Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Scout. Bought the bike used a year ago, no warranty. Went for a ride Saturday and noticed a small puddle on the floor Sunday. It appears to be coming from a plug with wires through it,
IMG_0187.jpg
midway bottom left side. My buddy says its the stater box. My local mechanic says the entire stater needs to be replaced. Is this true? And if so, is it something that I can do myself. I'm pretty handy around a set of tools. Any and all help and advise is welcomed. Thanks

·
Diamond member
9,082 Posts
Have Verify that's it's not coming from the side cover above? Those sometimes come loose and can leak.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I noticed oil leaks from that area twice in the past 60,000 miles. Decreased and dried the area then hit it with baby powder to determine where the leak was coming from. The leak showed up coming from a cover bolt that just needed a re-torque, and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Have Verify that's it's not coming from the side cover above? Those sometimes come loose and can leak.
My cover bolts actually vibrated out. The cover was working its way out too and oil was present. Replaced bolts and cover o-ring seal.

·
Bronze member
1,830 Posts
Thanks all. I will check all the bolts around the case. Any idea what the torque on them is?
88.5 in-lbs or 7.375 ft-lbs, in sequence as pictured (page 245 of Scout service manual):
upload_2018-2-7_17-1-35.png

Reactions: emory c and Jim59

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar leak. Mine was from the wire having to much tension pulling it to the side. So that clamp on the top right in your picture. IRRC i ran the wire on the outside of it and then used a zip tie to fasten it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a similar leak. Mine was from the wire having to much tension pulling it to the side. So that clamp on the top right in your picture. IRRC i ran the wire on the outside of it and then used a zip tie to fasten it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have noticed that those wires are very tight. It seems like the rubber grommet is pulling out. I will look for the clamp and try the same thing. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
88.5 in-lbs or 7.375 ft-lbs, in sequence as pictured (page 245 of Scout service manual):
View attachment 378828
Thanks for the info. I purchased a lift and tightened the cover bolts. As of yet, no more leak. We are getting ready for a ride, so I'll be looking after its good and warmed up. Thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey is this stator plug oil leak common with Scouts? We had that exact issue "fixed" by the dealer last year as a warranty repair..

.. now we just noticed that same area is oily again :( really frustrating!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey is this stator plug oil leak common with Scouts? We had that exact issue "fixed" by the dealer last year as a warranty repair..

.. now we just noticed that same area is oily again :( really frustrating!
I started this thread about a year ago. Today, went to pull the bike out for a ride and noticed the oil on the floor again. Not a lot, but there none the less. I'm thinking that this may be a common, and somewhat frequent occurrence. A torque wrench and some hex head sockets will fix you up. Very easy repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife’s 2016 scout sixty is doing the same thing. Started about a month ago with a small puddle of oil under the side stand. I wiped up the oil and traced it back to the rubber boot. It was pushed out a fair bit so I pushed it in with pliers and the leak stopped for a few weeks. Started leaking again a few days ago and shoved it back in again. I’ll try torquing the cover screws and checking the tension on the wires tomorrow. I’ve heard the dealers have been slopping some RTV in there to seal the boot leak too. Guess we’ll see what works...

·
Registered
12 Posts
2017 Scout Sixty. Was lubing the side stand the other day and noticed oil/grease collecting on the bottom of the crankcase right near this plug. The plug was gooey and it looked like it's kind of coming out a bit. Checked the drawings in the service manual, and that plug appears to have multiple rows of ribs on it, most of which are inside the stator cover. I looked a little closer where the stator cover meets the crankcase and noticed that the source of the seeping oil appears to be farther up the cover than where the stator wire plug is located, so that led me to believe that the plug is not the source of the leak; it just happens to be where oil collects, and since it's a rubber grommet going into the engine, it's a natural suspect for a fluid leak. Tightened the stator cover bolts to 88.5 in-lbs. in the pattern from the factory service manual (shown in LongRoadHome's post above), and many of the bolts had indeed worked their way loose over the 7100 miles I've put on the bike. I've ridden about a hundred miles since re-torquing the bolts and cleaning up all the oil. So far so good. I went around to the other side of the bike and re-torqued the bolts on the primary cover and clutch cover, and found that many of those had worked loose as well. Weirdly, the torque spec for those is 88 in-lbs (0.5 in-lbs different than the stator cover bolts). Some of the primary cover bolts are tough to get on because the exhaust is in the way. For those, I had to use a small allen wrench and just kind of guess on the tightness.

Keeping a close eye on the area where the oil was seeping out before. I'll update my post if anything changes.

tl;dr - That item "check fasteners" in the owner's manual is not optional. All of the bolts on this thing are finger-tight, so they will work themselves loose over time. CHECK YOUR FASTENERS!

·
Registered
27 Posts
2017 Scout Sixty.

tl;dr - That item "check fasteners" in the owner's manual is not optional. All of the bolts on this thing are finger-tight, so they will work themselves loose over time. CHECK YOUR FASTENERS!
Also have a 2017 that had this issue. It was under warranty so I brought it in. Didn’t bother checking the bolts. They said they replaced the stator and that the new one had an updated seal where the wires came out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also have a 2017 that had this issue. It was under warranty so I brought it in. Didn’t bother checking the bolts. They said they replaced the stator and that the new one had an updated seal where the wires came out.
Good to know! Do you happen to have any of the info from that repair? Was there a TSB/recall or anything of the sort? Only reason I ask is that I'm out of warranty now, so if this ends up being what the issue is, and it was a superceded part that was known to be faulty, I'd like to have that info when I go to get the repair done so that maybe they'll cut me a break.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There wasn’t a service bulletin or a recall. It was just something the tech noticed when he got the new one. I can see if the part number was on the paper work but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. Started at around 700 miles. 2019 bobber. Dealership said it was the sensor plug leaking, so that's what they worked on to fix it.

BUT

I always felt my leak was coming from higher up than the plug. If you look above the plug, there is a weep hole in the stator cover. Dealer said it was normal for a little oil to seep from that hole, but lesser amounts than what I was seeing. Their repair to the plug didnt fix the issue, so I think my assessment might be correct. What I don't know is what an oil seepage there could indicate other than some bad seal somewhere inside the engine and stator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There wasn’t a service bulletin or a recall. It was just something the tech noticed when he got the new one. I can see if the part number was on the paper work but I doubt it.
Good to know, thanks. I looked up the parts on Indian's parts website. It would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 for the new stator cover, and new stator. Not interested in paying that for what Indian essentially admitted was faulty parts from the get-go (since they replaced them with new part numbers). I've put a couple hundred miles on since I cleaned everything up and re-torqued the stator cover bolts. So far so good. Hoping that was the cause of the issue.

I'm having a similar issue. Started at around 700 miles. 2019 bobber. Dealership said it was the sensor plug leaking, so that's what they worked on to fix it.

BUT

I always felt my leak was coming from higher up than the plug. If you look above the plug, there is a weep hole in the stator cover. Dealer said it was normal for a little oil to seep from that hole, but lesser amounts than what I was seeing. Their repair to the plug didnt fix the issue, so I think my assessment might be correct. What I don't know is what an oil seepage there could indicate other than some bad seal somewhere inside the engine and stator.

Yes I noticed this hole as well, but on mine, it doesn't look like there's evidence of oil coming out of there. The oil evidence on my stator cover starts a little further down from that, right around where the crankshaft position sensor is. I'm hoping re-torquing all the bolts resolved the issue for me since I'm out of warranty. Time will tell.

EDIT - 10/10/19 - Tightening the bolts on the stator cover did not help, so I tried re-positioning the little metal clip that attaches to one of the bolts on the belt cover (the one that holds the stator wires against the body of the bike) so that it puts less tension on the stator wires. No matter what I tried, the oil still seeps out. I'm 99% convinced now, after cleaning the oil away several times, that the seeping oil is in fact coming from the stater wire plug area. I've contacted my dealer to see if there's a bulletin about this issue. I'm out of warranty, so getting this fixed on my own dime would probably cost close to a grand with parts and labor, so hopefully there's something they can do for me. I'll provide another update when I've heard back.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts