Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Founding Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but have a Scout reserved, rode one at LV Bikefest, fell in love instantly. Can't hardly wait!.

So I'd like to upgrade the exhaust, but am hesitant to go with the Indian Stage 1 just to get something better than stock delivered with the bike, as I think it is inevitable that V&H and others will come out with pipes, SO, I am thinking the most sensible thing would be to wait for the aftermarket to catch up?

Cheers!

Rick

·
Registered
25 Posts
With how popular the new scout is and the fact that every motorcycle publication is running a story on it you can bet the aftermaket will be working overtime to make parts for it. I'm going to wait and see what turns up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Aftermarket. I think there will be an aftermarket powercommander type device available and I know V and H already has created exhaust for the bike. I'm sure others are creating exhaust for us too.

If Indian Stage 1 works well, I will go that way with a better exhaust like I did with my Triumph. If its anything like my Harley's, I will definitely put a tuning chip on there and have it dyno'd.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I just need to see something better than what I've seen so far. Whether it is factory or aftermarket....I'll have to wait. I'll know it when I see it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you got time to provide a quick comment, or comparison, between your Street Bob and the Scout? Anything general, and highway riding potential in particular. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Different bike but I went with the Stage 1 on my Roadmaster. I love it, and can't image better pipes. They're loud but not obnoxious, and I like to hear my stereo.

My thoughts on going with the Stage 1 was to avoid any warranty hassles, and that Indian retunes the engine computer after installation.

Good luck with your Scout, I'll be getting one sometime next year I think.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I am going to go with an aftermarket. I like the zoomies that Hacker Custom Exhaust makes and they will be making them for the scout as soon as they get theirs.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you are going to carry a passenger the Street Bob is a bigger bike.
I didn't like the ride on the Street Bob. I don't like the mini apes.
The Harley is a Harley if that is what you want.
The Street Bob with the 103 really runs hard.
My demo on the Scout was what I thought a better ride.
The Scout is a smaller bike. Like the Sportster.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Different bike but I went with the Stage 1 on my Roadmaster. I love it, and can't image better pipes. They're loud but not obnoxious, and I like to hear my stereo.

My thoughts on going with the Stage 1 was to avoid any warranty hassles, and that Indian retunes the engine computer after installation.

Good luck with your Scout, I'll be getting one sometime next year I think.

PakRat, I agree, I ordered the Stage 1 from Indian for my new Scout. The dealer will tell you that the aftermarket pipes will void the warranty to sell theirs. I am taking no chances for a while, I am going with factory Stage 1...the price isn't that horrific and I want better pipes, sound and small boost in power. Until the aftermarket develops/matures for the Scout which may be one to two years away, I will wait. Now I wait for the new Scout as many of us are...come on December!

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are going to carry a passenger the Street Bob is a bigger bike.
I didn't like the ride on the Street Bob. I don't like the mini apes.
The Harley is a Harley if that is what you want.
The Street Bob with the 103 really runs hard.
My demo on the Scout was what I thought a better ride.
The Scout is a smaller bike. Like the Sportster.

Thanks for replying re the Street Bob vs Scout information. We don't have demo days in Australia yet, so this info is useful in helping me decide whether to pre-order or not. Having owned a Sporty, I know what you mean by both references. Cheers!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for replying re the Street Bob vs Scout information. We don't have demo days in Australia yet, so this info is useful in helping me decide whether to pre-order or not. Having owned a Sporty, I know what you mean by both references. Cheers!
I have rode a few Sportys never owned one. Never liked them either. Test rode the Scout when the demo trailer was in St Paul. That was a great ride if I wanted a sport bike I would buy one. I had already sold myself on the Vintage before I test rode them all. motorcycles 010.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
What a shot that green looks awesome in that light with the bling fishy fins. Nice Scoot!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Do you have a link for the VH exhaust bobby? I've been waiting to see what they come up with!
spoke with Vance and Hines through email and requested build an exhaust. They said they already created a slip-on system which should be available through Indian dealers or online. They did not provide me any information about what it looked like. I'm very sorry that I cannot provide a hyperlink to the exhaust.

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Personally, I plan to wait for the aftermarket to catch up. I was reading in the Cycle World magazine article regarding the Scout that they were sure there was up to 140 hp hiding in the motor, but they wanted the introductory version to be newbie friendly. It will be interesting to see what some aftermarket pipes and a remap can do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have been thinking a bit about this and talking to a few folk, and the main problem I think I'm going to have is violating the warranty. I'm no doctor, but I suspect if I put anything on but indian exhaust, I've probably voided the whole thing... and I really want some straight shorties on my scout haha.

·
Founding Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The warranty issue regarding moving to aftermarket pipes that some brought up tends to weigh a little heavier in this decision than usual for me, as we all will be "early adopters", and if there are other issues it would not be good to have Indian voiding my warranty. Since from December (hoping for early Dec.!) to Spring the riding around CO will be spotty anyway, I am leaning towards just waiting until then to make a move.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If the stage 1 are anything like the the Victory judge at demo ride for Victory, they will really wake up that motor and be very nice to listen to. Yes I have ridden Scout also, but with only stock exhaust.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm waiting for something like what's on the Wall of Death Scout.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts