Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FTR has had this from day one of tuning. It stalls about 50% of the time when approaching a stop. I can hear/see the RPM’S drop from about 1200 or so down to 700-800. About 50% of the time it results in a stall. The bike is then hard to start. I have to keep the throttle pinned for about 4 seconds in order to keep it running. If not, it’ll die again right away.

I’ve been working with Craig B from FM. Thought he had a tune, and then today, it’s stalled 5 times again. Clearly there’s an issue. FM has been great, but really can’t even ride the bike like this.

I should mention and clarify.....THIS IS NOT THE TYPICAL COLD START STALL these bikes are known for. Engine temp is always 175 or above, with the bike running for at least 10-15 min.

Is this a known tuning issue, or is there something wrong with the bike, not tuning related?

Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About two weeks ago...the last time I rode on the stock tune....it was fine.

I flashed the .stk back in tonight and will try it tomorrow.

·
Bronze member
2,552 Posts
Mine did that with one of Ryan’s tunes when I was running my racefit and an experimental tune.

It would almost feel like it was loading up with fuel and stall when stopped.

A tweak in the tune fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. I wish Craig could tweak it as well. But yeah, that’s exactly what it feels like. Worse too, when Craig would say that he added fuel everywhere.....must be what’s happening.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Oh @68RR you may need some patience as Craig recenty had a medical procedure and may not reply in a timely fashion as he normally does.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. Didn’t know that....although he’s been great so far. No complaints with his responses. Very prompt.
Just wish the bike could get dialed in.

·
Registered
997 Posts
a couple of people have also had issues when applying the tune file in that the update somehow got corrupted. Happened to one of the aussie owners with a Ryan tune - he was getting a 1 second delay in the throttle response.
A re-flash of the tune fixed it - maybe after you've tried riding with the stock tune give that a go too?

·
Registered
496 Posts
My FTR has had this from day one of tuning. It stalls about 50% of the time when approaching a stop. I can hear/see the RPM’S drop from about 1200 or so down to 700-800. About 50% of the time it results in a stall. The bike is then hard to start. I have to keep the throttle pinned for about 4 seconds in order to keep it running. If not, it’ll die again right away.

I’ve been working with Craig B from FM. Thought he had a tune, and then today, it’s stalled 5 times again. Clearly there’s an issue. FM has been great, but really can’t even ride the bike like this.

I should mention and clarify.....THIS IS NOT THE TYPICAL COLD START STALL these bikes are known for. Engine temp is always 175 or above, with the bike running for at least 10-15 min.

Is this a known tuning issue, or is there something wrong with the bike, not tuning related?

Thanks.
My first set of tunes from Craig (he usually gives you two to try first) one of them had this stalling coming to a stop issue. Be patient, send him a log file of your ride with your notes and he’ll get it sorted. Takes a bit of fiddling. The third tune eliminated the stalling and we continued refining from there. I’m on tune 8 overall and very happy with it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Djeez. Going back and forth 8 times before it runs decently...😕
It ran decently after the 4th one. The last 4 were little niggles that I wanted adjusted. Call it me being picky.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. Must be me. Im on tune #17 from Craig. Yep......17 different revisions/tunes since I started this process. I know this as I've kept a copy on my computer so I can offload the tunes from the PV3. Ive run out of memory before, so I started doing that.

Almost from the beginning Ive dealt with this stalling issue. That's why I reached out to Ryan and Richie per advice from here. Well, that obviously went sideways, so here I am. To be fair, Craig has been nothing but great. But he cannot get this bike to stop stalling and nose diving the RPM's when coming to a stop. I gave the statement to him via email yesterday "maybe there's something else wrong with the bike." His response was "quite possibly." Thats it...Just those two words. I understand he cant fix a problem not tune related, but Im quickly losing confidence in it.

Tonight I plan on putting a few more miles on it with the stock tune to verify it doesn't have this issue with that. If that passes, I'll reflash what Craig and I had thought was the winner, record more logs, and go from there.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So here’s another question/comment on this.

Early this morning I was thinking about everything, and sent another email to Craig with some updated info. As I had mentioned in another thread, my Toce pipe was leaking as well. In between tunes, I had sealed the muffler end with the Permatex grey sealant. I’m wondering if doing this caused another variance in the mapping which now explains why a prior perfect tune is now crap. Any thoughts from you guys?

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Depends on how bad that leak was. If it was only minor I don’t think it matters much.

Ever tried repurchasing a tune Ryan/Lloydz? ( the first time didn’t work work out right?)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was bad enough that oil was dripping from the leak and running down the Toce pipe. Not a ton....but enough to see for sure.
On a whim, I’ll send Ryan an email today. Guess it can’t hurt.

·
526 Posts
There are a wide range of factors that can contribute or cause this, we've ran into several FTR's that encounter engine stalls under various conditions (not just during warmup); several of them months down the road with no changes in components or tuning, most interesting is it doesn't seem to matter if its the stock tune or PV3 map. Some of it is hardware related. We are currently engaged in additional tune development for our FTR tunes (early & updated Tune Compatability & checksums) as Dynojet has got us access to additional tune definitions. We're also excited to report Fuel Moto has recently taken on an in-house calibration engineer with extensive experience with the Bosch ECU and OEM applications.

·
Registered
496 Posts
There are a wide range of factors that can contribute or cause this, we've ran into several FTR's that encounter engine stalls under various conditions (not just during warmup); several of them months down the road with no changes in components or tuning, most interesting is it doesn't seem to matter if its the stock tune or PV3 map. Some of it is hardware related. We are currently engaged in additional tune development for our FTR tunes (early & updated Tune Compatability & checksums) as Dynojet has got us access to additional tune definitions. We're also excited to report Fuel Moto has recently taken on an in-house calibration engineer with extensive experience with the Bosch ECU and OEM applications.
With this in mind should people with bikes that are running well do logs and send them in for updated parameters tweaking that may get the bike running even better?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts