Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm new to the Indian tribe, but not a newbee to riding. Question: I have a 2016 Scout, and twice now, I pressed the starter button and absolutely nothing. I shut everything down (turned key off, turned kill switch off). Then turned key on, kill switch to run, and nothing again. Did this like 3 times and it finally started. This has happened on 2 separate occasions. Other times it starts right up. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe a loose wire in the starter switch?

Also, what are your thoughts to keeping my bike on a trickle charge? My old bike was always on one when it wasn't being used. I talked to a mechanic from the MC shop out here that services Indian, and he said to only use the trickle charger in months that the bike wasn't being ridden. Looking forward to good advice!

These might seem like dumb questions but I've never had to take care of my own bike before, so I'm trying to learn... :rolleyes:

·
Bronze member
2,228 Posts
Not dumb at all. Ask away, that's what this site is for- Indian owners helping Indian owners. Could be just a connection issue of sort, usually with the battery. You may want to take the leads off the battery and take a look at cable ends for loose crimps on the tabs on all 4 ends. Including the ground. Then clean them up and reinstall with a dab of dielectric grease. A trickle charger is always a good idea. If the problem persists afterwards, move on to the starter/switch and so on. I highly recommend getting a Indian service manual for your bike, if you don't already have one. Tons of info with instructions/diagrams. Youtube is also a good place to learn. Welcome and good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts