Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my original starter replaced in 2018, and now acting like it did before. Granted, I now have the 116 BBK and have also read the threads about difficulties starting. My question is, if my starter needs replaced, what are my options?

Is there a newer starter part number for 2019 and above? I checked Indianonly website, but seems like the site doesn’t show the details properly and seems questionable.

Any input/suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The part # on the 2020 starter is different than 2019 back, I think the 2020 starter may of been updated to start the new 116 because it comes standard with 116 , but I'm not sure and I haven't had any luck getting information.
The starter is actually really easy to replace and I bought it off of Amazon for less than half the price of one from the Indian dealer, it turned out the starter is made by Lucas and its the identical part the Indian dealer sells, JP cycles etc sells the starter and if you do a Google search with the part # a bunch come up.
I was told to put the bike in 2nd gear and rock it back slighly by my dealer and another member of a Facebook group for Indian motorcycles, what it does is rotate the engine backwards slighly and moves the pistons off the compression stroke, the 116 kit and additional compression is more than likely why your starter bugs down when trying to start your bike, it's a very common issue.
Long story short my bike starts every single time without bogging the starter down when hitting the compression stroke, the compression releases on the cams are not always effective and this I believe is the answer to your problem. If you dont do this I'd say 50-60% of the time starting the bike the starter is going to bog down eventually it will kill your starter motor
This is the solution so far, if there was say a higher torque starter which there is not atleast at this point it could cause failure in the starter drive gears or over running clutch, rolling it back in 2nd gear is the way to go

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
A recent post on starters by Indian V-Twin Performance:
If you are talking about making the engine spin backwards this is not a good idea. Rocking forward is okay.
Motorcycles starters use brushes. The starter brushes wear directionally and this creates a leading/trailing edge.
Rocking backwards engages the starter one-way/sprag clutch forcing the starter to spin/rotate backwards.
This can chip or break the brushes and possibly destroy the starter.
Been wrenching for over 40 yrs and was taught to remove the starter if you had to rotate an engine backwards for any reason.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A recent post on starters by Indian V-Twin Performance:
If you are talking about making the engine spin backwards this is not a good idea. Rocking forward is okay.
Motorcycles starters use brushes. The starter brushes wear directionally and this creates a leading/trailing edge.
Rocking backwards engages the starter one-way/sprag clutch forcing the starter to spin/rotate backwards.
This can chip or break the brushes and possibly destroy the starter.
Been wrenching for over 40 yrs and was taught to remove the starter if you had to rotate an engine backwards for any reason.
Power window motors run backwards, washer pump motors run backwards to spray the front or rear on a Chrysler minivan by reversing polarity, drills run in reverse, ceiling fans, lots of motors run backwards and mind you when the motor is moved backwards it's very little, I can name more motors that run backwards if you'd like

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just sharing some information posted by a friend who’s been a motorcycle mechanic for over 40 years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Our power windshield motors run up and down for our Roadmasters and Chieftains windshields, no broken brushes, nope not shooting the messenger and I'm still a automobile technician for just as long as your buddy, I ran this across a few friends of mine who are also technicians and they disagree as well, not everyone knows everything including me, but you can't deny the facts that I have shown you

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you have an electric motor and you reverse the polarity it will run in reverse, many pieces of equipment do this, automobiles, industrial, home

·
Registered
60 Posts
The garage door at work has a motor on it with a belt, it runs up and down all day, goes one way of rotation to open it and the other way to close, it was probably 30 years old and they came out and rebuilt the motor, new brushes, turned the armature, new bushings in the motor etc, painted it- perfect example

·
German rider
691 Posts
If I understand right, rock backwards in gear to reposition the piston.
Ok.
But how is the starter turn direction involved at this part?
The starter will chime in when you push the button AFTER you are done turning the engine backward - and does his job in his standard direction.
Right? Or do I miss something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I understand right, rock backwards in gear to reposition the piston.
Ok.
But how is the starter turn direction involved at this part?
The starter will chime in when you push the button AFTER you are done turning the engine backward - and does his job in his standard direction.
Right? Or do I miss something?
Your exacly right your just moving the engine slightly, most engines when shut off come to a stop when they start to approach the compression stroke, moving the engine back slightly allows the starter to overcome the compression stroke hence no starter bog down issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the starter is moved when the bike is in gear when moving the bike backwards in reverse because there is a over running clutch inside the engine, starter motor gears, going forward the clutch is disengaged otherwise the starter motor would spin all the time with the engine running and it would ruin the starter motor

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, if I understand this correctly...it is best to move backwards just a bit prior to starting?

·
Bronze member
2,165 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
The starter engages the engine with a sprag clutch. It allows the starter to DRIVE the engine when you power the starter. Once the engine starts, the sprag clutch "freewheels". It's a very simple type of clutch that simply engages only when the torque comes from a particular direction. In this case, when the starter applies the torque to the engine, the clutch "locks". If the engine is spun backwards, it WILL engage the sprag clutch and spin the starter backwards as well. That's NOT good for the starter's brushes.
Whether of not the transmission is in gear has NO EFFECT on the starter and sprag clutch's functions. Some gents have talked about a bendix being part of the design. It is not. ALL the gear-sets inside the engine & transmission are engaged ALL OF THE TIME, including those between the starter and the crankshaft. Each gear-set is COUPLED or DECOUPLED, as required, by use of a clutch or (in the case of the transmission) dog rings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The starter engages the engine with a sprag clutch. It allows the starter to DRIVE the engine when you power the starter. Once the engine starts, the sprag clutch "freewheels". It's a very simple type of clutch that simply engages only when the torque comes from a particular direction. In this case, when the starter applies the torque to the engine, the clutch "locks". If the engine is spun backwards, it WILL engage the sprag clutch and spin the starter backwards as well. That's NOT good for the starter's brushes.
Whether of not the transmission is in gear has NO EFFECT on the starter and sprag clutch's functions. Some gents have talked about a bendix being part of the design. It is not. ALL the gear-sets inside the engine & transmission are engaged ALL OF THE TIME, including those between the starter and the crankshaft. Each gear-set is COUPLED or DECOUPLED, as required, by use of a clutch or (in the case of the transmission) dog rings.
Sounds like you know a lot, thanks for the h e lp
Sounds like you know everything, thank you for clearing it all up

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
Sounds like you know a lot, thanks for the help. Sounds like you know everything, thank you for clearing it all up
Far from everything, Buick. But I've got a few decades of experience at this stuff and, IMHO, you can't be a good wrench of you don't know how it works.
;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts