Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know... I had posted in the Letter to Polaris thread, but the more I think about it, it really deserves a thread of it's own. I mean... Steve Menneto is the very embodiment of the Indian brand and yet... we haven't heard a word from him. Who better to stand up and tell it like it is? Who would have more knowledge & credibility? And yet......(insert a very very pregnant pause.....) not a peep, twitter, or even a whisper. So, maybe we need to concentrate on trying to get ahold of him, for an accounting of the present SNAFU & have this mess addressed by the top, here & now.
2013issue25_Indian.jpg

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know many of you waiting for Scouts are frustrated, I certainly don't blame you. But, do you really think there is an explanation that can be given by anyone that would make you feel better??? Obviously this is a case of overselling and not being able to meet the volume of product that they sold. Obviously until they can catch up you will have to wait. Obviously the delivery system of these 'backorders' is going to be un-fair. Obviously they will keep telling you its only a short wait when it will probably be a longer one than stated.

I think this is basically a good company who is trying to do right, but is just overwhelmed right now. If you can be patient I think you'll be rewarded, but don't expect a miracle to happen and suddenly 10,000 Scouts show up at the dealerships. Please tell us what Steve Menneto could say or do that would change the situation? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd like to know what's holding up my hard lower fairings? It's been 3 months, and nobody knows anything. Is it a paint problem? If it is, I can understand and wait for them to get it straightened out, but tell me so I can adjust my expectations. I've seen some posts from people who waited almost a year to get accessories that were purchased with the bike. I doubt it is they are overwhelmed with quantity ordered on those lower fairings, considering what it costs to put them on a Chieftain.:eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm very disappointed. I want to buy a Scout but frankly Steve the complete lack of communication is super troubling....and I mean SUPER troubling. I get production problems...came from manufacturing, but you are forgetting and pissing off your customers....they are "pulling the plug" now. I'm not sure about the company Steve...what have you built to treat your customers for a PREMIUM product like this? They are ignored.

I have now been forced to look at other options...Harley, Triumph, maybe a Victory (granted you might make something off me unless I go used)....many others out there. Your goal should be #1 in customer satisfaction...#1...every day, all the time. To take the Amazon approach here is what they expect from their employees. Guess what they start with first in everything? How many of these do you instill in your company? Frankly if the first is missed you just lost a large % of your customer base.....

Customer Obsession
Leaders start with the customer and work backwards. They work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust. Although leaders pay attention to competitors, they obsess over customers.

Ownership
Leaders are owners. They think long term and don’t sacrifice long-term value for short-term results. They act on behalf of the entire company, beyond just their own team. They never say “that’s not my job."

Invent and Simplify
Leaders expect and require innovation and invention from their teams and always find ways to simplify. They are externally aware, look for new ideas from everywhere, and are not limited by “not invented here." As we do new things, we accept that we may be misunderstood for long periods of time.

Are Right, A Lot
Leaders are right a lot. They have strong business judgment and good instincts.

Hire and Develop the Best
Leaders raise the performance bar with every hire and promotion. They recognize exceptional talent, and willingly move them throughout the organization. Leaders develop leaders and take seriously their role in coaching others.

Insist on the Highest Standards
Leaders have relentlessly high standards - many people may think these standards are unreasonably high. Leaders are continually raising the bar and driving their teams to deliver high quality products, services and processes. Leaders ensure that defects do not get sent down the line and that problems are fixed so they stay fixed.

Think Big
Thinking small is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Leaders create and communicate a bold direction that inspires results. They think differently and look around corners for ways to serve customers.

Bias for Action
Speed matters in business. Many decisions and actions are reversible and do not need extensive study. We value calculated risk taking.

Frugality
We try not to spend money on things that don’t matter to customers. Frugality breeds resourcefulness, self-sufficiency, and invention. There are no extra points for headcount, budget size, or fixed expense.

Vocally Self Critical
Leaders do not believe their or their team’s body odor smells of perfume. Leaders come forward with problems or information, even when doing so is awkward or embarrassing. Leaders benchmark themselves and their teams against the best.

Earn Trust of Others
Leaders are sincerely open-minded, genuinely listen, and are willing to examine their strongest convictions with humility.

Dive Deep
Leaders operate at all levels, stay connected to the details, and audit frequently. No task is beneath them.

Have Backbone; Disagree and Commit
Leaders are obligated to respectfully challenge decisions when they disagree, even when doing so is uncomfortable or exhausting. Leaders have conviction and are tenacious. They do not compromise for the sake of social cohesion. Once a decision is determined, they commit wholly.

Deliver Results
Leaders focus on the key inputs for their business and deliver them with the right quality and in a timely fashion. Despite setbacks, they rise to the occasion and never settle.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'd like to know what's holding up my hard lower fairings? It's been 3 months, and nobody knows anything. Is it a paint problem? If it is, I can understand and wait for them to get it straightened out, but tell me so I can adjust my expectations. I've seen some posts from people who waited almost a year to get accessories that were purchased with the bike. I doubt it is they are overwhelmed with quantity ordered on those lower fairings, considering what it costs to put them on a Chieftain.:eek:
Publish Date:
Jan 27, 2015
By Vince Guerrieri
“In too many cases, growth was strained by our inability to hit production targets,” Wine said. “We left too much on the table last year.”
Problems in the paint department at the company’s factory in Spirit Lake, Iowa, led to delayed shipments of Scouts and two-tone motorcycles, executives said. The same issue was blamed for delays in Victory Magnum shipments during third quarter. The factory was running at 100 percent for most of 2014, save for a factory retooling last spring.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, yes! I think the company owes those who have already put their money down ( drawing no interest I might add) an explanation of what the problem is & what is being done to fix it. Polaris is a huge company and has a large number of resources, but that doesn't mean for one instant that they will directed towards addressing this situation as there are plenty of competing product lines. Yes, I want to know if the paint problem is in fact just that, and not with the tank welds. Yes, I want to know about the false neutrals found on some bikes between 5th & 6th. And what about the trickle of accessories? Which ones will be available & when. Most of all, I want, no deserve, to know when I can expect the bike I ordered. Those are not unreasonable questions. And as the Vice President of the Indian Division, I would hope that Steve Menneto would know the answers. With that information, I could make a decision whether to tough it out or ... spend my money doing something else rather than just wishing & hoping, blindly putting my faith in a company that refuses to communicate with me. It is the squeeky wheel my friend that gets the grease, so once again, yes! I do not mind making some noise.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vince Guerrieri's comments are just so much corporate blatter. Mistakes were made... moving on.. & say... have you seen our new electric bike? Polaris made the mistakes the 3rd & 4th quarter of 2014 & again this quarter. I agree wholeheartedly with BikerKev, someone & I point the finger straight at Steve Menneto, needs to step up to the bar & make things right for their very disappointed customers. Slash the finacing percentage, cut the price, give a large discount on the accessories... what ever it takes to make the customer happy. Certainly not stonewalling! As I hasten to add, the quote from Brain Meyers came from Dealernews.com ( The self proclaimed " Voice of Powersports Retailers Online") & not from Polaris to us.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is like a really hot girlfriend that is truly a hot mess....got to uh ride her once on a demo date, but never around now and you can look at the pictures and drool all day and night but it doesnt bring her back. Now you find out her parents are the reason why she won't see you and they wont tell you what's wrong with her or you! We just want to see her!

....can you tell im bored?

G

·
This is like a really hot girlfriend that is truly a hot mess....got to uh ride her once on a demo date, but never around now and you can look at the pictures and drool all day and night but it doesnt bring her back. Now you find out her parents are the reason why she won't see you and they wont tell you what's wrong with her or you! We just want to see her!

....can you tell im bored?
I have some pictures of her if your interested!.....lol

·
Registered
334 Posts
You know... I had posted in the Letter to Polaris thread, but the more I think about it, it really deserves a thread of it's own. I mean... Steve Menneto is the very embodiment of the Indian brand and yet... we haven't heard a word from him. Who better to stand up and tell it like it is? Who would have more knowledge & credibility? And yet......(insert a very very pregnant pause.....) not a peep, twitter, or even a whisper. So, maybe we need to concentrate on trying to get ahold of him, for an accounting of the present SNAFU & have this mess addressed by the top, here & now.
View attachment 6035
Maybe Mr. Menneto is out in the Midwest picking with Mike Wolfe!!!!

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
View attachment 6035
Seems to me that after bringing the life back into Indian they are trying to kill again.
Alpal

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
This is like a really hot girlfriend that is truly a hot mess....got to uh ride her once on a demo date, but never around now and you can look at the pictures and drool all day and night but it doesnt bring her back.
Maybe she figured YOU'RE not as hot as she had hoped... :)

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with the comments on this thread. We need to hear from Steve Menneto or Scott Wine. If Steve won't do it, maybe his boss will step up. There is so much great customer feedback in this forum that they need to value it and keep it alive. I have a Chief Vintage on order and I feel that, at his point, it is a total act of faith. I sold my Victory a few months ago only to find out that if I had not been a loyal Polaris customer but instead had a Harley, I would have received a $1000 discount. Take care of your customers before you make special offers to those who support your competitors!
I live in western Canada and even though I have an Indian dealer two hours away, they aren't "allowed to sell into another country", so I'm buying it from a dealer over two days riding away. I have to say that the dealer I'm dealing with is outstanding so far!!
I also had to get clarification on pricing because the Canadian site doesn't match current pricing and the pricing on the first page of the site is different from the pricing in the configurator. I provided feedback through the webpage but never got a response.
I have been a CEO of two successful companies and I know the value of customer communications and I've also seen the impact of bad word of mouth communications. In today's connected, online world, word spreads fast and it can destroy a company. Indian needs to open up and provide honest communications before the press turns negative and poor sales follow.
In the meantime, my act of faith continues. The bike is at the dealership and we're waiting for some accessories to arrive and be installed. I hope I'm not still waiting in March or April.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
What number post are you referring to Quinn?
Hi builder. Sorry if I sounded as if I was challenging any one. Was not. Just trying to save you and everyone else the labor of reviewing threads about this issue.

Here's a brief rundown. In the EMail to Polaris thread, RoadDawg posted his attempt to email Scott Wine. I responded and posted my email as well (post #3). I got a response 8 hours later (post #22). Other responses were posts # 48 and #63.

Then the Dear Polaris thread was started by Floyd. Further posts of responses are posts: #9, #10,#12 and #32.

At that point, the communications were turned over to Dan Kiehl (owner of the Forum) and NickJ, our main Admin. As far as I know, Nick has reached out to Steve Menneto at Polaris and negotiations are in play to have Indian join the forum.

All that being said, understand that Polaris is also a DOD contractor for classified vehicles. They may have federal contract issues with participating. But I suspect they are being very careful about the PR impact and making sure the same message is getting out to everyone - something even you and I would do when trying to calm the seas, IMHO.
Hope this explains it. :confused:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
All that being said, understand that Polaris is also a DOD contractor for classified vehicles. They may have federal contract issues with participating.
Hope this explains it. :confused:
As patient as I've been I cannot buy in to this line of crap. This sounds like such a pile of political garbage it is disgusting.
My Scout has nothing to do with any DOD vehicles unless they added the hidden rocket launcher.
Now we are making up excuses for mistakes. Indian already said they have issues. All we are asking is for them to say "Okay guys we are back on track. We apologize."

·
Registered
161 Posts
As patient as I've been I cannot buy in to this line of crap. This sounds like such a pile of political garbage it is disgusting.
My Scout has nothing to do with any DOD vehicles unless they added the hidden rocket launcher.
Now we are making up excuses for mistakes. Indian already said they have issues. All we are asking is for them to say "Okay guys we are back on track. We apologize."
I agree totally! They are having issues with a faulty component. They have halted the line until it is fixed. Would you rather thay ship a bike with a known issue (like HD does) and then have you deal with it on a dealer level? Not me!! I would rather wait and get my new Scout after the problem is fixed. Otherwise go and by an HD!! Only 120000+ recalls last year!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe she figured YOU'RE not as hot as she had hoped... :)
My wife of 21 years says otherwise! I hit my midlife crisis in my 40s and I look pretty damned good with my nutrition and workouts AND I ride a motorcycle already! But I digress......was trying to bring a little humour...possibly poorly done....I like the criticism....it makes me feel wanted being a non-Indian owner/down-payment person around here! 8^)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts