Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else encounter a failed starter and a burnt electrical smell? I'm trying to somewhat diagnose my '17 Vintage on the side of the road while I wait for Geico to call me back.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Anyone else encounter a failed starter and a burnt electrical smell? I'm trying to somewhat diagnose my '17 Vintage on the side of the road while I wait for Geico to call me back.
check the wires under the rear fender for fraying

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On taking a glance under the rear fender I found what looked like the ABS stuff but that all looked fine. I would try to push start it if I hadn't smelled something burnt. If I had time, I'd pull the seat and see what was going on in the wiring bird's nest but the hook will be here in about an hour. I just hope it'll be fixed by next week, I was planning a ride out to Texas to see an old friend of mine.

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. To sum it up I tried to start it, something burnt up and now the starter won't even click. I hope to have a direction tomorrow

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not much to update here but Tommy at JPM in Hopkinsville, KY is on it and I'd rather him than anyone else when i have a choice in the matter. We shall see.

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the record, I used my roadside assistance through Geico and that was second to none. They were a big help, they moved my bike to the nearest dealership regardless of how far.

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can pick up my bike tomorrow morning. JPM got it right in. It turned out the starter literally went up in smoke. All repairs were covered under warranty which would have cost around $400 without labor for a starter and replaced burnt wiring.

I'm happy it's now fixed but I am disappointed this happened on a bike I bought new just 9 months ago to replace one I had a long laundry list of issues with. I have 2 long hauls planned this year, I don't need these kinds of issues.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,727 Posts
I'm very curious about the cause so was wondering if you always hit the starter button and immediately took your finger off or kept it there until it started? Certainly glad it's covered under warranty but hope this isn't going to be a concern for others or if there is something we can do to avoid the issue.

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm very curious about the cause so was wondering if you always hit the starter button and immediately took your finger off or kept it there until it started? Certainly glad it's covered under warranty but hope this isn't going to be a concern for others or if there is something we can do to avoid the issue.
Once I figured out it starts itself with a quick press of the button, that's all I've ever done. My advice would be if it starts getting hard to start, as in requires more than one time to get it running, get the starter looked at. Mine puked literally in a puff of smoke. What I find frustrating is that I feel like I have to wait for a catastrophic failure or else I'll get the myriad of excuses and the usual, "I've never seen that before."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts