Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello tribe I have never done much with my bikes in regards to engine upgrades. So with stage one can you put the air breather on without upgrading the exhaust or put the exhaust on without putting the air breather. Just looking to see if I can do one then do the other later.thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster w/BBK116
317 Posts
Pretty sure adding an exhaust won’t effect too much but adding new intake will definitely require a new tune, if adding Indian OEM parts they come with a flash card.

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster w/BBK116
317 Posts
Yes I’ve got high performance S1 air filter but still have OEM exhaust, may get new exhaust this year.

·
Bronze member
3,468 Posts
You can also add the stage 1 Indian exhaust without changing the air filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
and it won't need a tune... so 1.) exhaust only OK no tune needed 2.) air intake tune needed 3.) air intake + exhaust tune needed

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had the Stage 1 exhaust added to my former 2018 Scout. The exhaust comes with a card that the dealer uses to re-flash the computer. Better sound and throttle response after the re-flash.

·
Bronze member
1,829 Posts
Doing just one won't affect lean / rich dramatically. The ECM can make limited adjustments. An alternative to Stage One exhaust is just removing the plugs from stock mufflers. Sound great.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,797 Posts
Hello tribe I have never done much with my bikes in regards to engine upgrades. So with stage one can you put the air breather on without upgrading the exhaust or put the exhaust on without putting the air breather. Just looking to see if I can do one then do the other later.thanks in advance
There are 3 options to doing stage 1 stuff. The air cleaner alone, the exhaust alone, or both. Each one will have a different flash which will be the flash card code that comes from Indian when you buy any one of those options. The air cleaner option will definately need the flash but many have done aftermarket exhaust without flashing the ECM with no ill effects. Dean

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are 3 options to doing stage 1 stuff. The air cleaner alone, the exhaust alone, or both. Each one will have a different flash which will be the flash card code that comes from Indian when you buy any one of those options. The air cleaner option will definately need the flash but many have done aftermarket exhaust without flashing the ECM with no ill effects. Dean
Dealer is telling me I should do exhaust before air breather. or both at same time..

·
3,797 Posts
Dealer is telling me I should do exhaust before air breather. or both at same time..
If you plan on doing both then do both at the same time. As for doing the exhaust before the air breather I would ask WHY? There is no reason for doing the exhaust before doing the air breather that makes sense. If you want to save a bit of money there are plenty of threads here that talk about punching out the plugs on the stock exhaust to get a deeper and fully exhaust note. Also there are plenty of aftermarket exhaust pipes out there that will get you want you want. The Indian Stage 1 exhaust mufflers are pretty pricey for what you get. Also stay away from the oval stage 1 air cleaner. The element is paper and rarely in stock. The original round mesh filter is cleanable and will last a very long time. Dean

·
3,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Indian offers two different air intakes in one better than the other?
There no difference in any performance gains between the two. However...

The performance air filter uses a paper filter element just like the stock filter. Indian does NOT stock these filters though. If you go to the Indian site and look at reviews, it's nothing but people complaining they have a $500 filter that is only good for 10k miles, Indian says to replace the filter but there's no filters available.

The high flow filter is user serviceable. Brush the filter every so often and at 10k miles, clean with a dilution of simple green and water. Dry it and reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Just to add.
If you’re wanting to get a bit more performance out of your engine and are going to eventually do stage 1, 2 or 3... you’re going to want a PV3 from fuelmotousa and work with CraigB to get a good tune. You can start with that, spend less money than the intake or exhaust and get a better running bike with better performance than stage 1 would get you by itself. Just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts