Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting for a starter as some of you know for my 2017 Chieftain. Its been a few weeks. I called today and was told they were on backorder until January. Anyone have any idea of why there is a shortage, beside the pandemic. :(
:cry:. I was putting it up for the winter so I can't complain too much. I just wanted it settled in under wraps before snow and salt.
Phil

·
Silver member
4,796 Posts
I've been waiting for a starter as some of you know for my 2017 Chieftain. Its been a few weeks. I called today and was told they were on backorder until January. Anyone have any idea of why there is a shortage, beside the pandemic. :(
:cry:. I was putting it up for the winter so I can't complain too much. I just wanted it settled in under wraps before snow and salt.
Phil
Can you get yours rebuilt?

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a warranty claim. Thanks, though. The service manager told me the new part number is to have the same in the Thunderstroke models and Scouts. If that's correct, no starters anywhere?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Phil
We have one in stock here at Baker American Cycles in Fayetteville, NC. Indian retail price is $399.99. Call us if you have any questions or would like to purchase it and have it shipped to you. 910-423-1901.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have one in stock here at Baker American Cycles in Fayetteville, NC. Indian retail price is $399.99. Call us if you have any questions or would like to purchase it and have it shipped to you. 910-423-1901.
I just saw the part about it being a warranty. Your dealer should be able to switch your order to VDO (vehicle down order) and Indian will assist your dealer in finding the starter even if it involves getting it from another dealer like us. Or your dealer can call us and purchase it.

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just saw the part about it being a warranty. Your dealer should be able to switch your order to VDO (vehicle down order) and Indian will assist your dealer in finding the starter even if it involves getting it from another dealer like us. Or your dealer can call us and purchase it.
I'll talk to the SM next week. I feel guilty making a fuss since season is over. Some other owner in a warm place may need one more. I thought PI would source from other dealers anyway.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I'll talk to the SM next week. I feel guilty making a fuss since season is over. Some other owner in a warm place may need one more. I thought PI would source from other dealers anyway.
It's only a fuss until you find the backorder date gets moved back five more months. Then, it is holy S$#^.

Reactions: high plains rider

·
Rider
974 Posts
You would think his dealer would know or go through the effort of knowing that they can do that. Unfortunately, most dealers, with few exceptions, suck ass and don't give a ****.

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You would think his dealer would know or go through the effort of knowing that they can do that. Unfortunately, most dealers, with few exceptions, suck ass and don't give a ****.
Honestly, I have a great relationship with my dealer. After the two weeks, they offered to make it a vehicle down. I declined. However, now that I know that dealers have some, I'll change my decision.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just because they say it's on backorder doesn't mean it's not at a dealer somewhere in the country. Call around to other dealers and check to see if they have one in stock. If you find one, tell your dealer and let them work out the transfer details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts