Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rider
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Scout 69 just started having trouble with the starter button not kicking in the starter. Pretty sure its just a switch contact corrosion thing because if I mash it, it eventually works. Anybody else have this and what worked to fix it, a little WD-40 maybe? Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Now that's interesting MattyBoy cos just recently I had to dismantle the left hand side button box to examine the little spring loaded switch that controls the menu on the speedo. That needed some very fine grit paper rubbed across the contact surfaces, plus some electrical contact cleaner for good measure. Back to normal.
It's possible the starter button is a very similar design? It's pretty easy to open the switch boxes and clean them up.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
WD40 might clean out any gunk that has built up, but you can also try some contact cleaner spray to see if that works before you dismantle anything.

·
Bronze member
1,455 Posts
Use something like Tri-Flow aerosol. It is a dielectric spray. Has fixed a lot of switch problems. Better IMO than WD.

·
Rider
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea. Fixed it yesterday. Opened it all up and found the starter switch is a fully-exposed, spring-loaded contactor. It did not look corroded, but I scraped it up with my exacto knife and spritzed it with a bit of WD. All is well now, but you would have thought they would have given it a rubber boot or a microswitch or something with a little bit more protection than NOTHING!!! Thanks for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts