Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2018 Scout Bobber to my Indian Dealership for a 5K mile tune-up and replacement of tires (to Michellin Commander 2) I also wanted to add the Stage 1 air filter but the mechanic at the dealer told me that it is not necessary unless I plan to also replace my exhaust with a Stage 1 Slip-on exhaust. Can anyone tell me if that is correct ? Also I notice that Indian does not sell Stage 1 slip-on exhaust for my 2018 Scout Bobber . Any suggestions on where I can upgrade my exhaust?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Indian has Stage 1 slip-ons for the 2018 Scout Bobber. The Indian website doesn't show them as compatible for whatever reason, but they are.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not true at all. Dealer might be referring to the myth that an intake isn't going to increase flow and power unless you're freeing up the exhaust as well, but for these motors in particular that couldn't be further from the truth. Intake and tune is the best upgrade you can make of you're looking for power. On the other hand, they may be trying to sell you on the full stage 1 package, for which they need to pair intake and exhaust to the tune.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,462 Posts
Stock exhaust are pretty restrictive. A higher flowing air box/intake exhaust and a tune to maximize Those components is the way to go. I really don’t know how much just Improvement the air box or intake (as it’s also called ) Will do for you. Moving more air/fuel in ...and out is what most everyone does. A lot of good slipon Mufflers out there. The OEM intake/mufflers/program gives a good low/mid range pull but Restrictive to higher RPM. IMO any performance intake/air box Along w/4” Khrome Werks mufflers w/touring inserts and a modified tune from Fuel Moto has many benefits, although a more open muffler may give a higher flow/hp (along with Increased noise). Seems these Khrome Werks W/touring inserts retain enough reversion to keep the lower RPM very strong. ...Yes I know the Scout motors like to spin being short stroke/larger bore. I had more open exhaust. A little too loud, and it lost some of the harder lower RPM Pull. Fuel Moto modified their program to help. After changing over to the Khrome Werks mufflers with Performance inserts -not much change.The touring inserts Along with Fuel Motos changes makes for the best of both worlds. I don’t ride a WOT all the time -so I’m very satisfied w/results. Low rumble from exhaust is pleasing, louder than OEM or Stage 1Indian. Bikes runs like a Banshee.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not a Bobber, but my dealer installed the performance intake with the flash and without stage 1 exhaust on my 2019 Scout ABS, therefore, I think your dealer may be misinformed or malinformed.

·
Rider
713 Posts
The key is getting a tune. You could get a tune with no mods and it would be better then an intake with with no tune. Obviously air filter with exhaust and tune to tie it all together is best but non the less the tune is where it’s at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a Bobber, but my dealer installed the performance intake with the flash and without stage 1 exhaust on my 2019 Scout ABS, therefore, I think your dealer may be misinformed or malinformed.
Thanks for the information. Do you notice the difference on the bike ? Do u you oh think it is worth it ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the information. Do you notice the difference on the bike ? Do u you oh think it is worth it ?
Hard to say. You can definitely hear the intake more, but if it’s been additive to performance, it’s too subtle for me to notice at least. Maybe will be different when I replace the stock pipes soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts