Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Chieftain . I'm having a issue that after stopping for gas sometimes I can turn the bike on but the starter button is dead. Turn it on and off a few times and it will start. At first I thought maybe it wasn't picking up the FOB. I read if that is the case the power button should flash and that isn't happening. Anyone have any idea what could be the cause and fix?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,057 Posts
Having the power button on shouldn't prevent the starter button from working.
It shouldn't, but give it a try as troubleshooting. If you turn the bike on with the power switch, and then the starter button fails to work consistently, but not if you use the starter button to turn the bike on, it could indicate something with the ecm or starter.

That would be good information to have if bringing it to a dealer's attention. Likewise, if the no start continues with just the starter button, it would point to the actual starter button being the issue.

I would also suggest going through and making sure all the battery connections are clean and tight. These bikes do funny things when connections are loose.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I suggested that because when I first got my bike I was pushing the power button, then the start button. Sometimes it started, sometimes it didn't. Dealer suspected I wasn't giving the power button enough time to load before I used the start button. Once I used only the start, I never had anymore issues.

·
Bronze member
2,983 Posts
Is your bike involved in that Neutral safety switch recall??? Your description of your problem is one of the symptoms involving that switch! If ya play with the shifter alittle bit,slightly moving it up and or down alittle, while trying to start it,it just might crank over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It shouldn't, but give it a try as troubleshooting. If you turn the bike on with the power switch, and then the starter button fails to work consistently, but not if you use the starter button to turn the bike on, it could indicate something with the ecm or starter.

That would be good information to have if bringing it to a dealer's attention. Likewise, if the no start continues with just the starter button, it would point to the actual starter button being the issue.

I would also suggest going through and making sure all the battery connections are clean and tight. These bikes do funny things when connections are loose.
Thanks for the reply. I figured it out today. They had already done the recall for the Shift Neutral issue. I realized the problem is even when in neutral the bike thinks it's in 2nd gear. I have already made a service appointment and they said they had gotten some bad replacements for the recall. Mine must have been one of the bad ones. When I park the bike is in neutral when I go to start it it thinks it's in 2nd.. 2nd show's on the display and either killing the power and turning it back on fixes it or I have to play with the shifter to get it to recognize it's in neutral.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your bike involved in that Neutral safety switch recall??? Your description of your problem is one of the symptoms involving that switch! If ya play with the shifter alittle bit,slightly moving it up and or down alittle, while trying to start it,it just might crank over.
That was it. my full reply is below

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
It's interesting that the bike thinks it's in 2nd.

The problem with the original sensor was that the difference between the resistance values for each gear was insufficient to guarantee the VCM would read it accurately. When I checked the schematic, the difference was only about 1% between gear changes. My thought was that they would change the resistors to give something like 5% or 10% instead.

What they did was swap the resistors for 1st and 6th and left the others the same. This meant 1st and neutral were far enough apart for the VCM to recognise it. However, it left the neutral to 2nd the same 1% difference as it had always been and still too close for reliability.

So now I wonder if the original problem will start to show up once the replacements have been in service for a while and the contacts lose their polish.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
Here's a question.

You say you park the bike in neutral. Do you stop in 2nd and go to neutral, or stop in 1st and go to neutral?

I wonder if when you go from 2nd to neutral, the VCM is not seeing the change.

·
Bronze member
2,983 Posts
I just made a second appointment for Monday of next week to have my switch changed as it's a recall. [got rained out on the first try last week] In the meantime,if and when I have the problem,all I do is giggle the shift lever alittle bit and she would then crank over.When ya hit the power button,you should immediately hear the fuel pump run.If ya don't,and as mentioned on here by another gentleman,just giggle the shift lever a little bit with your foot until the green neutral light comes on and or ya hear the fuel pump run.Then hit the start button and she should go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a question.

You say you park the bike in neutral. Do you stop in 2nd and go to neutral, or stop in 1st and go to neutral?

I wonder if when you go from 2nd to neutral, the VCM is not seeing the change.
Usually go from 1st to N

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
Usually go from 1st to N
Maybe the VCM just likes 2nd. I remember I used to have to move the shifter around like Davetac said to tell the bike it was in neutral. One day the green N was lit up, it started OK and I was putting my helmet on and the motor stopped. I looked down and the neutral light had gone and it said 2nd. So it read that one wrong even after it got it right and there was no movement of the gear lever.

I'm beginning to think 2nd is the VCM's favorite child. :)

·
Bronze member
2,983 Posts
Maybe it just needs to be reflashed.I don't know.This coming Monday,[weather permitting] I'm getting my switch changed [ under their recall ] and the system reflashed,which is part of the recall.So we shall see what happens.Letcha all know after it's done!! Hopefully,I'll "atleast" , :unsure: make it home!! lol lol

·
Bronze member
2,983 Posts
Got mine changed this AM.We make a joke about not making it home after this recall is done.Well, after I left the dealership this morning,and for the very first time since owning this machine,it stumbled,like someone shut the key off,returned to normal, stumbled again,then returned to normal and ran perfectly after that.But for a few seconds there,I thought I'd be pushing it or calling the dealership to come get me.lol It's funny now,but at that moment,I saw no humor in it what so ever.lol lol Dave!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts