Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I just pushed the starter button before pushing the ignition button and guess what...the bikes ignition turned on and then I pushed the starter button again and it started.
Did anyone know that?
Would think it doesn't do any harm!
Franz

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
From page 70 of the owner's manual

Operation
Starting the Engine
The starter interlock system allows the engine to be started only when the transmission is in neutral, or when the transmission is in gear with the clutch disengaged (clutch lever pulled in). The engine should NEVER start in any gear except neutral if the sidestand is down. See page 50.
Tip: If the motorcycle runs out of fuel, prime the system before attempting to restart the engine. See page 69.
1. Perform the Pre-Ride Inspections. See page 57. Properly secure any cargo.
2. Straddle the motorcycle and bring it to the fully upright position. Retract the sidestand.
Tip: When the electrical system is activated with either the power switch or the starter switch, the key fob must be within range. See page 26.
3. Move the engine stop/run switch to the RUN position.
4. Shift the transmission to neutral.
5. Apply the front brakes. Disengage the clutch (pull the clutch lever fully toward the handlebar).
6. Press and hold the starter switch to engage the onetouch starting feature, which activates the electrical system and starts the engine. Another option is to turn the power switch on, and with the throttle closed, press and release the starter switch to start the engine. The starter motor will crank until the engine starts, but no
more than 3 seconds. If the engine does not start, wait five seconds, then try again.
7. If starting a COOL engine, DO NOT open the throttle while starting. Idle speed is computer controlled and idle speed will adjust automatically depending on engine temperature and air temperature. Allow the engine to warm up for 30 seconds minimum at low RPM after starting. Do not run the engine above 2500 RPM. If starting a WARM engine, DO NOT open the throttle while starting.
8. If either the check engine indicator or the low oil pressure indicator (or display) remains on after the engine starts, stop the engine immediately. Refer to the low oil pressure indicator/display information on page 32 or 34.
NOTICE: Operating an engine with a misfire or non-firing cylinder can overheat the catalytic converter, which could result in catalytic converter damage and loss of emission control.
DO NOT OPERATE the motorcycle if a misfire or non-firing cylinder exists.
(continued on next page)
But who reads instruction manuals anyway :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually red the owners manual on things I wanted to know, but must have not paid much attention to the starting procedure of the bike.
I thought I discovered something new here...obviously not!
Thanks for putting that article up...I feel real stupid now.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
No need to feel stupid, it happens to the best of us. That's why I put the smiley at the end of the post :cool:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Don't feel bad I just discovered it last week as well an I have had mine since May !

·
Registered
172 Posts
I found out from a friend that I didn't need to hold the starter button until the bike starts. Just hit the starter button to turn the bike on let the fuel pump do it's thing. The hit the button again viola we'er off.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
When i purchased my Chieftain in July, the dealer went over the starting routine and yes this is normal. Id like to think the dealer is well informed and although they cannot advise everything that the manual notes, they would show this feature!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts