Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many that have had the stage 2 cams installed so my question for you is did you notice any change in valve train noise? Better, worse, same, never heard it before or after? Is the performance gain worth the cost?

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
I know there are many that have had the stage 2 cams installed so my question for you is did you notice any change in valve train noise? Better, worse, same, never heard it before or after? Is the performance gain worth the cost?
Careful,
Ausiekeeper was tarred, feathered, publicly flogged, called a troll, then put out to pasture for asking the same question (albeit in different wording)

Anyone considered this?? | Indian Motorcycle Forum

·
3,516 Posts
Disclaimer, I would also be interested in hearing of others experiences

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Two of my Buddies have the Performance Cams installed, not any Clackers between the two bikes, one a 2014 Vintage and the other a 2015 Chieftain. Sound the same as before except for the idling. My 2015 Chieftain goes in for the Cams next week, has never Clacked with over 15,000 miles on it.

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
Mine has had a chatter in that 2100-2400 range since purchase back in 2013.

I put on FP true duals and didn't notice the chatter as much.

After installing cams, I notice the chatter again. Take it for what it's worth, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,900 Posts
Just heard back from the local Indian rep I talk to. I questioned him if the cam noise that is prevalent on the 2014s reappear with the Stage 2 cams and he stated NO. The ramp profiles are different and there should be none of the noise that was heard on the 2014s from 2000 to 2400 RPMs. Dean E.

·
3,516 Posts
Just heard back from the local Indian rep I talk to. I questioned him if the cam noise that is prevalent on the 2014s reappear with the Stage 2 cams and he stated NO. The ramp profiles are different and there should be none of the noise that was heard on the 2014s from 2000 to 2400 RPMs. Dean E.

Attachments

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
Haha, if the cam created the problem in the first place, this may be true.

·
2,900 Posts
Haha, if the cam created the problem in the first place, this may be true.

Well I can tell you it is true. My RM is truly a clanker. I pressured Indian enough were the had a rep come down to St. Louis from MN just to evaluate my bike. The rep that showed up talked to me in great detail what was going on with the clanking noise. The rep rode down on a 2014 Chieftain. He explained there was two different types of clanking that people are experiencing. He first took me out to the 2014 he rode down on. Started the bike and sitting there ran the throttle up to 2300 RPMs. Low and behold there was the engine clanking noise I was experiencing. He then rode my bike and confirmed what I was experiencing. My clanking happens at 2600 to 2900 RPMs with a light throttle input. He stated this is piston slap that I was hearing. Indian is working on a solution for the piston slap. The 2014 issue was cam noise caused by the aggressive ramp profile of the cam lobe. I believe it is the intake side but I may have it backwards. The IPC shows different part numbers between the two years on the cams.

He stated that you can't feel the difference between the 2014 and 2015s but on a dyno the 15s make slightly less power than the 14s. This is what I was worried about with the Stage 2 cams. My guess is the ramp profile is close to the 15s but with a bit more overlap between the intake and exhaust openings giving that lopey idle and stronger mid range torque and upper end power.

I'm convinced. I want will put the cams in sometime latter this spring and I'll go with the Lloydz intake instead of the Stage 1 intake. Dean

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I can tell you it is true. My RM is truly a clanker. I pressured Indian enough were the had a rep come down to St. Louis from MN just to evaluate my bike. The rep that showed up talked to me in great detail what was going on with the clanking noise. The rep rode down on a 2014 Chieftain. He explained there was two different types of clanking that people are experiencing. He first took me out to the 2014 he rode down on. Started the bike and sitting there ran the throttle up to 2300 RPMs. Low and behold there was the engine clanking noise I was experiencing. He then rode my bike and confirmed what I was experiencing. My clanking happens at 2600 to 2900 RPMs with a light throttle input. He stated this is piston slap that I was hearing. Indian is working on a solution for the piston slap. The 2014 issue was cam noise caused by the aggressive ramp profile of the cam lobe. I believe it is the intake side but I may have it backwards. The IPC shows different part numbers between the two years on the cams.

He stated that you can't feel the difference between the 2014 and 2015s but on a dyno the 15s make slightly less power than the 14s. This is what I was worried about with the Stage 2 cams. My guess is the ramp profile is close to the 15s but with a bit more overlap between the intake and exhaust openings giving that lopey idle and stronger mid range torque and upper end power.

I'm convinced. I want will put the cams in sometime latter this spring and I'll go with the Lloydz intake instead of the Stage 1 intake. Dean
I have a 2015 RM and that is the range my noise is in but it is more noticeable when warm which is usually not the case with piston related noises. Usually as they warm up they are less noisy at least that has been my experience. Mine is most noisy under light throttle at cruising speed, getting used to it now though, coming from liquid cooled it is different but I just do not want to end up with more noise if I do the cam swap.

·
2,900 Posts
I have a 2015 RM and that is the range my noise is in but it is more noticeable when warm which is usually not the case with piston related noises. Usually as they warm up they are less noisy at least that has been my experience. Mine is most noisy under light throttle at cruising speed, getting used to it now though, coming from liquid cooled it is different but I just do not want to end up with more noise if I do the cam swap.
I agree to a point. I had an old Chevy 350 with piston slap. I would hear it on cold mornings when I first started the truck. That makes sense on a iron block 350 with aluminum Pistons. On the 111 we have Aluminum cylinders and aluminum Pistons. The piston slap there happens once the engine gets good and hot because the cylinder will expand more that the piston will. The light throttle loads set things up where the rocking of the piston will cause the slap to be more noticeable. Dean

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I had an old Pontiac grand am for one of my kids that almost from new the v6 made all kinds of tapping noises until it warmed up. It was still doing it at 250000miles when my brother junked it. I guess the question is whether or not the engine noise is annoying but not fatal in the lifespan of the motor. But it would be nice if it was fixed.........

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts

Sorry, you got fed a line and bought all of it. I have a 14, the noise got worse with the cams, so that shoots the whole theory out of the water in regard to the cams.

On the piston slap front, I don't buy it for a minute. This doesn't sound like any piston slap I've ever heard, nor any that anyone else has ever heard, so I'm not buying that theory at all. If I get the big bore kit and it goes away, I'll let ya know that I was wrong, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

·
2,900 Posts
Sorry, you got fed a line and bought all of it. I have a 14, the noise got worse with the cams, so that shoots the whole theory out of the water in regard to the cams.

On the piston slap front, I don't buy it for a minute. This doesn't sound like any piston slap I've ever heard, nor any that anyone else has ever heard, so I'm not buying that theory at all. If I get the big bore kit and it goes away, I'll let ya know that I was wrong, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

So you don't buy it well sorry I don't think that is going to cause me to loose any sleep at night. Just passing on what I heard. I see alot of things that make me throw the BS flag. Some I prove wrong and some I learn from. Being an business jet field rep for 15 years and a mechanic for 12 years before that I learn new things on a daily basis. This happens because I keep an open mind. Everyone here can make up their own mind but I am more likely to put more thought behind what a rep from the factory states on this than any self proclaimed expert on the internet.

Me, I love the lopey idle. It is what a v twin motorcycle engine should sound like. Same for a properly set up muscle car. The factory graph for the stage 2 cams shows a better and flatter torque curve which is what a good cruiser/touring bike should have. If I put on the new cams and get a bunch of new valvetrain noise I will be the first to tell others what I have experienced. Dean

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
If I put on the new cams and get a bunch of new valvetrain noise I will be the first to tell others what I have experienced. Dean
Which is exactly what I've already done.

Sorry that you choose to believe a guy that was sent out to give you an answer to appease you.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts