Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been meaning to post up that I modded the turn radius so it has a much better lock to lock for low speed U turns, which is so much better now.
I measured the angle from straight ahead position to left lock and then right lock, each lock from straight ahead was 26 degrees, so 52 degrees all up.
I removed the Indian Wire cover from above headlight which lets you get to lock stops easily, put a carbide cutter in drill and ground the lock stops till I got angle I wanted, took a while as I went easy.
I ended up with 33 degrees each side, 66 degrees all up. Can do U turns now like all my previous bikes.
Great mod and worth the effort of doing it. It was really annoying me the way it was. I see the new model Scout has had this done in factory.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
May well consider this .. Didn't realize how poor the steering radius was on the Scout until got the Dyna which is quite a bit longer but turns far better in the same amount of space ..

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I'm able to turn around in a two lane road so I never really noticed the narrow range being a problem.
I guess I'm just not as observant as I should be, just never thought about it?
Now I'm going to have to worry about that now! ;);):confused:

Where in HELL is my Makita grinder?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is there still enough clearance so no part of the bars or triple hit anything else? Enough clearance for all the wires?

I'm intrigued because the bike definitely needs more steering lock. I wonder how they did it on the 2017 models.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I have been meaning to post up that I modded the turn radius so it has a much better lock to lock for low speed U turns, which is so much better now.
I measured the angle from straight ahead position to left lock and then right lock, each lock from straight ahead was 26 degrees, so 52 degrees all up.
I removed the Indian Wire cover from above headlight which lets you get to lock stops easily, put a carbide cutter in drill and ground the lock stops till I got angle I wanted, took a while as I went easy.
I ended up with 33 degrees each side, 66 degrees all up. Can do U turns now like all my previous bikes.
Great mod and worth the effort of doing it. It was really annoying me the way it was. I see the new model Scout has had this done in factory.
I don't see them on you avatar so I assume you don't have crash bars. I wonder if your mods would be a problem for those who do. Not diss'n, just wondering.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ah sorry I somehow missed all these questions.
No I did not take photos of it as I did it, will try and get some though.
Here you go,

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

But basically just take the Indian cover, that is above the headlight, off, the Scout 60s do not have the cover unless you fitted one like I did.
Once the cover is off you can see the blocks on the steering head that the top triple tree hits on full lock.

I jacked the bike so the front wheel is off ground as you will be moving from lock to lock testing it as you grind the blocks.

I used a cordless drill with a carbide grinding bit, it grinds the alloy very easily. And you can get to the blocks easily with the Indian cover removed.

The blocks on the steering head are what you grind down, just follow the angle that's already there on the blocks, turn forks to hit lock stop block to test all the time between grinding, when the triple tree hits the block it also shows you angle the block should be, and you adjust grinding to suit. I took me quite a while to grind them as I was taking it easy.
The wiring loom that runs to headlight etc is not pulled any harder or put under any sort of extra strain from the extra steering lock modification.

When I got the locks to angle I wanted, I then just touched up the blocks with a bit of black paint even though you do not see them.

I don't see them on you avatar so I assume you don't have crash bars. I wonder if your mods would be a problem for those who do. Not diss'n, just wondering.
I do not see anyway that crash bars would ever be hit by the forks with the extra steering lock, you will know what I mean if you do it.

But the end result has transformed the turning circle and one of the best things I have done for general riding improvement.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I love this steering mod and thank the OP for his posting and pictures. I noticed, I quickly ran out slack in my electrical harness when turning handlebars to the right when doing the mod. However, I normally turn to the left when doing a U-turn. So, I saw no reason why I could not grind a little more off the left turn stop than the right. No harness interference to deal with. Worked really well for me.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Greyhairhoon, that's a real help.

I didn't notice the limited lock when I took this bike for a test ride as I didn't need to park it etc. However, as soon as I took delivery it became very apparent. I need to get the Dremel out and get into it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yea, for a smaller bike it doesn't handle parking garages very well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hell, when I need to make a tight turn, I just grab the front brake, twist the throttle, lean to the left and drop the clutch..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ah sorry I somehow missed all these questions.
No I did not take photos of it as I did it, will try and get some though.
Here you go,

View attachment 107841
View attachment 107817

But basically just take the Indian cover, that is above the headlight, off, the Scout 60s do not have the cover unless you fitted one like I did.
Once the cover is off you can see the blocks on the steering head that the top triple tree hits on full lock.

I jacked the bike so the front wheel is off ground as you will be moving from lock to lock testing it as you grind the blocks.

I used a cordless drill with a carbide grinding bit, it grinds the alloy very easily. And you can get to the blocks easily with the Indian cover removed.

The blocks on the steering head are what you grind down, just follow the angle that's already there on the blocks, turn forks to hit lock stop block to test all the time between grinding, when the triple tree hits the block it also shows you angle the block should be, and you adjust grinding to suit. I took me quite a while to grind them as I was taking it easy.
The wiring loom that runs to headlight etc is not pulled any harder or put under any sort of extra strain from the extra steering lock modification.

When I got the locks to angle I wanted, I then just touched up the blocks with a bit of black paint even though you do not see them.

I do not see anyway that crash bars would ever be hit by the forks with the extra steering lock, you will know what I mean if you do it.

But the end result has transformed the turning circle and one of the best things I have done for general riding improvement.
It's hard to tell how much you took off from the picture. How much did you have to grind off to get it to the 66° point. Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not measure how much I took off the block. What I did was turn handlebars to full left lock, if doing left side block, at start before grinding, then looked at gap between fork tube and fuel tank, then started grinding and kept checking the fork tube/tank gap, the gap gets smaller and you can judge pretty well what's going on and how much you are increasing the lock ( the gap closes). I measured the angles after I was finished and that's just what I ended up with, I was not measuring angles while doing it, I was just going off the gap between fork tube and fuel tank. You do not remove much metal at all while doing all this.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Hi Greyhairhoon, how is The mainland of Australia getting on?

Well, I finally did it. Bought the tools, cleared the shop, dragged out the Dremell and attacked those steering blocks on the Scout front end. Why? The way I have my two bikes in the shed in their stands meant that I was doing three point turns to get out! And then once out it was another three point turn to turn around. Whereas the Intruder? No such thing. So, it was a case just like you did, cover up the bike and grind down one side till my indicator which is repositioned on my Memphis Shades screen, was about 12mm off the fuel tank. Then it was swop time to do the right hand side. Hell it was that quick I didn't even time it. Over in pretty much no time at all. Word of advise to others planning to do this, "Grind a little and check a lot". Safety first people!

As near as I can measure my original steering angle was 19* each side which I found surprising because GHH stated in his opening post that his was 26*. Could this be why some have not noticed the terrible lock to lock of the Scout? Are some worse than others? I know mine was painful.

Well, it pains me no more as I now have roughly 35* each way, about 70* all up and making a wonderful turning circle now possible.

Big thanks to Greyhairhoon for kick starting me into doing something about this problem.

Keep the rubber rolling people!

Alpal

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah all good Alpal, Santa has been and gone, and just waiting on the new year to hit.
So good to hear you and others getting something out of that mod, I know every time I do a U turn on road or in my driveway I think how much better the bike is with it done.
You only had 12* movement, I dont know how you put up with that for so long Alpal, I thought mine was bad.
That lock stop is just a rough casting that, I think they just forgot to machine it to get a set angle, and if yours was so different to mine that would explain it a bit.
The new model Scout must get the machined down stops now to fix the issue we had.
And another big thanks to you Alpal for selling me your old handlebars and sending them to me all the way across the Ditch to me here in Aussieland.
Happy new Year to all.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
You gotta love those guys from down under... you gotta have big balls to start grinding on the frames stops.

Okay, where's that damn Dremel tool...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts