Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Starter Lag

3211 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Ron H.
Hi there,
My 2014 Classic has come down with a case of starter lag. When I push my starter button there is an unusual pause before the starter kicks in. It doesn't happen every time, but just enough to be annoying. Would anyone have an idea what could cause this?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

2,984 Posts
Battery going bad, bad connections at the battery, frame ground, or starter connections, starter failing. Mine started acting up recently, I checked all of the above and then took it to the dealership for warranty starter replacement. Since then it cranks like new again.

· Founding Member / Distinguished
5,090 Posts
Battery going bad, bad connections at the battery, frame ground, or starter connections, starter failing. Mine started acting up recently, I checked all of the above and then took it to the dealership for warranty starter replacement. Since then it cranks like new again.
How many miles do you have on it now ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Founding member / Distinguished
2,123 Posts
Hi there,
My 2014 Classic has come down with a case of starter lag. When I push my starter button there is an unusual pause before the starter kicks in. It doesn't happen every time, but just enough to be annoying. Would anyone have an idea what could cause this?
There has been a change in the part number for TS 111 starters from 4014058 (2014) to 4017209 (current). I understand this has to do with an improved seal which prevents engine oil from being forced back into the starter motor and gumming it up. I have long noticed a certain amount of oil mist/scum on the starter motor and surrounding engine case, the closest thing the bike has to an oil leak. My 5-year warranty on Chieftain #873 will expire in January; the up-dated starter is something I plan to put a claim in for before then.
--- Randall

2,984 Posts
There has been a change in the part number for TS 111 starters from 4014058 (2014) to 4017209 (current). I understand this has to do with an improved seal which prevents engine oil from being forced back into the starter motor and gumming it up. I have long noticed a certain amount of oil mist/scum on the starter motor and surrounding engine case, the closest thing the bike has to an oil leak. My 5-year warranty on Chieftain #873 will expire in January; the up-dated starter is something I plan to put a claim in for before then.
--- Randall
I had been noticing a lot of seepage buildup around the starter for quite a while before it started acting up. Now that it's been replaced I don't see any at all. I didn't really think much of it before, since the oil cooler and filter are right there and I figured I had an O-ring going bad. Looks like the starter was the main issue now.

· Early joiner
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
--- Randall
Thanks for that Randall. I am noticing the same thing you describe with my bike. I guess I will pursue a replacement starter

· Premium Member
283 Posts
17' Chieftain 4800 mi. started the starter lag recently. I had the battery on a tender in between rides so I felt maybe battery was certainly not the issue but not out of the question. I took to dealer to have them look at battery. Within 10 mins.tech said it was the starter and he had been ordering and replacing starters in Scouts and more and more with the other models and actually was keeping a few starter on the shelf. No official recall, but an issue the dealer is seeing. Invoice showed the starter cost was $399.00, so certainly worth paying attention too if still under warranty.

· Bronze member
1,105 Posts
13000 miles and my starter finally took a shit. New battery and then the starter died, it does spin faster now but at times it does slow down even with a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.