Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 2016 Roadmaster left me stranded for the first time. I came out of the grocery store and hit the start button only to get a partial turn of the starter then a click click click. I figured my brand new battery was junk or I had a bad connection. Pulled the seat to verify connections then tried to jump start with no luck. After the bike cooled down a bit it fired right up with no issue. Drove it home and again click click click. Let it sit for an hour fired right up, as a professional tech my brain is telling me that the starter is failing when getting hot. Has anybody else had this issue?

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
I've heard a few guys putting the tranny in second, and bumping the engine to get the piston past TDC. The compression release should be doing its job, so it's probably a weak starter. There's another recent thread about the same problem. There's another source for a new starter in that thread that's much less money than Polaris/Indian's gold plated starter. Lol!

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
Pull the starter out,clean the commontator with a piece of fine sand paper and air [replace the brushes if they're worn,if not,just clean em up as mentioned above,lube the four tension springs,replacing em if they're weak,put it back together,and bench test it to make sure it works.Then,put it back in the bike to see if she starts better.Nine outta ten times,a starter can be rebuilt or atleast cleaned up and it'll be ok!! I've rebuilt dozens of em on cars and trucks over the years and been quite successfull doing this,including my bike starter.Oh ya! Don't forget to check all your battery connections to make sure they're tight and the available voltage [atleast 9 1/2 volts] is there when the starter button is hit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts