Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 19 model Chieftain back in May and had the stage 3 kit installed (didn’t even ride it before the install). I have had some issues with the bike from day one. I think the biggest problem is if I rev it up and let off the throttle it will cut off! Sometimes it will cut off when I let off the throttle to make a turn. The Shop Boss at Indian told me that I was confusing the computer when I rev it up and that is why it cuts off and that I need to put more miles on the bIke. I have discovered this week it does not like the cold. I live in South Georgia and it has gotten really cold this week but I keep the bike in the garage. Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
I purchased my 19 model Chieftain back in May and had the stage 3 kit installed (didn’t even ride it before the install). I have had some issues with the bike from day one. I think the biggest problem is if I rev it up and let off the throttle it will cut off! Sometimes it will cut off when I let off the throttle to make a turn. The Shop Boss at Indian told me that I was confusing the computer when I rev it up and that is why it cuts off and that I need to put more miles on the bIke. I have discovered this week it does not like the cold. I live in South Georgia and it has gotten really cold this week but I keep the bike in the garage. Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to fix this?

Very common on the Stage 3 kit using the factory tune for it to stall, they have been doing that since day one, just the nature of having a tune that meets EPA standards. Now many guys have got the Dynojet PV3 and got custom tunes and not only fixed the stalling issues but make the bike run way much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very common on the Stage 3 kit using the factory tune for it to stall, they have been doing that since day one, just the nature of having a tune that meets EPA standards. Now many guys have got the Dynojet PV3 and got custom tunes and not only fixed the stalling issues but make the bike run way much better.
Thanks for your quick reply. Now could you tell me what a Dynojet PV3 is, because I have no idea. Again I want to thank you for your help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 116 bike runs perfect with just the factory flash.
The bikes have a learning computer on them.
My dealer had the most issues with Stage 2.
What worked was for one of the techs to ride stop and go city riding for about an hour to get some usable data in the computer. Those techs in OKC will do anything for you, unlike most, they are paid salary, not flat rate.
Freeway riding does not seem to build the needed files.
Same with cold starts.
Once it starts you need to let it idle each time for a minute or two. You can listen to the exhaust and hear the computer dialing the fuel in.
Once it runs smoothly then ride, I don't let them idle any longer than needed, you can score a cylinder.
As the seasons change, the computer will change the start data it uses and right now, your bike does not have any.
If you change the battery, you may have to build data again.
I'm not sure what the computer thinks about the reving, it may effect your start tune until it gathers more data.
Since it stops, it should be adjusting to keep it running each time you restart it if you let it have a minute or two to dial in the info before you use the throttle.
It was 30 degrees a couple nights ago and my 116 started on the second try.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply. Now could you tell me what a Dynojet PV3 is, because I have no idea. Again I want to thank you for your help.
The PV3 is a device that allows you to flash new tunes to the ECU and is made by Dynojet. It replaces and older unit called the PVCX which was basically the same thing. These units also can datalog so you can send data to remote tuners if needed.

Fuel Motto is a performance company that sells these units that will give you lifetime Maps and support if you purchase it from them. They have many tunes for various modifications intake exhaust cams and BBK stage 3. If you do a search here on the PVCX unit, you will find tons of info, the PV3 just recently replaced the PVCX and does the exact same thping.

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
I don't know how cold you are talking... the coldest I've rode up here is mid 30's (I'm old and a pussy now).. I haven't had a problem with it starting or idling... one thing is that when mine first fires up and this is regardless of temp... it automatically goes to fast idle at 1050rpm... I always let the bike warm up.. when the idle drops to 850 I take off... never had a problem yet...

·
Registered
24 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts