Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my scout Sixty out today for a spring run and all was good until I stopped to get some fuel. I pulled up and got the fuel and after a few words with a Harley rider, I hit the starter and bike turns over just great. It goes thru a start cycle and dies. No big deal, I just turn key off and then back on to make sure it was primed. Okay, did the same thing again....it did the same thing. I have a new battery too. On the 3nd. try it turned over about 1/2 a turn and started. The Harley dude looked at me and I looked at him and we both give the " good on you " sign. I rode on home and after parking it in the garage, I let it sit a few mins. and it started it again on the second try. I have a April 2017 vin I have over 7,655 miles on it. Never had this happen before. and it made me start thinking I need a new starter. I was thinking that the starter it came with would be fine. Could it be something else ? Can someone help me ? It was very embarrassing. I have always bragged about these new Indians. HELP I am worn out going to the dealer all the time. God Bless.

Jayimpalaman USN (Retired)

·
Bronze member
1,799 Posts
There was a soft recall on early Scout starters. I would ask dealer. Also, double check your connections.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Jonscout. I forgot to say that it happens when the motor is hot. Starts good when cold. Jayimpalaman

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the Harley was good, rode off fine. I just got it to doing it again 4 times in the garage. It would turn over about 4 good turns and then just stop. I would turn the key off and back on and try it again. Motor is warm. 3nd. time it would fire up. I did this back and forth about 8 times. And on 3nd. try it would start. Few times did it work on the first try. I let it cool down and then try it again. Started up fine. After sitting for about 1 1/2 hours. Jayimpalaman

·
Registered
222 Posts
Very strange Jim, doesn’t sound like a battery problem to me. I know the 2016s (some) had a starter problem, mine is a 16 with (knocking on wood) close to 9k fun and no trouble miles and original starter in it. Have a talked to your dealer yet? Good luck my friend!

·
Bronze member
1,352 Posts
Check all your connections on battery, starter, etc. maybe some corrosion at a terminal eye. If all these are ok, then If it only acts up when hot I would bet the starter is the problem. Pulling more current -amps when hot is typical of a bad starter. If you can take the starter off an take to an alternator/starter shop and let them check/ohm it out. Chances are they can fix it too if it is bad and will be better than a new cheap ass built one .Polaris buys Lucas or other brand that are pos.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a good thinking rodent62. I will try and get it in the shop for a replacement by Indian. Those alternator/starter shop's are going away you know. Getting harder to find. Thanks, and God Bless.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it is in the shop now. I told them I could get it next week sometime. Service man told me they were some SOFT recalls out also for my Sixty. He said he would look into it. This man is good and makes the brand look good. That is the only reason I hang with Indian sometime. My Sixty has been in the shop a little too much if you know what i mean. The other motorcycles that give me a hard time was a Norton 750SS, and a 1979 Triumph 750 Bonneville. That's it. But, keep them fingers crossed... maybe it will be fine this time around. Remember, I am mainly there for the starter recall. (NEW STARTER) Who knows, maybe that will fix it all !!! God Bless.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay gang, got my Sixty back from Dealer today and the New starter did the trick. Starting like it is brand new. Old starter was dragging more than I thought. I am happy. God Bless.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay gang, got my Sixty back from Dealer today and the New starter did the trick. Starting like it is brand new. Old starter was dragging more than I thought. I am happy. God Bless.
Been a week or so, bike runs a top !! It was the starter all the time. God bless..

·
Bronze member
1,352 Posts
Hopefully you got an upgraded version with the new starter. Previously some new old stock was used to replace the junk ones that went bad. Replacing a bad starter with a new old type ( yet to take a dump) is counter productive . Wishing you the best. My Scout was built after the “ bad run of starters” if mine ever does crap out I’ll get the armature rewound and dipped, install new brushes, and grease the brgs. There are still shops /individuals that rebuild starters , generators and alternators for tractors, older vehicles that a lot of parts don’t exist, rare or hard to find, so these get rebuilt and usually better and last longer than original. These guys are probably working as we speak. Good luck . Hope you never need to replace another.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I was told that to replace a new starter (out of pocket) would be over $400.00. so I hope mine will last. I believe you may have a good one rodent62. God Bless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts