Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Early joiner
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Vintage with the stage 1 exhaust and air clearer and now want to install the Indian cams. My question is concerning cost, at Sturgis the dealer told me they could install the cams in 2 hours while I waited for a cost of under a 1000 bucks. Had I not lived 1300 miles away I would have done it but I was concerned that should something go wrong on the way home I would be up a creek. Do you guys think 2 hours labor is reasonable or is that not enough time, and lastly what is everyone else paying?
Thank you

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I have a 2014 Vintage with the stage 1 exhaust and air clearer and now want to install the Indian cams. My question is concerning cost, at Sturgis the dealer told me they could install the cams in 2 hours while I waited for a cost of under a 1000 bucks. Had I not lived 1300 miles away I would have done it but I was concerned that should something go wrong on the way home I would be up a creek. Do you guys think 2 hours labor is reasonable or is that not enough time, and lastly what is everyone else paying?
Thank you
2 hours is about right I have had both my Road Master fitted with stage 2 cams but I have stuck with the Indian branded ones. Why because I have heard thing that may be true or not so true about the lift and springs on after market cams. I have not had any issues with the OME Cams and once I had them I had no intention doing any other mods as I had the stage 1 slip ons and the stage 1 hi flow filter ,I then bought a PVCX and got the Custom Dyno Tune to smooth out the rough running from the generic tune that was close but far from perfect ,but I expected that from a generic tune regardless. If you went with the OME cams I bought your going to have any issues and if tunes correctly the bike will run smoother , you will have better torque delivery across the rev range and gain some small H.P. but the torque is what most of us would want more than the HP as it is were you get the greatest benefit ,unless your dragging you bike. In that case you would need a much bigger cubic inch motor .

·
Early joiner
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 hours is about right I have had both my Road Master fitted with stage 2 cams but I have stuck with the Indian branded ones. Why because I have heard thing that may be true or not so true about the lift and springs on after market cams. I have not had any issues with the OME Cams and once I had them I had no intention doing any other mods as I had the stage 1 slip ons and the stage 1 hi flow filter ,I then bought a PVCX and got the Custom Dyno Tune to smooth out the rough running from the generic tune that was close but far from perfect ,but I expected that from a generic tune regardless. If you went with the OME cams I bought your going to have any issues and if tunes correctly the bike will run smoother , you will have better torque delivery across the rev range and gain some small H.P. but the torque is what most of us would want more than the HP as it is were you get the greatest benefit ,unless your dragging you bike. In that case you would need a much bigger cubic inch motor .
Thank you for the reply it’s very encouraging, I’m going to have it done but what do I ask for on the PVCX (what is that) and that something I should expect the dealer to have in stock?

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Thank you for the reply it’s very encouraging, I’m going to have it done but what do I ask for on the PVCX (what is that) and that something I should expect the dealer to have in stock?
DynoJet tuning products. The PVCX is now the PV3. If you want your bike tuned the best it can be, the Polaris flash generally is not the best.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Joe as dieselgman mentioned the Polaris tune is ok but it is a generic tune based on an average taken over a given amount of bikes with the same mods and using a fuel that would be widely used. The advantage that the PVCX and PV 3 give is that it allows the rough sections of the generic tune to be tuned out and make the bikes engine run smoother ,giving you more torque and h.p. the thing you would be looking for is a nice smooth torque curve and your tuner should be able to do that for you.Plus if you have issues with the heat in the rear cylinder like most of us you get most of that tuned out at the same time. We don't have the PV3 here in Australia as yet so I had to go with the PVCX basically the same but with the PV3 you can take it from bike to bike ,where the PVCX in bike pacific.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Joe as dieselgman mentioned the Polaris tune is ok but it is a generic tune based on an average taken over a given amount of bikes with the same mods and using a fuel that would be widely used. The advantage that the PVCX and PV 3 give is that it allows the rough sections of the generic tune to be tuned out and make the bikes engine run smoother ,giving you more torque and h.p. the thing you would be looking for is a nice smooth torque curve and your tuner should be able to do that for you.Plus if you have issues with the heat in the rear cylinder like most of us you get most of that tuned out at the same time. We don't have the PV3 here in Australia as yet so I had to go with the PVCX basically the same but with the PV3 you can take it from bike to bike ,where the PVCX in bike pacific .
Actually, the PV3 is just the newer version of the PVCX. I wish I could purchase a device or license for multiple bikes, but these devices are all set up for single-bike use.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Actually, the PV3 is just the newer version of the PVCX. I wish I could purchase a device or license for multiple bikes, but these devices are all set up for single-bike use.
We don't have the PV3 here yet ,my dealership told me the only difference was the PV3 was able to be used with multiple bikes ,so looks like they had no idea once again. Thanks for the correction.

·
Early joiner
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had Hollister Indian install the cams and picked my Vintage up yesterday. It sounds a little louder and slightly more camme (is that even a word, or Vic’s daughters name) anyway now it’s clacking like I have heard some Indians do! Could the cams have caused this and should I bring it back to the dealer?
Hollister is a great dealer and I very confident they will stand behind there work if it’s a problem.
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Question guys, I have stage one done on my Vintage here in New Zealand, I have read that getting a fuel management system is advantageous over having to get the ecu re done all the time, and that the generic programs from Polaris are a bit average. Has anyone used one, or a Dobeck Performance Fuel Computer, they seem to be rated well and easy to use? Or is that what the PV3 is?

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
We don't have the PV3 here in Australia as yet so I had to go with the PVCX basically the same but with the PV3 you can take it from bike to bike ,where the PVCX in bike pacific .
Hey Gee efff reeee, is bike pacific the opposite of bike Atlantic?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Question guys, I have stage one done on my Vintage here in New Zealand, I have read that getting a fuel management system is advantageous over having to get the ecu re done all the time, and that the generic programs from Polaris are a bit average. Has anyone used one, or a Dobeck Performance Fuel Computer, they seem to be rated well and easy to use? Or is that what the PV3 is?

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Dobeck is just a piggyback fuel controller that stays on the bike I had one fitted on my Vintage for 6 mths 4yrs ago it stopped some decel popping then Dynojet released the PVCX flash tuner, it allows you access to the ECU via the diagnostic port, you can change the tune to suit your bike, it doesn’t have to stay on the bike after you have flashed a tune it is a powerful tool for tuning, the PV3 is the latest version of the PVCX flash tuner, I have the PVCX flash tuners for both my Indians, and a PV3 for my Honda Monkey, buy the PV3 from Fuelmoto, you can then download tunes from Dynojet or Fuelmoto to suit your bike, Fuelmoto offer a remote tuning service, both my bikes have been remotely tuned with great results.

·
Rider
1,382 Posts
I had Hollister Indian install the cams and picked my Vintage up yesterday. It sounds a little louder and slightly more camme (is that even a word, or Vic’s daughters name) anyway now it’s clacking like I have heard some Indians do! Could the cams have caused this and should I bring it back to the dealer?
Hollister is a great dealer and I very confident they will stand behind there work if it’s a problem.
Your thoughts?
Are using a PVCX / PV3 or just the flash from the dealer?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts