Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any negative results after installing stage 2 cams? I/E. decel popping,lower fuel mileage, etc?

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Most people have issues with the Indian Stage 2 tune. It's very lean so you may experience decel pops and randomly the engine quits while at idle at a red light for instance. I personally never had it happen but I only had the Indian tune from the shop to 10 miles to my house. I have a PV3 and sent Craig the new tune and had a custom tune made ASAP.

·
Founding member
475 Posts
As Magoo said, the stage 2 cams need a custom tune to perform at their best. Craig B. did a remote custom tune on my Vintage with stage 2 cams, and it runs very well with a ton of power (compared to a stock 111), and gets 48 mpg.

Reactions: Eaglehead

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,602 Posts
Anybody have any negative results after installing stage 2 cams? I/E. decel popping,lower fuel mileage, etc?
The original stage 2 flash was horrible. Very skiddish and caused more ignition noise from the engine. I have heard the newer version of that tune is much better but the best tune to get your engine running it's best is from a custom tune with a PV3. You do get some decel popping but not too bad. My mileage did not change much with the stage 2 flash and when up a bit once I got a custom tune installed. You will still need to have the stage 2 flash installed with the cams and then have that map modified by Fuel Moto or CraigB. Craig did mine and my bike is running better than ever before. Also added a high idle feature to let the engine warm up quicker. There are cams that make more power but I'm happy with the stage 2 cams and the lopey idle you get from them. Dean

·
3,602 Posts
At one point I did have the engine cutting out on decel. Changed out the intake manifold boots and cleared that issue up. Dean

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have the PV3 tuner with gutted cat, Vance and Hines mufflers and Stage 1 ram air intake and thinking stage 2 cams would complete the process.

·
3,602 Posts
I'm running the Lloyds air cleaner, V and H turndowns, Stage 2 cams and the Jackpot header. I love the way mine runs and idles. Plenty of top end for two up passing on the highway and the deep throaty sound from the pipes. D

·
Bronze member
3,395 Posts
I just put stage II in... mileage went from 35 to 43.. now I'm starting to think people were telling me the truth when they were getting that kind of mileage... in fact if I do a whole tank at 57mph or less I push the hell out of 52mpg... but once I get back to my normal 68 it's around 43... I do get a decal pop once in awhile nothing to disturbing to me... I'm doing a decat this winter that's when I'll go with a PV3.. but to me the factory tune is good... if you read about the "ghost" rev limiter and stuff with the factory tune.. then the stage II takes all that out... you can sure tell

·
Bronze member
1,553 Posts
I've had them in my '15RM for 4 years. They are fine. A little bump in power, but nothing to write home about. I have the factory download, gutted cats and Bassani slip-ons and never have a decel pop or any other running issues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You do get a big noticeable boost in power. Definitely need a PV3 & tune though. At 1st mine had decele pop & rough cold starts bad mpg. Throttle lag. After the Craig B tune all is fixed & Absolutely rips w/improved mpg, 90% better throttle response. Very minimal decel pop. Starts up fine with a nice lope..Never did have a problem blipping the throttle.

Reactions: Eaglehead

·
Rider
1,576 Posts
I also have the stage 2 and went straight to a canned Craig B tune. Yes more power but not smoke the tire off power and runs smooth. A definite difference between the stock and stage 2. Between changing exhaust, going to a full synthetic oil 15W60 and his tune no abnormal engine noise at all. It took a couple of hundred miles for the cams to settle in and I’m up to about 39/40 mpg. I had Vance and Hines on mine and no matter what I did I just wasn’t happy so I changed slipons. I had some decel pop and after the decatted headpipe, I had a cold start pinging that was annoying the hell outta me. That’s gone with the RCX slip ons. The problem is now I want more lol. So new valve springs and 585 cams or a 116 BBK down the road.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also have the stage 2 and went straight to a canned Craig B tune. Yes more power but not smoke the tire off power and runs smooth. A definite difference between the stock and stage 2. Between changing exhaust, going to a full synthetic oil 15W60 and his tune no abnormal engine noise at all. It took a couple of hundred miles for the cams to settle in and I’m up to about 39/40 mpg. I had Vance and Hines on mine and no matter what I did I just wasn’t happy so I changed slipons. I had some decel pop and after the decatted headpipe, I had a cold start pinging that was annoying the hell outta me. That’s gone with the RCX slip ons. The problem is now I want more lol. So new valve springs and 585 cams or a 116 BBK down the road.
What year is your bike?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just curious, I had a 2015 Chieftain ,traded in for a 2018 Chieftain Limited. The 15' clacked but the 18' does not.

·
Rider
1,031 Posts
My Stage 2 Indian cams are very well behaved, I have Stage 2 tune from CraigB, all is well!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,031 Posts
Did you have to install the stage 2 tune from Indian first?
Yes, Indian of Sturgis installed ALL the Stage 2 components Rinehart Slimline Dual Exhaust system, Rinehart 4" Slip-on for Indian Touring, VooDoo intake, Indian Stage 2 cams, then flashed the Stage 2 Indian tune. Then I rode 200 miles Home to Montana, 3 days later flashed the CraigB Stage 2 tune, like night and day difference!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts