Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’d like to know if owners who chose the Indian Stage 2 cams and decided to keep them are happy with them with the Indian tune? I know most people prefer aftermarket cams like Lloyds but I’d like to hear responses only from those people living with the Indian cams and mainly those with the Indian Stage 2 tune. I already know Lloyds and others provide better performance as well as the custom tunes like Fuel Moto.

Do the Indian cams make riding more enjoyable? Does it add vibration?

Does it make the engine run hotter than stock?

Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

(Hate to be negative but lets see if many still bring up after market and say how it is not the best to use the Indian cams even after saying I know after market give better performance and I’m only Interested in the experience with the Indian cams with the Indian tune. Hopefully I am being overly negative - but I have been a member of this forum for a while )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Vendor / bronze
2,847 Posts
I had stage two cams installed on my Springfield. It supposedly adds more power especially if you add other performance mods. But the way it changes the exhaust sound alone ie worth it. It makes the sound lope more like a Harley. It has caused no problems for me and I change intakes and exhaust and fuel computers very often.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had stage two cams installed on my Springfield. It supposedly adds more power especially if you add other performance mods. But the way it changes the exhaust sound alone ie worth it. It makes the sound lope more like a Harley. It has caused no problems for me and I change intakes and exhaust and fuel computers very often.
Marcus, thanks for your input. It sounds like your speaking in the past tense like you had them installed on your previous bike but not your current bike. Am I misreading what your saying? Just wondering if you tried them but decided not to reinstall on a newer bike?

·
Vendor / bronze
2,847 Posts
No I have them on my current bike a 2016 Springfield. I love them. I think it is a better route to go than the high performance cams UNLESS you can afford to deal with a few issues and experiment a little. If you can afford it, I would play with the high performance ones. I am trying to offer reliable solid parts and advice for these bikes. The high performance cams sometimes require other components to go along with them. I don't want to sound negative on this. I love to experiment and find new ways to do things. If you go the high performance route I suggest you buy everything from one source and follow their advice. If you mix and match you are kind of on your own.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I rode about 1500 miles on stage 2 cams and Indian tune. The sound alone is worth the price. The stock Indian tune, along with air cleaner/pipes was good, reduced heat, no real rattle/lifter noise, but lacked throttle response and refinement. It is a big improvement over stock though.

Adding the pvcx really woke it up, and in my mind is almost a necessity, especially with FM or Craig’s tune (I now have 14,000 miles with this setup).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the stage 2 on my 14 chieftain with the Indian tune. The bike is ridden with 2 up almost all the time. And I am getting 46 mpg. Unless out on the interstate and playing real hard with the wrist. Lol. For me there is plenty of power and the ride ability is enough to keep me smiling.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rode about 1500 miles on stage 2 cams and Indian tune. The sound alone is worth the price. The stock Indian tune, along with air cleaner/pipes was good, reduced heat, no real rattle/lifter noise, but lacked throttle response and refinement. It is a big improvement over stock though.

Adding the pvcx really woke it up, and in my mind is almost a necessity, especially with FM or Craig’s tune (I now have 14,000 miles with this setup).
I’m interested in knowing more about your observation of lacking throttle response and refinement. If I’m happy with the stock throttle response on my 2018 Chieftain would I still be happy with Stage two with Indian tune or does it lack refinement and throttle response more than the stock setup?

On a side note I’ve noticed that the stock throttle response on my 2018 Chieftain Limited is better than the stock throttle response on my 2017 Springfield I had. So I would hate to lose that. I also don’t want to lose refinement going with the stage 2 with Indian tune. I’d rather keep it stock than losing a feeling of refinement.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I had stage 2 installed pretty early on, but I do remember that it definitely is a nice power upgrade and put a smile on my face when I picked it up.
The dealer sold me on the stage 2 by hearing it in person, love the sound/lope.

If you are happy with the throttle response with the Indian tune, then yes you would be happy with stage 2, to me were similar. On slow maneuvers, I prefer the pvcx to reduce throttle lag, but by no means is the stock a slouch, just my preference.
The pvcx just woke up the bike... pulls harder with a higher revs and adding low end torque.

I really do think you will like the stage 2, best bang for your buck performance.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had stage 2 installed pretty early on, but I do remember that it definitely is a nice power upgrade and put a smile on my face when I picked it up.
The dealer sold me on the stage 2 by hearing it in person, love the sound/lope.

If you are happy with the throttle response with the Indian tune, then yes you would be happy with stage 2, to me were similar. On slow maneuvers, I prefer the pvcx to reduce throttle lag, but by no means is the stock a slouch, just my preference.
The pvcx just woke up the bike... pulls harder with a higher revs and adding low end torque.

I really do think you will like the stage 2, best bang for your buck performance.
Which air cleaner did you go with?

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I have the Indian round air cleaner, just liked the looks better

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Do the Indian cams make riding more enjoyable? Does it add vibration?

Does it make the engine run hotter than stock?
Yes the stage 2 cams make the bike perform much better over stock.
No vibration.

Engine doesn't run any hotter than stock. I don’t have any issues with heat in stop and go traffic at high ambient heat temperatures. I’ve never considered putting on the Captain Itch heat deflectors. I have an oil temperature dip stick and mainly see temperatures around 200-215F cruising highway speeds with ambient temps in the 80s.

I had the bike tuned by Craig through ARTS and he woke the bike up. Great throttle response and great performance. The difference between Craig’s tune and Indians Stage 2 is night and day! I rode a BBK 116 Stage 3 2019 Chieftain (in sport mode) and I honestly felt disappointed with the performance of the BBK compared to my bike. My throttle response seems much better and my bike seemed to pull as hard. I certainly can’t justify spending $5k for the stage 3 after comparing the 2.

I just wish my engine wasn’t so noisy! I’ve had the dreaded clack since day 1. Craig offered to tune out the noise but at a loss of performance (which I wasn’t prepared to do), so I just screw in the ear plugs and turn up the stereo. I have considered changing the cams to LLOYDZ 558’s as the comments comparing the stage 2 to 558’s really seem to favour the 558’s. I have to remember I’m riding a Roadmaster (touring bike) and not a crotch rocket. My bike performs very well and I really enjoy the twisty’s on my bike at speed, dragging the foot rests!

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Marcus, thanks for your input. It sounds like your speaking in the past tense like you had them installed on your previous bike but not your current bike. Am I misreading what your saying? Just wondering if you tried them but decided not to reinstall on a newer bike?

Not answering for @Marcus , only myself. I would love to have my stage 2 cams reinstalled WITH tte current 116 BBK tyat is in place. I think it might effect timing, which I don't have/want a fuel controller. jm.

Darren

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes the stage 2 cams make the bike perform much better over stock.
No vibration.

Engine doesn't run any hotter than stock. I don’t have any issues with heat in stop and go traffic at high ambient heat temperatures. I’ve never considered putting on the Captain Itch heat deflectors. I have an oil temperature dip stick and mainly see temperatures around 200-215F cruising highway speeds with ambient temps in the 80s.

I had the bike tuned by Craig through ARTS and he woke the bike up. Great throttle response and great performance. The difference between Craig’s tune and Indians Stage 2 is night and day! I rode a BBK 116 Stage 3 2019 Chieftain (in sport mode) and I honestly felt disappointed with the performance of the BBK compared to my bike. My throttle response seems much better and my bike seemed to pull as hard. I certainly can’t justify spending $5k for the stage 3 after comparing the 2.

I just wish my engine wasn’t so noisy! I’ve had the dreaded clack since day 1. Craig offered to tune out the noise but at a loss of performance (which I wasn’t prepared to do), so I just screw in the ear plugs and turn up the stereo. I have considered changing the cams to LLOYDZ 558’s as the comments comparing the stage 2 to 558’s really seem to favour the 558’s. I have to remember I’m riding a Roadmaster (touring bike) and not a crotch rocket. My bike performs very well and I really enjoy the twisty’s on my bike at speed, dragging the foot rests!
Just as a sidenote they re-designed the pistons in 2018 to address the clacking so I’m wondering if you could get 2018 pistons installed on your bike? They probably will not do it under warranty and I’m sure it’s not cheap to do but it might allow you to ride your bike without the added sound.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I’ve certainly considered changing the pistons. I’ve got 66,000 km on the bike and I’d certainly be happier if the bike was quieter. I don’t have a lot of faith in my dealer to do the engine work though. Looking elsewhere to get the pistons done.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the Indian round air cleaner, just liked the looks better
I prefer the looks of the round air cleaner too but there are a couple things that I’m concerned about with it so I’m interested in your take as well as others comments.

1. I understand the round air cleaner creates more noise, is that true? I don’t want anything else competing with the music system. The slightly louder pipes will already generate more competition.

2. The air cleaners made by Indian have an air scoop on the bottom backside of the air cleaner housing. The scoop isn’t for the air intake it’s to channel air to the rear cylinder to help cool it since the front cylinder is blocking some air from the rear so it seems when Indian made this design they acknowledged heat is a issue. But the scoop on the round air cleaner is a lot smaller than both the stock or oval performance air cleaner. Because of this it seems that the rear cylinder will run hotter with the round air cleaner than the stock or the high-performance one. A friend of mine has the round hair cleaner with just the stage one pipes and the stock Indian tune. On a ride through Arizona he got blisters on his right leg because of the heat coming off the rear cylinder which seems to back up my theory. So I think with the stock Indian tune the rear cylinder is going to be hotter with the round air filter with the smaller scoop. Any thoughts on that?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I have the Indian Stage 1 round air cleaner and have ridden in Arizona in 90 degree temperatures and stop and go traffic. I’ve never had heat issues as others describe. Yes I can feel the heat off the rear jug but it’s never been a concern.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had them installed when they first came out along with the other usual things, as they were recommended by dealer to get the most out of cams and my pocketbook. I do like what they have done to give a boost to performance. Would I do it again, probably not as I get nothing extra at trade in time, but I doubt I will do that either. I think this is my last bike. I have been told by an Indian insider to wait for next generation, but that might be the current liquid cooled iteration , he was a little vague on what I should be waiting for .

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Rider
1,391 Posts
I have the round Lloyd’s on my 18 vintage along with handlebar mounted Boss speakers. You can hear engine noise but not clacking. Obviously between the stereo and Vance and Hines exhaust I really don’t hear it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts