Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am very interested in the new Stage 2 cams and have made this upgrade on my H/D's in the past with very good results.

After only seeing a couple inferences on previous posts, I am wondering about the impact of the cams on MPG, not so much from a cost of fuel, but from a mile/touring range before needing to fill-up again. My roadmaster is my long range touring bike and out here in the west the miles between gas stations can be greater than 150-180 miles. Right now my range between fill-ups is comfortably over 200 miles per tank.

So I am hoping you can help a brother out and post your highway MPG after installing the stage 2 cams so that we can all see what the touring range now looks like.

Thank you.

Dave

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm running about 40 mpg and that is without the Dobeck connected. I expect this to increase when I get the new Dyno'd numbers from them. As far as I know the 02 sensors are disconnected, have heard this could add 3 mpg to the average...

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
39 MPG before cams

30 MPG after cams. (Not good)

I dont think most people are resetting their MPG display after the cams. So I feel that many may slowly see their average come down more and more as the miles pile on.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
42.9 mpg before Cams and now 40.7 after Cams on my 2015 Chieftain.

I ride hard and fast a lot if conditions permit, cruise around 70 to 75 mph.

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those of you that aren't running an additional fuel controller, do you like what you are feeling for performance increase?

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Got a feeling the mileage will change from the "use" and not the cams themselves. After all do they not make the engine more efficient?
Exactly, think I am now riding it harder with the new Cams, so that is probably why I drop 2 mpg for now.

Live Free and Die Well

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
Got a feeling the mileage will change from the "use" and not the cams themselves. After all do they not make the engine more efficient?
More efficient at moving air, which in turn requires additional fuel to accompany that, thus decreased mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
39 MPG before cams

30 MPG after cams. (Not good)

I dont think most people are resetting their MPG display after the cams. So I feel that many may slowly see their average come down more and more as the miles pile on.

Wow, I wonder how much it will cost to replace the stage 2s back to original? I'm glad I made sure I kept my old ones, I haven't even put one mile on the bike due to weather. Maybe I should get them changed back ASAP. Anyone want to buy a set of barely used stage 2 cams?

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
More efficient at moving air, which in turn requires additional fuel to accompany that, thus decreased mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If on one hand the engine becomes more efficient and it requires an exact amount of power to...say cruise down the high way at some certain speed then the actual MPG at those conditions would increase. If you were playing Go-Fast....and with the new cams more power supposedly available one would get a lower MPG in that condition.

With a set of cams that increased the perceived or real increase in power, the natural tendency is to enjoy the new found fun factor, otherwise why in the world to spend the money???? The bike will end up being ridden more often in a manor that will cause a lower MPG.............But it will be more fun. :D

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
If the efficiency is better. And the same amount of energy is needed to propel the same mass, then to maintain the same forward motion would mean, in this case a motorcycle, would need less throttle opening. Less throttle opening would translate into less fuel and air resulting in greater or at least equal mileage. Now that has me wondering, just to be on the safe side, should I just reinstall the intake cam to stock and keep the exhaust cams stage 2? We need answers!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Reason I am getting 2 mpg less right now is that I am getting on the throttle a lot harder with the new Cams, it is so much more fun to ride, got to really hang on from the get go with the extra torque.

Once I get back to my so called normal riding style, the mpg should go back up.

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Don't really care about MPG.i have fun just wasting gas!!!

Reactions: SterlingDrive

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Rode a bit today with the new cams.

Did about 50mi on the highway, 45 mpg indicated, which is where I was before (reset the avg gauge). 75 mph constantly and in 6th, reasonably flat terrain.

In the city, about 32 and I was at 40 before. I'm sure (like Roadie) it's because my right wrist is more inclined to flex with the new cams. I also feel like I'm keeping it in each gear longer than the owner's manual recommends for maximum EPA efficiency.

The funny part is this is the first time I've run the RM for an extended period with the stereo off. The sound is awesome. I'll see if I can put on the gopro tomorrow to get a full video/sound clip.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is a good thread, interested to see what others have to say

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good stuff, I am hopeful after the 'newness' of the install is over we find just a small to no impact to the MPG. I need/want at least a 200 mile range per tank as I cruise around the great expanses of the West.

Dave

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Have Cammed the last 4 Bikes owned previous to the Scout and generally lost 3-5 MPG but the power exchange was worth it .. On a Neat Comparison though From Lake City through North GA all Interstate Averaging 75-80 MPH on I-75 My Cammed Bike beat the 2 Stock Bikes by 2-3 MPG ( Same Make and Model, Victory Cross Country's ) Showing the Cams had the Engine working a bit less at Freeway Speed RPM's ..

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have Cammed the last 4 Bikes owned previous to the Scout and generally lost 3-5 MPG but the power exchange was worth it .. On a Neat Comparison though From Lake City through North GA all Interstate Averaging 75-80 MPH on I-75 My Cammed Bike beat the 2 Stock Bikes by 2-3 MPG ( Same Make and Model, Victory Cross Country's ) Showing the Cams had the Engine working a bit less at Freeway Speed RPM's ..
I had the same experience with a EVO.

That would be a dream with my RM. Fingers crossed.

Dave

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Went out and rode another 250 miles yesterday, averaging 65 to 70 mph with the new Cams, my average MPG is creeping backup, now 41.2 as of today, was 42.9 before the Cams.

Live Free and Die Well

·
Rider
410 Posts
I haven't cammed an Indian, but would like to offer my experience...

Had some real nice cams installed years ago in my Roadking (Woods). First several weeks I noticed that I had lost 2-4 mpgs... Consistently. Trade-off in useable real world power was still worth it. Then I went on my annual spring road trip to Houston (approximately 3,500 miles roundtrip). My mileage on the trip went up 3.5 mpg. My riding on the super slab was consistently showing the same increase in mileage for the rest of the bike's history. This was a trade off I am still willing to make, as I am a road trip enthusiast.

Most people can't understand why we would care so much about a few mpgs on an bike that's already getting approx 40 mpg. Hell, I lose NO sleep over the 20mpg my F150 gets. But for me it's all about RANGE. That extra 20-30 miles per 5.5 gallon tank is real time when your riding 600 miles a day. I could give a $hit about the couple dollars..

Sorry about the hijak... Carry on.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts