Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Chieftain Limited with Stage 2 cams, vance and Hines slip ons. Went for a ride Saturday made it 10 miles and bike started stalling. Seemed to happen at 35-50 mph. No throttle, still had power, dash and radio worked. Only way it would restart is if I pushed the power button off and back on. Did it 5 times on my way home. Any ideas? Bike has 2935 miles. Changed FOB battery and checked battery connections all were good.

·
Rider
719 Posts
My guess is that your engine circuit breaker is tripping. Your bike should have 2 circuit breakers in addition to the normal fuses. The circuit breakers used on our bikes have the ability to reset themselves when de-energized / energized. It sounds like you have a defective one based on your failure description.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is that your engine circuit breaker is tripping. Your bike should have 2 circuit breakers in addition to the normal fuses. The circuit breakers used on our bikes have the ability to reset themselves when de-energized / energized. It sounds like you have a defective one based on your failure description.
I trailered it to the dealer today, so hopefully they can figure it out

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Call Indian support. My bike was in the shop for 3 weeks and I heard a lot of excuses form the dealer that they were waiting for help from Indian engineers etc. I called Indian support line, got a call back pretty quickly and had my bike back, fixed, in 3 days. The engineer I spoke to said they didn't show that there was a ticket open with them, but he heard of my problems and potentially knew what the fix was, and he called my dealer to discuss. Done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Call Indian support. My bike was in the shop for 3 weeks and I heard a lot of excuses form the dealer that they were waiting for help from Indian engineers etc. I called Indian support line, got a call back pretty quickly and had my bike back, fixed, in 3 days. The engineer I spoke to said they didn't show that there was a ticket open with them, but he heard of my problems and potentially knew what the fix was, and he called my dealer to discuss. Done.
I did they told me the dealer has to open a customer care and they have not done so. I’m going to the dealer today

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Yep, funny (not really) how some dealers tell you they are waiting for Indian to respond when in fact they never contacted them. Many dealers will push warranty work to the back burner while pushing all the non warranty work up front for money.

·
Rider
719 Posts
To give your dealer the benefit of the doubt, they may have been trying to replicate the failure, but have yet to do so. I think it is quite typical on a random problem for a tech to look into a problem and spend some time doing so, but if the failure does not present itself, they work on another project until they can try again on your bike. Polaris won't just let the techs throw parts at the problem until they can find and document the problem. Stay after the service manager and he will stay after the techs. I still believe that your problem may be with the circuit breaker and apparently since there is a service bulletin on this, it is affecting other bikes as well. Have you mentioned this to your SM. If it were me, I would probably just buy a $10 breaker, pull the bike out of the shop and replace it and see if that fixes it. 2 weeks in the shop during peak riding is too long for me to be patient.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update. Just picked the bike up and rode about an hour. Everything seems fine. Circuit breaker was replaced and tightened all battery connections. ( they just replaced the battery last year). So far so good. Hopefully get some miles on tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2019 Chieftain limited has 400 miles on it and it did the same thing .
The motor died coming out of an aggressive turn as I up shifted to 4th gear. I can best describe it as the fuel injectors failed . This is the 2nd time I have had this happen and the bike is new. The motor died and I pulled over and kept the throttle on and the engine slowly And hesitantly returned to life with the check engine light on. The bike is at the dealer and they can’t find anything wrong and they told me all
Recall work was done over the winter. Including the circuit breaker. I have an Indian stage 2 with Rinehart headers and slip ons and a Dynajet PV03 flash . I also had the dealer install the Trask mini apes with no heated grips. I am having difficulty finding a Dyno shop that does PV03 tuning. I spoke agin to The Dynajet tech and he said it has his map For my 2nd stage that the dealer used when they set up the stage 2 upgrade. He listened to me and believes that what happened Is that 1 cylinder shutdown and or a loose spark plug- wire is the problem. The dealer has it
Now 4 days and could not find anything wrong even though the Bike had the engine light on after the stall. The Dynajet rep suggested I find a place that has a Dyno tune machine but so far the shops I have contacted either do only Harleys or only Power Commanders. I have the PV03 . So please If anyone knows of a shop in the NY zip code Area of 12533 please let me know. This technology is new to me. I see Lloydz’s is in Pine Bush , NY maybe I can call then tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Dan

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
My 2019 Chieftain limited has 400 miles on it and it did the same thing .
The motor died coming out of an aggressive turn as I up shifted to 4th gear. I can best describe it as the fuel injectors failed . This is the 2nd time I have had this happen and the bike is new. The motor died and I pulled over and kept the throttle on and the engine slowly And hesitantly returned to life with the check engine light on. The bike is at the dealer and they can’t find anything wrong and they told me all
Recall work was done over the winter. Including the circuit breaker. I have an Indian stage 2 with Rinehart headers and slip ons and a Dynajet PV03 flash . I also had the dealer install the Trask mini apes with no heated grips. I am having difficulty finding a Dyno shop that does PV03 tuning. I spoke agin to The Dynajet tech and he said it has his map For my 2nd stage that the dealer used when they set up the stage 2 upgrade. He listened to me and believes that what happened Is that 1 cylinder shutdown and or a loose spark plug- wire is the problem. The dealer has it
Now 4 days and could not find anything wrong even though the Bike had the engine light on after the stall. The Dynajet rep suggested I find a place that has a Dyno tune machine but so far the shops I have contacted either do only Harleys or only Power Commanders. I have the PV03 . So please If anyone knows of a shop in the NY zip code Area of 12533 please let me know. This technology is new to me. I see Lloydz’s is in Pine Bush , NY maybe I can call then tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Dan
Money is on the Dynojet tune. There is another thread on this. Not all the Dynojet tunes set the DBW twist grip to throttle ceilings correctly and what happens is exactly what you described

1 - 14 of 14 Posts