Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Chieftain classic with less than 500 miles and have two issues: 1) The bike will only start in neutral. This would not be an issue except that when the bike is cold and I have come to a full stop at a traffic light the bike will 2) stall. Every other bike I have owned I would just pull the clutch lever and start it up regardless of whatever gear the bike is in (most likely first gear if I am stopped waiting for a green light) but with the Chieftain I have to first get the bike back into neutral before I can start it up. The stalling only happens until the engine warms up and only when at a full stop. In looking at the manual the bike is not supposed to start with the kickstand down, I get that, but it should start with the kickstand up, the clutch level pulled in (regardless of what gear it is in)....is anyone else having this starting issue? Is anyone else experiencing the stalling issue? Are they related in some way?

·
Bronze member
2,152 Posts
Not starting in gear:

In previous models (not sure about 2019) there is a microswitch located close to the clutch lever pivot pin. Reachable from below, behind a small plastic cover.
This micro switch has a rather flimsy tongue which gets out of whack or breaks.
Since your bike is brand new: let the dealer take care of it. Especially of the tongue is broken off the switch!

Regarding stalling: I would guess your ECU is still learning long term fuel trims. This ... or you might need your dealer to check for intake or exhaust leaks. Your fuelling might be off because of some bad quality control (bolts n nuts not tightened to specs).

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Take it back to the dealer, as for the stalling do you have stage 1 or stage 2? Stage 2 bikes have been known to have this issue.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
No recall on clutch switches
There is a recall for clutch levers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
YeA not an official te recall but dealership knew all about it.tey were breaking all the time. He says come on over fixed and left no charge and I didn't get the bike there

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Does this stalling only occur at lower ambient temperatures or just always whenever the engine is cold regardless of outside temps?

If this is happening in the 60s and 70s and above, it is not normal PERIOD. If this is happening in lower temps, let the bike warm up some before you jump on it.

In regards to you depressing the clutch lever and trying to start when it stalls. Do you have leather grip and/or lever wraps? If so, that leather will sometimes prevent you from fully depreciating the lever. Bike still thinks the lever is out. This can be remedied with a clutch adjustment.

If all these things, your doing correctly, you have to have a fault somewhere in the system. I refer you to some of the members that responded above.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
So your not sure your bike is a 2015 or not? Lol
YeA it's a 15....but I don't know if tecalls were sent out but dealer did know about a problem and fixed it free and I didn't get the bike there. So I was happy and have spent a lot of money there since..lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
New 19 Chieftan DH, won't start unless in N with kickstand up.
Went in group ride with about a dozen Indian riders and some say same thing, won't start unless in N.

Will ask dealer when i get the 500 mile check up. Manual says N or pull clutch in so switch might be bad

·
Silver member
4,573 Posts
Went in group ride with about a dozen Indian riders and some say same thing, won't start unless in N.

Will ask dealer when i get the 500 mile check up.
It should only start in gear with the clutch pulled in AND the kickstand up. If either is not in that condition, the starter will not engage. If bike will only start in N, then the kickstand switch needs to be checked. In neutral, the bike does not care about the clutch switch.

·
Rider
869 Posts

Will ask dealer when i get the 500 mile check up.
Thats wrong what they are telling you.
It Will start rolling in gear with clutch in.
I am also thinking why would they (Indian) feasibly have that like that?
Starting to sound like bad switches.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts