Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 Chief Classic. I am curious if the stage 1 air filter and exhaust isworth it ($1500 + labor)? Has anyone done the stage 1? Is it a noticeable difference? Also, fuel economy: would this help or hurt?

·
Bronze member
1,218 Posts
It be worth your while attending a few imrg rides and meet people with the various stage enhancements and farkles , or not. Then you could see for yourself and get it from the horses mouth so to speak. It could save you your money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you’re going with stage 2 and want to stay within warranty, then I would say yes. If you’re going for customization and louder exhaust there are a ton of options outside Indian. I put a stage 1 high flow air cleaner and Indian exhaust. The tone of the exhaust is a little deeper, but not much louder. The air cleaner looks really nice, but I didn’t notice much power difference. Stage 2 is where the bike really woke up, but the stock tune sucked. The bike surged, lean decel pops and stalled a few times. If you do stage 2, plan on buying a pv3 tuner from fuel Moto and get a tune right from CraigB.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you’re going with stage 2 and want to stay within warranty, then I would say yes. If you’re going for customization and louder exhaust there are a ton of options outside Indian. I put a stage 1 high flow air cleaner and Indian exhaust. The tone of the exhaust is a little deeper, but not much louder. The air cleaner looks really nice, but I didn’t notice much power difference. Stage 2 is where the bike really woke up, but the stock tune sucked. The bike surged, lean decel pops and stalled a few times. If you do stage 2, plan on buying a pv3 tuner from fuel Moto and get a tune right from CraigB.
I agree with T Bone , my economy, power and sound all improved once the cams and ignition model were fitted. Just pipes and filter do not make much difference except look grouse. I also fitted a Commander ignition module and had it fun I turned. The beast from within will come alive and put a big fat grin on your face with stage 2. "Go hard or go home " ha ha If in doubt have another jar of juice and order the bits you won't regret tearing up the bitumen

·
174 Posts
The best part of upgrading the exhaust is getting rid of the cat.
T-bone gave you solid advice. I had all the same issues when I went stage 2 until I got in touch with Craig and bought a PV3.
Bike has been running great ever since.

·
Rider
719 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Chief Classic. I am curious if the stage 1 air filter and exhaust isworth it ($1500 + labor)? Has anyone done the stage 1? Is it a noticeable difference? Also, fuel economy: would this help or hurt?
Here's a thread I started a couple of weeks ago. My comments and some of the replies might give you some insight.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Aftermarket true duals and self-customized intake and PV3. No regrets and runs like a freight train.

Reactions: Kost

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True Duals will decrease performance. You’d be better off buying headers from Fuel Moto and slip on exhaust. Talk to CraigB, he will steer you in the right direction. Fuel Moto knows a lot about this stuff.
I see a lot of people talk about CraigB. How to you get in touch with him?

·
Registered
309 Posts
The best part of upgrading the exhaust is getting rid of the cat.
T-bone gave you solid advice. I had all the same issues when I went stage 2 until I got in touch with Craig and bought a PV3.
Bike has been running great ever since.
I agree with T Bone and Mclaiborne the best thing I did was eliminating the cat when I put Freedom pipes on. The heat reduction on the R/H side was huge. Heat is a major issue for myself and my shiela on the back considering we live in the tropics. The pipes also have a grouse note plus look wicked.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some awesome info here, friends!

So I hate to admit but I've never tuned any of my previous bikes.. but I'm intrigued by the "beast within" comments and am seriously considering some upgrades.

Forgive my ignorance, but must one go in order with these "stages"? Meaning, do I have to do stage 1 in order to do stage 2?

I'm planning some winter customization, and any guidance I can get will help.

·
Rider
1,576 Posts
I would go the the 111 performance section of the forum and prepare to have a cold drink or two. Short answer is depends on what you are wanting to do. A stage 2 will require a different air cleaner and potentially new slip ons and you are having cams put in. If you go with a stage 3 Bg Bore Kit 116. It comes with cams with other components and you will still need a different air cleaner and slip on exhaust. For example.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Some awesome info here, friends!

So I hate to admit but I've never tuned any of my previous bikes.. but I'm intrigued by the "beast within" comments and am seriously considering some upgrades.

Forgive my ignorance, but must one go in order with these "stages"? Meaning, do I have to do stage 1 in order to do stage 2?

I'm planning some winter customization, and any guidance I can get will help.
If you’re having the dealer install stage 2 cams they will require stage 1 air cleaner and slip on exhaust.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you’re having the dealer install stage 2 cams they will require stage 1 air cleaner and slip on exhaust.
T Bone is on track, It is pointless fitting cams without making the motor breathe better, so swap out the air filter and exhaust. This will improve the response and reduce heat, you will then be ready for cams. The ignition model is not a huge improvement unless you fit cams. Some people I know have not upgraded the ignition, however, it will run better. I am not sure how my much improvement there is with just the filter and pipes ad I changed everything at the same time. There was definitely an improvement in economy, power, sound, response, and reduction in heat. A lot to consider but very noticeable.
That's my 2 Bob.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do you have link for them?
I'll agree with other comments that true duals will affect performance...somewhat. My "seat of the pants" dyno tells me that opening up the intake and dialing in the tune with the PV3 made any performance loss from the duals a moot point. Plus I've always wanted a pair of fishtails and the sound suites me just fine.

Regarding the DIY intake, I was able to score a free stock intake take-off from the dealership, and just cut around mounting portion of the stock intake, added an S&S air filter from O'Reilly's with a homemade vinyl decal, and routed the breather tube down underneath the motor.

Do you have link for them?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I installed the Indian Stage 1 air cleaner and I noticed immediate punch in acceleration and in other ways. I'd describe it all as the engine getting a full breath of air now. Seems more than 3% to me too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts