on our passengers backrest and luggage rack since October. Yes I paid for it then...
Where did you get your info that the luggage rack is rated for 7lbs? That won't work for me so I need to be looking for an alternative solution. Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the info from the web site and confirmed it with the parts manger at my dealer.

• Includes: Luggage rack and two nuts for easy installation
  • Cargo Capacity: Holds up to 7 lb. of cargo

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been waiting on our passengers backrest and luggage rack since October. Yes I paid for it then...
Where did you get your info that the luggage rack is rated for 7lbs? That won't work for me so I need to be looking for an alternative solution. Thanks
All Luggage racks are rated 5-7 LBS. But will hold a large luggage bag stuffed full. I have a double bag on mine on every trip. Never a problem. It's just a number for legal reasons so you cant sue the manufacture if it broke. I dont think tour packs are rated much more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let's face it, we will all put allot more like 20+ pounds when traveling.
If the rack holds it and appears tuff enough who cares about lawyers and ratings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anybody know what the hold up is on the backrests? Is it a design issue or manufacturing issue?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anybody know what the hold up is on the backrests? Is it a design issue or manufacturing issue?
Spoke with my dealer 2 weeks ago, backrest mounts will not be available until March, there was a issue with the welds. I would rather wait, than have to deal with a recall like on my Victory Cross Country.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I called Polaris last week. The people I talked to had no answers, just questions. If you do call them have your part # of the things you ordered at hand, and give them the numbers, I did not have mine at the time, but it would be interesting to see what they will do for you. I then called my dealer, some more of my parts I ordered have shown up, driver backrest pad and bracket, passenger seat, and I think pass. back rest. Front fork wind deflectors for the Chieftain have no delivery date available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hearing lots of different stories about the "missing" back rests..... It's a good thing Polaris puts out good product because their customer service and follow up is sub par...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been told by the parts guy at the A-Team dealer in Vegas that it will be "late February" for the passenger backrests. Perhaps he gave me a date way out hoping that they'll be coming in sooner, who really knows. I find it frustrating to pay so much for a standard accessory in October and being told it may be late February before it comes in. Also on order is a front bumper - a simple thing that has been shown on lots of other bikes. What's the holdup with that? In fact, the Indian website has lots of stuff "coming soon." What's that all about?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stopped at Legendary Cycles in Fargo, ND. Picked up my solo backrest pad and mounting bracket, passenger seat, backrest pad, and tank bib. Parts man threatened me, the backrest bracket would be in next week. No delivery time on the Chieftain fork wind deflectors. I can understand companies not carrying parts to cut down on overhead, but this is a little extreme. Thank goodness the bike is so damn nice and we have poor riding condition here, or a might be a little upset.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the ship finally landed, the Tall back rest and pad both came into day at the Ateam in Las Vegas, man is my wife going to happy! :eek:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it happen and the wife is a happy :eek: camper, the Tall backrest and pad should up at the Ateam in Las Vegas!! Now the wife will ride with me, and I guess that is a good thing? :confused: Now I can get to work on building out the Luggage rack/ what i was waiting for was the measurements between the built in mount on the rest 9.5 inches. Should have a mock up in about a week and will add some photos.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He didn't call me I was a in looking and asked if as I always do and my order had just shown up! Ordered mine in Aug.with the bike. I hope your hits now! :eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just talked with Indian customer service. It sounds like they have shipped a "limited number" of back rests to dealers with the balance scheduled for late February. I ordered mine in September with my bike however she couldn't tell if mine was in the group that shipped.... The bad news: luggage racks are delayed until April however they are "trying" to improve on this date. We'll see....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where did you get the luggage in the pick. I have been trying to get matching luggage to match my seats but to no avail so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aren ness in dublin ca. Have the front fork wind deflectors in stock . They had a lot of crome finder trim front and back, highway foot pegs, and finderr bars. Give them a call. 1-925-4796-6350. Ness is a major figure in victory motorcycles and now indian motorcycles. Get the picture?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts