Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok occasionally my 60 will start in third, instead of 1st. Yes I put the bike into 1st before stopping.
So from a dead stop the bike will cycle from 1st, 2nd, then settle into 3rd and have a rough lugging roll to get to speed in 3rd.
anyone having this issue?

Only other gearing issue is sometimes if I rev aggressively in first from a stop trying to get going quick out of the way, when I upshift it will go to N instead of second, then grind for a moment and I can shift to 2nd.
Seems like this is more my fault being too aggressive in first.

·
Founding member / platinum
9,888 Posts
As far as leaving it in first and when it starts it is in third gear...... can I put a very mild BS on this until I learn more?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as leaving it in first and when it starts it is in third gear...... can I put a very mild BS on this until I learn more?
I don't mind the call on BS, it's healthy to have an active BS-o-meter.
But I mean from a stop sign or red light. Not Parked and turned off.

I roll to a stop sign and have geared down to first. Then when I release the clutch to start moving the gear indicator flashes 1, then flashes 2, then flashes 3 and stays in third, maybe 2 seconds have elapsed before it catches in third.
It will be rolling forward since the clutch is engaged but wont really pick up power until the rpms build up to a useable amount for 3rd.
it happened last night at a gas station when I pulled into it to adjust a few buttons on my jacket.
I couldn't find neutral, which it is normally super easy to find whether going up or down. So I dropped it to first and cut the bike. still sitting on the bike, never even used the Side stand I spoke with a guy about it briefly then turned it on and was hoping to pull away with a healthy noise from the engine to impress the guy I spoke with, but it lugged into third, but did not stall.
also has happened at a stop sign before.

I know I have pulled off from a stop in second before by mistake, so I'm not eliminating human error from the equation.

Maybe it's just an indication? When I shift into 2nd occasionally the gear indicator momentarily shows 4th but immediately corrects itself back to 2nd. Did you check the clutch adjustment?.

The clutch lever is loose. It will rattle depending on the engines idle. It is loose enough that I can wiggle it up and down but I can't turn the screw on top without fear of stripping it. I should take it to the dealer when I have a chance to have them check it since I've not even had it 3 weeks. only 1200 miles so everything should still be on them since they should have checked this after the 500 a week ago

·
Bronze member
1,970 Posts
Ok occasionally my 60 will start in third, instead of 1st. Yes I put the bike into 1st before stopping.
So from a dead stop the bike will cycle from 1st, 2nd, then settle into 3rd and have a rough lugging roll to get to speed in 3rd.
anyone having this issue?

Only other gearing issue is sometimes if I rev aggressively in first from a stop trying to get going quick out of the way, when I upshift it will go to N instead of second, then grind for a moment and I can shift to 2nd.
Seems like this is more my fault being too aggressive in first.
It happens to my wife's bike on occasion. Really pisses her off.
Dealer says that it is normal. Of course I don't think that dealer will be getting any of our future bussiness.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry. This is the one I meant to post.

It's very easy to adjust.

Any chance you know what tools ill need for that. I'll be able to figure it out, but a heads up it always nice so I'm not just rummaging through my tool boxes after work.

It happens to my wife's bike on occasion. Really pisses her off.
Dealer says that it is normal. Of course I don't think that dealer will be getting any of our future business.
Yea if anything has an odd behavior there should be an explanation beyond " oh that's normal."
Well why is that the normal behavior?
That's what my Parts manager at the dealership I work for says to ask when getting repairs done by someone you don't know personally and trust.
There should always be a technical explanation for the way something works. If they can't provide one, then they probably are lying, or don't know why it works that way and then you probably won't want to have them servicing your equipment.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I dont think your gear lever is adjusted properly, has it been adjusted up at all? I found if you play with gear lever adjustment and go too high upwards, you loose the pivot angle it needs to push the lever on the motor end that selects the gear, you have to push really hard on gear lever and it generally stuffs the whole gear change.
I dont think you are actually getting it into first gear, it could not change gears on its own from first to third, unless you have the rare automatic gearbox model, limited release. :)

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Please don't take offence, but may I ask how sure you are that you've changed down to first? I've never had the problem you describe, but I almost always change to first while still rolling and into neutral as I come to a halt. If I were to rush that process I can imagine that I might not have got properly into first and then neutral, which might give rise to what you describe.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
By the way, the clutch lever is meant to be able to rattle up and down (I was worried the first time I heard that rattle until I realised what it was). My latest dealer reckons that to pad it out with extra washers would risk the lever becoming too stiff to release the clutch properly. I may not totally agree, but I think he has a valid point and isn't just being lazy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please don't take offence, but may I ask how sure you are that you've changed down to first? I've never had the problem you describe, but I almost always change to first while still rolling and into neutral as I come to a halt. If I were to rush that process I can imagine that I might not have got properly into first and then neutral, which might give rise to what you describe.
No offense taken. I try to view all responses on here as positive criticisms, unless someone is being blatantly rude.

I count down in my head from the gear I'm in to first as I change and then double tap it softly when I reach first gear to make sure I haven't found neutral by mistake. I always roll and stop to fist gear and stay in first since I live In a city full of traffic. So it's my habit to always go down to first when I plan on stopping, like at the gas station. once I was stopped at the station, I went up and down through the gear at the gas station trying to find neutral, then put it in first and cut the engine off. Could having gone up and down while not moving the engine rpms around 1100 caused any problems for the gears once I turned the engine back on and tried to roll away.

Is it possible the gearing issue was my mistake yes, but I don't think it was.
I can say that as I've been riding, when ever I think about what others around me are thinking about the bike, or if I want to launch from a red light or stop sign loud or fast, I tend to make mistakes on the bike. Vice versa when I just enjoy the bike it rolls smoothly into each gear and I can respond to the bike more naturally.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Could having gone up and down while not moving the engine rpms around 1100 caused any problems for the gears once I turned the engine back on and tried to roll away.
It's not so easy to tell what gear you're in if you move through the box while stationary so I wouldn't be surprised if you and the bike confused each other on that occasion - done that myself!
when ever I think about what others around me are thinking... , or if I want to launch from a red light or stop sign loud or fast, I tend to make mistakes
I think we all mess up gear changes etc. when we're thinking about how we look rather than about riding well - again, done that myself.

From what you say though, it seems that this doesn't address every occasion you've had an issue. So, I'd look at the advice above that others have offered and, if the answer doesn't become clear, have a chat with your dealer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Forgive me if I don't understand the issue completely, but I wonder if the shift lever is adjusted so that it is ever so slightly hitting the peg bracket. I found this out once after trying to adjust the lever a bit, and it wouldn't go into gear. Investigating showed it was hitting the bracket before fully engaging next gear.

·
Registered
953 Posts
if you are in third and slip the clutch to rev match first, your display would indicate 1. Similarly if you then slipped the clutch a bit less to rev match second, your display would indicate 2. When you stop slipping the clutch your display would indicate 3. All a bit difficult to achieve but possible.

I noticed this when slipping the clutch in second and I rev matched first, the display indicated 1.

When you're stationary the only indicator that works is N!

·
Bronze member
5,057 Posts
if you are in third and slip the clutch to rev match first, your display would indicate 1. Similarly if you then slipped the clutch a bit less to rev match second, your display would indicate 2. When you stop slipping the clutch your display would indicate 3. All a bit difficult to achieve but possible.

I noticed this when slipping the clutch in second and I rev matched first, the display indicated 1.

When you're stationary the only indicator that works is N!
This is what also goes through my thinking. The gear indicator is a cheap shot bit of mech. Instead of a switch attached to the selector to give true indication, even when stopped, the Scout uses the speed and revs coming from the ECU and matches them up and shows the gear from that. You can fool the thing into displaying the wrong gear in the manner that thegent mentions here.

·
Bronze member
5,057 Posts
Test rode a new Harley Ultra last week - the gear indicator seemed to work the same way.
It's an easy addition - just lift the info from the ECU and put an extra element in the LCD display. No need then to add the multi-position switch to the selector mechanism.

A lot of the aftermarket gear indicators are the same, the user plugs them into a standard bus socket and sticks the display unit onto the dash.

However, my 1981 Suzuki GS1000 had the switched version, complete with array of six rice-grain lights across the dash. It's not as if it's never been done. [shifty]

PS. That little purple smiley is called 'shifty'. I feel like I'm home. [cat]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.