Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any Chieftian owners tried starting their bike without the key fob? In case I ever get caught without mine, I thought I better make sure I knew how to start my bike using my 4 digit code. I tried about a dozen times, but I couldn't get the code to work. I do have a zero as one of my digits which may be causing my problem, but I'm still using the process shown in the owners manual and I can't get it to fire up. If anyone has any tips for me, I'd appreciate it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where do you park your bike? I would be more than happy to come over and type in 10,000 different combinations until I figure out which one works. Of course, I may not bring it back once I do figure it out. Totally kidding, but I just couldn't resist. I'm not sure how the darn thing even works.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must be quick about it. You only have 20 seconds to complete PIN entry or the system will shutdown.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use power switch to turn on power. Enter code within 20 seconds of turning on power.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did it at the dealership, after they did it, and I did it again the next day after a full day of riding home. It works very well. I really like the way they did this. Are you sure your code is installed?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer said there was a standard code installed already and a guy with a computer came out and re-programmed it for my specific code. Once you know how to do it, it should be easy to remember. It's left (number of digits), right (number of digits) and repeat for last two numbers. If you stop by the dealer, I'm sure they'll go over it again with you. It's a pretty cool feature.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. When I picked up the bike the salesman told me they had a hard time figuring out how it worked so he didn't demonstrate how it worked.
I thought the code came from the factory, are you saying the dealer has to program it in?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out talking with the tech at the dealer the owners manual is hosed. I tried to change my PIN according to the directions and had no luck. I go back this Thursday for my 500 mile service and will have them redo the PIN because mine no longer works. Apparently holding the cancel in for the ten seconds clears the code. Oh well at least the fob works. Otherwise I am having a ball with the bike. My Red Vintage is great, the wife can't wait for the back rest to come in. Neither can I for that matter.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your bike came with a factory installed code egnarp. My dealer asked me what code I'd like and I had one. They changed the factory code to mine and showed me how to use it. It sounds like Volkmeister's dealer did the same for him. It is a shame that yours did not. Go to page 115 in your Owners Manual and try to re-set your code. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been playing with my code this evening after reading this and I am not having any luck :-( I've been reading the owners manual and following the directions in there to reset my code, but it doesn't seem to want to take... I will call the dealership tomorrow and see if someone can talk me through it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good thing you guys identified this little fob-pin-code mishap before an actual mishap. :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make sure the fob is out of range. If the bike senses it you won't be able to reset the PIN.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update - My code set by the dealership is working. I was using the wrong code last night. You must enter the correct security code FIRST, before you are able to set your own code. That is the part that is not clearly stated in the Owners Manual. I have now been able to set my own code, and can turn on the bike without the FOB if needed.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got this fax from my dealership service department this morning. It explains the proceedure a bit better than the Owners Manual.
[attachment='22656:view']Team Tips.jpg[/attachment]

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a month ago I was getting gas and a harley rider and his budy were pushing the guys bike so I went to help.
Red light blinking on dash I asked where his fob was he said he for got it at home. He was 90miles from home.
yup long ways back

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealer called me today and said Indian mailed him a revised instruction sheet on how to use the code. He's going to mail a copy to me. I'm guessing it matches the instructions posted above by CanoWhupass.
Love the bike so far. I already feel like I've been riding it for a year based on the way it handles.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel the same way you do about the Chieftain egnarp. Very cool. I'm glad this worked out as it did. I really like the PIN system.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I played with it yesterday on my Classic and figured it out. They just forgot the line that you have to enter the factory code first...works like a charm and loving the bike more with every mile I ride.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
6736 said:
a month ago I was getting gas and a harley rider and his budy were pushing the guys bike so I went to help.
Red light blinking on dash I asked where his fob was he said he for got it at home. He was 90miles from home.
yup long ways back
HDs have a PIN capability also. Bet that guy remembers his code the next time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts