Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two weekends ago I’m driving in town about 30 mph and bike starts popping and lost all power (not electric). 16 RM with 116. Took to dealer and yesterday they say that the starter went bad. Does this make sense to anyone? It will not start and acts like battery is going out. I bought a new battery “wicked start 500 cca “ and still does a slow turn over and nothing. I did a leakage test on the VR, it showed 0.00.
How can a bike starter go bad and kill the bike while being driven? I could see it if I was stopped and went to restart but going down the road?
Can someone explain this to me or is the dealer feeding me crap. I’m courteous if extended warranty will cover it or will they consider it a ware part. I forgot to ask this.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
a battery drain would get this. had a car yrs ago died at a red light got a jump started right up. took cables off an it died the second i took them off. As for the warranty. have not had this happen with indian. on hd happen during 1st yr so they replaced it. 09 HD.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My understanding generally on vehicles is that once the engine starts, the starter is no longer in circuit -- meaning it could go bad and it would have no effect on the running of the engine.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding generally on vehicles is that once the engine starts, the starter is no longer in circuit -- meaning it could go bad and it would have no effect on the running of the engine.
I agree, just doesn’t make sense but that’s why the post to hopefully get someone with more knowledge to respond.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A broken starter can not make sure to stop a running engine.
There is no mechanical linkage between starter and engine after the engine is rotating in idle.

·
Silver member
4,799 Posts
Sounds to me like you may have two problems. One, that big 116 has beat down the starter. And two, you may have some thing draining your system. Be it the VR or something else.

But the starter disengages once the bike is running so that is no the issue if it died while riding it...

·
Early joiner
236 Posts
two weekends ago I’m driving in town about 30 mph and bike starts popping and lost all power (not electric). 16 RM with 116. Took to dealer and yesterday they say that the starter went bad. Does this make sense to anyone? It will not start and acts like battery is going out. I bought a new battery “wicked start 500 cca “ and still does a slow turn over and nothing. I did a leakage test on the VR, it showed 0.00.
How can a bike starter go bad and kill the bike while being driven? I could see it if I was stopped and went to restart but going down the road?
Can someone explain this to me or is the dealer feeding me crap. I’m courteous if extended warranty will cover it or will they consider it a ware part. I forgot to ask this.
Your battery is not putting out (650cca or better) cranking amps.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes, seeing how they come with a 310 CCA battery stock you're right??? Never saw a MC battery with 650CCA ???
LH20L-BS lithium motorcycle battery SSB power sport Lithium has 700 cca
And weighs just 3kg. L-175mm W-87mm H-155 mm. 10 yr design life over 2000 cycles. Can sit unused for over 12 months without loss of charge. The Rolls Royce of mc Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries

Look at this on eBay
LH20L-BS LITHIUM MOTORCYCLE BATTERY SSB YTX20L-BS JET SKI BIKE HARLEY LH20LBS

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a wicked start 500 cca, brand new, still the same slow crank and no start. Just to set the record straight.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have a wicked start 500 cca, brand new, still the same slow crank and no start. Just to set the record straight.
Starter going bad sounds bs to me. A higher compression engine like 116 will require more battery grunt to turn engine over. But you already have a 500 cca battery much higher than spec 310cca. 520262 relates to ABS source voltage. Did you happen to check your battery terminals - ie free from corrosion and tight - also check battery negative to frame ground for corrosion and tightness?

·
Bronze member
2,229 Posts
How much cranking have you had to do to get the engine to start?

How many times do you have to crank it before it starts?

Could be that the starter has carboned up on the commutator, that causes it to draw excess current

Could be that the sprag clutch is dragging and that also causes the starter to draw excess current.

If you put a DC clamp meter on the starter lead at the front of the bike, you can measure the current draw.

Be sure to use one that can handle over 200 amps, 400 would be better.

Having a good battery and also having the slow turnover points to one of the above.

HTH.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a call from the dealer, nope, not the starter. They are getting ahold of the mothership now.

·
Bronze member
2,649 Posts
Sounds like who ever worked on the bike last,either forgot to connect something correctly,or didn't put something together right.Have you had any recent work done on this machine prior to this problem???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts