Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I searched and didnt see anything for the big bikes just scouts, but I have a 2016 RM. Tonight coming home (57 degrees out no wind) I was going 40 mph and all of a sudden the bike jerked and I lost the fog lights as the indicator went red. It would come back on and it did it again 10 seconds later. Radio wasnt turned up past "10" and no seat warmers were on nor grips went on. No indicator of low voltage came on. I got home checked oil and it was within the "hot range" on the dipstick.

Help me out here before I take it to the dealer. Is my battery dying?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'd check the battery connections to make sure they are tight.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
From what I have read here, it could be a weak fob battery as well. I understand you have a new bike but batteries can and do go bad even when new.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I'll check the battery connections tonight, but say, on the info screen of the bike, is there a warning for low fob battery??? I remember yesterday that a message about a low batt showed up for a split second.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Possibly where you have the fob? I understand that if it is kept in a place that could block the signal that can cause problems also.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Put my fob in my cup holder so my Dad could ride the bike around a bit. It didn't like it and the horn beeped for the first few hundred yards but it never shut off. Check your battery connections as has been said.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Check battery connections as well as fob battery. These fobs are temperamental. I ride with mine in saddlebag and all is good. If I place it in my pocket the horn goes off.

·
Founding member
2,200 Posts
From what I have read here, it could be a weak fob battery as well. I understand you have a new bike but batteries can and do go bad even when new.
The fob and bike will communicate between each other a couple times shortly after start - after that, there is no additional communication. If it was the fact that the bike and fob weren't communicating, you would get a few "warning honks" before it shutdown. It isn't a fob battery problem.

Kinetic - As for the fob being in the cup holder, if the cup holder is metallic it will shield the RF signal and the bike will not get a return "ping" from the fob. Best to keep the fob away from metallic objects. You are also correct regarding the horn "warning honks".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No warning honks were given in my case, the fob was in my right front pocket.

I'll check the 12 volt batt tonight.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That is exactly what I attributed it to. I was merely bringing that up to point out his issue wasn't fob related. I didn't make that very clear. Sorry

Reactions: jayred1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my Lunch hour here, tore it down to the battery and wont you know it, the positive terminal was loose. Not like oh my god loose but I could easily move it with a finger. Tightened that down and we will see.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That would do it!
I went over my bike with a fine tooth comb and checked every fastener and connection and put dielectric grease in all harness plugs when I brought it home. I didn't find much loose but you never know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts