Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone put Indian Stage 2 cams on their bike but later put the stock cams back in because they liked the stock cams better?

Right now my bike is completely stock but the dealer is giving me a good offer concerning a stage one and stage two upgrades. They are going to do the stage one upgrade and put the stage two cams in for free. I am a long-distance rider so I really do not want loud pipes or rougher ride so I’m wondering if I should go for this or keep it the way it is. Right now the stock pipes are loud enough for me. I like going on week long rides so a loud exhaust system is not something that I am looking for but it seems like a good deal. I’m just hoping I won’t like the bike less after it’s all done. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Has anyone put Indian Stage 2 cams on their bike but later put the stock cams back in because they liked the stock cams better?

Right now my bike is completely stock but the dealer is giving me a good offer concerning a stage one and stage two upgrades. They are going to do the stage one upgrade and put the stage two cams in for free. I am a long-distance rider so I really do not want loud pipes or rougher ride so I’m wondering if I should go for this or keep it the way it is. Right now the stock pipes are loud enough for me. I like going on week long rides so a loud exhaust system is not something that I am looking for but it seems like a good deal. I’m just hoping I won’t like the bike less after it’s all done. Any thoughts?
You would probably like the PV3 fuel controller. Even on a stock bike, it makes a nice difference.

After changing out the exhausts, to Freedoms, I found I did not like the decibels. After changing out the Freedoms to V&H slip-ons, things got better but they are still a bit loud for long distances. I do like the performance.

I have considered installing cams and an intake.

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
80 Posts
I installed stage 2 cams with stage 1 Indian exhaust and Indian high flow air cleaner. The reason I went with the Indian exhaust is it was throaty but not too loud. At times I wish the Indian exhaust was a bit louder, but it’s nice on long trips and doesn’t interfere with the radio. I liked the look of the Indian high flow air cleaner.
As far as the cams: much improved sound, improved performance, but not as much as I had hoped. I installed a pv3 tuner with a Craig B tune, which I think is a must have. If you’re dealer is offering that cost I would jump on it.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

I do not find the stage one pipes to be noticeably louder. The stage two cams create a better sounding idle. That’s a helluva deal.

·
Rider
1,607 Posts
Well if they are putting in Stage 2 cams for free sure. But I would also buy a tuner PVCX and ask Craig B very politely for his stage 2 tune. The Indian stage 2 tune has a bit to Be desired. It will wake the bike up, not like the stage 3 cams or 585s but for the riding I do I’m happy with my stage 2 cams.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Thanks for responding but I’d like to know why you prefer the stock cams?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The stock cams are pretty mild, giving excellent driveability and fuel mileage. The upgraded cam gives up driveability and fuel mileage, but give torque and performance in spades.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
What do you mean by give up drive ability?
The engine has that idle that has a Harley feel. I was having a problem with the engine dying as I started from a stop. That started about a year after I had the cam installed. I took it in, and had to pay to have the computer reflashed for the cam again. If you want a smooth running engine, keep the stock cam. Other owners might have a different spin on it, but knowing how the engine ran before, and how it runs now, I might have stuck with the stock cam. I am pretty happy with the power though. I might get a PV3 tuner with a @CraigB1960 adjusted tune. He has a few secrets up his sleeve with these 111 engines.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The engine has that idle that has a Harley feel. I was having a problem with the engine dying as I started from a stop. That started about a year after I had the cam installed. I took it in, and had to pay to have the computer reflashed for the cam again. If you want a smooth running engine, keep the stock cam. Other owners might have a different spin on it, but knowing how the engine ran before, and how it runs now, I might have stuck with the stock cam. I am pretty happy with the power though. I might get a PV3 tuner with a @CraigB1960 adjusted tune. He has a few secrets up his sleeve with these 111 engines.
I had the same problem. It’s because the Indian tune runs lean at an idle. I bought a pv3 tuner and got a CraigB tune...problem solved!

·
Bronze member
2,099 Posts
The bike will definitely sound better at idle with the Stage 2 cams. I can’t say I ever noticed any off idle issues using Craig’s tune. But the biggest advantage is the bike will continue to pull as you rev past 3,000 rpm.
if you are modifying your bike, you are doing it for more power. There may be a few trade-offs, but not many IMHO.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was one of my concerns going Stage 2. I had read from others that the bike would die at idle.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stock cams are pretty mild, giving excellent driveability and fuel mileage. The upgraded cam gives up driveability and fuel mileage, but give torque and performance in spades.
Interesting. The main reason I wanted to go Stage 2 is because I read from some that it increased gas mileage. I don’t care much about increased power. I’m into long distance smooth riding and getting the best MPG that I can.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
That was one of my concerns going Stage 2. I had read from others that the bike would die at idle.

Never had it die exactly. It was a computer reflash issue. It was flashed when I had the cam installed, but had to pay to have it reflashed a year later. It has performed flawlessly since the reflash.

·
Bronze member
2,099 Posts
Interesting. The main reason I wanted to go Stage 2 is because I read from some that it increased gas mileage. I don’t care much about increased power. I’m into long distance smooth riding and getting the best MPG that I can.

If that’s the case, I would suggest Stage 1 with a good tune. You’ll get exactly what you are looking for.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
If that’s the case, I would suggest Stage 1 with a good tune. You’ll get exactly what you are looking for.
Maybe a Stage 1 A/C, stock exhaust, a PV3 tuner, with a @CraigB1960 tune focusing on the smooth ride and mpg. He can fine tune the tuner brains to what you are desiring. It is more an art than a science, so it might take a few different tunes to get it right, so have a little patience.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never had it die exactly. It was a computer reflash issue. It was flashed when I had the cam installed, but had to pay to have it reflashed a year later. It has performed flawlessly since the reflash.
How is the drivability with the cams? Do you feel like you gave up something for the added performance? If so what?
Also has your gas mileage changed since the cams were installed?
I appreciate any real world experience you can give. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts