Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on having the stage 2 cams installed and thinking of going with this Wimmer Air Cleaner set up. You guys that have this AC or that have had this AC on your 111 bikes, is it a good choice? What's your opinion... the good, the bad, and the ugly?

I already have the stage 1 mufflers, CAT is still in but will probably remove it eventually, and I will likely be getting the PV3 after the cams are installed.

Your thoughts?? Thanks in advance (o:

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
The Wimmer A/C performs well. I tell folks to buy the A/C that looks good to them and at the price point they like. Almost all high flow A/C's will perform equally well on our engines.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
The Wimmer A/C performs well. I tell folks to buy the A/C that looks good to them and at the price point they like. Almost all high flow A/C's will perform equally well on our engines.
I agree that most of the high flow intakes will provide all the air the 111 and 116 engine can demand. Looks are the main deciding factors. However a small point is the flow route the air has to take to get into the manifold. A hard turn does slow the flow down (basic hydraulics). Thus we offer the Ripper intake. The enlarged elbow is a method to restrict the air flow less. But of course you also have to like the looks. So here is another choice to consider.
LINK: https://www.indianaftermarket.com/ripper-intake-blk.html

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
IThus we offer the Ripper intake. The enlarged elbow is a method to restrict the air flow less. But of course you also have to like the looks. So here is another choice to consider.
I agree that your Ripper is an excellent A/C at a good price and has the looks that a lot of folks like.

Full disclosure, I have tested and currently am testing the Ripper that Marcus sent me. It is very impressive.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Craig for the response. Your opinion means a lot and of course helps my decision process!!

And thank you too, Marcus. I'm sure the Ripper is a good product but it isn't quite the look I'm going for.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Wimmer AC arrived a couple of days ago. Seems well made and looks good.

Question... I hope to be trailering my '15 Vintage to the dealer for the stage 2 cam install in a week or two. Can I or should I deliver bike to them with the Wimmer already installed, or should I let the dealer install it? I ask because I realize they will need to do a stg2 re-flash, but will I/P first need to read the ECU with the bed pan in place, prior to the re-flash??

Thanks - as always (o:

·
Rider
1,593 Posts
They will probably charge you labor for removing the bed pan and then installing the new one. If your not riding it down there I’d put it myself / yourself. They may have to use a calibration card for the open air cleaner and obviously another one for the cams. After all that grab the PV and get a tune form Craig B

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They will probably charge you labor for removing the bed pan and then installing the new one. If your not riding it down there I’d put it myself / yourself. They may have to use a calibration card for the open air cleaner and obviously another one for the cams. After all that grab the PV and get a tune form Craig B
That's how I see it too, install the Wimmer and deliver the bike to them. No doubt they would charge to remove the bed pan and install the Wimmer, and I'd be ok with that if the pan needs to be in place for some reason. I bought two calibration cards from a member here so should be all set with that. I agree... PV3 is likely to be in my future.

Thanks for the feedback!!

·
Bronze member
3,440 Posts
That's how I see it too, install the Wimmer and deliver the bike to them. No doubt they would charge to remove the bed pan and install the Wimmer, and I'd be ok with that if the pan needs to be in place for some reason. I bought two calibration cards from a member here so should be all set with that. I agree... PV3 is likely to be in my future.

Thanks for the feedback!!
I thought the calibration cards just let them into the system on their computer and then they picked what they needed for an upgrade; like yours would be stage II because you have to have stage 1 already on for it to work... and a lot of riders have stage 1 and II installed at the same time... to me it wouldn't make any sense for the dealer to spend his time downloading a stage 1 and then downloading a stage II... but what do I know...

separate question for those in the know... kinda the same as WillyH's… with a twist... I'm doing the same thing but plan on driving the 50 miles into the dealership... is it going to hurt anything not having a stage 1 download for those 50 miles?

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the calibration cards just let them into the system on their computer and then they picked what they needed for an upgrade; like yours would be stage II because you have to have stage 1 already on for it to work... and a lot of riders have stage 1 and II installed at the same time... to me it wouldn't make any sense for the dealer to spend his time downloading a stage 1 and then downloading a stage II... but what do I know...

separate question for those in the know... kinda the same as WillyH's… with a twist... I'm doing the same thing but plan on driving the 50 miles into the dealership... is it going to hurt anything not having a stage 1 download for those 50 miles?
I bought my '15 used a little over a year ago and it already had the stage 1 muffs, but not the stage 1 air cleaner. As I understand it there's no need for a reflash if the stg 1 muffs only are installed, and no high flow air filter. But same as you...what do I know LOL. I wouldn't bet any big $$ that mine was or wasn't reflashed, but I would guess it was not reflashed.

I was thinking the same as you... put the Wimmer AC on and ride it to the dealer (50 miles) for the cam change, and hitch a ride back home with a friend. But I'm thinking with the Wimmer, and without the stage 1 flash the engine would be running too lean/hot and it could be damaged. So I figure wtf... best just to rent a U-Haul and trailer it.

·
Rider
1,593 Posts
High Plains,
I would think it throw the fuel air mixture off and throw codes. Not sure if I’d take the chance on that one for 50 miles maybe one of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts