Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day glorious peeps!

So yes, another scout doesn't start. Starter was changed less than a month ago, so doubt that is the problem.

I have experienced the following symptoms:
1. Before it reached to current state of not starting no matter the number of attempts, it used to sometimes (primarily when it's ridden for a while) choke on a hot startup and the dash resets. This was after the starter change. The dash resets and sometimes the fuel light pops up and stays on until I turn it off and on again. Usually starts fine if I wait for a couple of mins.
2. Intermittent coughing: usually on colder days. The standard cough that you would expect on a Sportster running on a cold day.
3. I was at a traffic light yesterday and I was about to move, slapped in first gear, and as I turned the throttle it coughed and stalled. Since then, the engine turns a couple of cycles then dash resets and nothing happens. Max number of cycles before it resets is 4. One time there was a pop but no real ignition is happening.

I have it sitting at the dealer for diagnosis now. I just wanted to get your feedback to make this process faster if someone had a similar issue as I need it for an annual charity run on Friday.

What I thought of so far:
1. Bad/loose connection somewhere.
2. Crankshaft sensor issue.
3. Dead battery? But shouldn't it not be able to turn the bike?
4. Fuel pump (although I do smell gas when I try to start it).
5. Regulator.

Would appreciate input. I trust the dealer and they've been great with me so far but having one of the first scouts (if not the first) to be registered here meant that I have to deal with all "first version" issues and surprises.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,095 Posts
I had a similar issue a few months ago and I think it was bad gasoline that might have had water in it. It would take a few if not several attempts to get the bike to start after spitting and coughing, also had that flooded gas smell as well. My Scout is a near new 2019 model and no starter problems so far. Right now it starts up just fine.

·
Bronze member
1,910 Posts
I have experienced the following symptoms:
1. Before it reached to current state of not starting no matter the number of attempts, it used to sometimes (primarily when it's ridden for a while) choke on a hot startup and the dash resets.
Hey Sam Ghouri
What choke?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,095 Posts
The fuel injection just enrichens the mixture and speeds up the idle during warmup. No choke involved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts