Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 spirit...this one is 3rd starter...anyone else having problems....where is a good place to find one...good one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Big Larry. Just seen your post. Check out aardvark cycle for any parts you need for your spirit. I have an 03 spirit myself. If a part you need is not listed, just give mark a call and he will help you. I get all my parts from him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Big Larry. Just seen your post. Check out aardvark cycle for any parts you need for your spirit. I have an 03 spirit myself. If a part you need is not listed, just give mark a call and he will help you. I get all my parts from him.
Now called indianmotoparts.net

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
What is it doing ? Could be relay, a big problem with the gilroy Indians............:cool::cool::cool:
DSC07373.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 2003 spirit...this one is 3rd starter...anyone else having problems....where is a good place to find one...good one
If you are on your 3rd starter, maybe the problem is somewhere else. Low voltage can cause any electric motor to fail. Low voltage also causes starter kickback which leads to failure of the starter drive clutch.There is a lot of good info on the SPYKE website:Spyke - A Pertronix Performance Brand They also make good starter motors.
So you should check your battery first to be sure it is 100% good. Then check your battery cables and connections. The cables might look okay on the outside but can be full of hidden corrosion and will not conduct properly. All Balls Racing sells a line of quality battery cables which are available from Drag Specialties. The #1 Source For Bearings, Seals, Cables & More | All Balls Racing

·
Registered
154 Posts
Upgrade your cables, add a second ground to starter and a relay, there are many aftermarket starters ,I went with a techtornado years ago. Still once a year I pull the solonoid cap off and clean up the contact surfaces of carbon or pitting

·
Registered
254 Posts
Upgrade your cables, add a second ground to starter and a relay, there are many aftermarket starters ,I went with a techtornado years ago. Still once a year I pull the solenoid cap off and clean up the contact surfaces of carbon or pitting
I used the Bosch Cube - good results there. (I am going to add one in the head light circuit so I can run hotter bulbs up front.)

ALSO - use Dielectric Grease on all the starter and batter terminal connections. It helps keep electrical conductivity high, and corrosion (and thus resistance) low.

- Michael

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used the Bosch Cube - good results there. (I am going to add one in the head light circuit so I can run hotter bulbs up front.)

ALSO - use Dielectric Grease on all the starter and batter terminal connections. It helps keep electrical conductivity high, and corrosion (and thus resistance) low.

- Michael
Be careful with the hotter (higher wattage) bulbs! I have seen them melt the bulb connector plug from the heat. Remember, the bulb is inside a sealed housing with no place for the heat to escape. I run the PIAA Extreme White bulbs which produce more light at the same wattage as a stock bulb. They have an H4 which they call "vibration resistant" specifically for motorcycles. Nowadays we have LED lights which are another story altogether.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Be careful with the hotter (higher wattage) bulbs! <snip> Nowadays we have LED lights which are another story altogether.
And that is where I'm going to go with this - Brighter, cooler and whiter. Now... there's that teeny issue of excess current draw to contend with - but other then that, LEDs are the way to go. I'll probably put them in the spots as well.

-Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts