Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In June my voltage regulator went out on my 17 chieftain. Ordered a new one on line installed all was good. Now have 800 miles on this voltage regulator and a week ago I updated with newest maps and I seen there was also a update that I hadn’t installed for 19’s and priors. I did this on Saturday, went to go riding on Sunday and a mile
From my house the battery light came on. Went back home thinking maybe the battery just needed a charge some the down loads did take some time!? Charged battery left and 20 miles in battery light again? Pulled battery charged and took in yes had a bad cell. Great problem solved! Nope 20 miles later battery light again and voltage dropping to 11 and under? I did also change the fob battery just because! Made an appointment trailered to the dealer yesterday and the diagnosed the voltage regulator as bad?! Wonderful! Everything else checked out good apparently? They didn’t have one in stock so I drove a cross the state picked one up went home and installed started up and all looked good. Left to go on a ride and noticed voltage stating to drop after 6 miles by 18 miles the Battery light is blinks again and voltage is dropping so back home I am! I will be taking it back in but I’m assuming as the bike gets hot the stator isn’t producing enough juice to keep the battery charged this the reason they thought it was the voltage regulator because it was losing volts? Been a little discouraged the last week thinking how can another Voltage regulator be bad already? Well yeah it’s an electrical item so anything can happen, but now I’m guessing I just spent $250 on a regulator and $136 on diagnostic that fixed nothing? At the dealership they did pull a voltage regulator off a new bike and try on mine and it worked but they never did ride and get the bike hot to test it out!? Hoping they figure it out soon summer is coming to an end fast here in Wisconsin!

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I went through pretty much the same thing with my old Yamaha.

At first the stator tested as good, or within specs, and yet I went through replaced voltage regulator and battery before finding out the stator tested as bad.

Obviously you can’t test the stator performance during riding.
I believe I might have saved myself the trouble if I tested it hot instead of cold.

I’m guessing stator testing should be simple enough on the Indian too, just probably should make sure it’s done at normal riding temperature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it’s very frustrating and expensive! Hopefully it will all work out this week and they can get to the source of the problem.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Here's a few thoughts.

When you bought the stator online did you get the Indian one or elsewhere? Lots of riders recommend an aftermarket one from Rick's instead of OEM.

Because of the way the stator produces increasing voltage at higher rpm, the stator has more work to do to keep it under control compared with an alternator on a car with constant voltage across rev range. On a bike the stator, the regulator, and the battery form a set of triplets and when things get tough they feel each other's pain.

If a regulator goes out it can cook the battery and/or it can burn out some coils in the stator.
If the bike has a short that impacts the stator and overheats one of the coils it can burn out the regulator.
If either is uncontrolled the battery can overcharge and fail.
Hopefully the dealer will check the stator condition, which is sometimes forgotten when replacing a regulator.

Last thought - do you have anything extra wired to the bike that comes directly from the battery? These might include an aftermarket USB or power socket, amplifier, puddle lights etc. If so, check that all connections are fully functioning and waterproof. If any wiring coming straight off the battery gets wet and goes to ground (even a small leak) the regulator reads it as the battery needing extra voltage and it goes out of normal operating range, such as charging the battery at 16 volts or more.

I hope you get it sorted out. Many years ago I rode a Suzuki GS1000. The 1980s GS bikes were famous for stator/regulator burnouts and getting the bike set up for longevity was a pain. It's very frustrating trying to chase down these problems.

·
Bronze Member
1,818 Posts
I have heard of bad voltage regulator ground wires continuously taking out voltage regulators. Evidently, it leaves them unable to shunt the excess voltage correctly. I can't say that I have heard of this happening on an Indian motorcycle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts