Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like all I do is ask questions but still new to this game. Today after a 2 hour ride I noticed a rear end noise as I coasted into my garage. Closer inspection determined the drive belt is squeaking. I ride a 2016 Chieftain with 5000Kms or 3000mi on it. Any similar issues or cures?

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Oh boy. Yes there has been a mention it two on this subject. I ended up trading my 2014 Chieftain in for a 2017 Chieftain in large part because I was never able to get the drive belt chirping problem straightened out to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Were you riding on any dirt or gravel roads? I live on a gravel road, the white dusty crushed limestone type. I usually only ride 1.5 mi to my house at about 40 mph but the other day I took the back way home, 3.5 miles on gravel at 70mph. I noticed something squeaking in the back end, wondered if wheel bearings were bad. But had also read somewhere that dust can make the belt squeak. Rode it to the car wash, washed it, no more squeaking.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I take plain old bar soap and rub it on the side if the belt. (The kind you get a hotels work perfect)

·
Super Moderator
4,752 Posts
Seems like all I do is ask questions but still new to this game. Today after a 2 hour ride I noticed a rear end noise as I coasted into my garage. Closer inspection determined the drive belt is squeaking. I ride a 2016 Chieftain with 5000Kms or 3000mi on it. Any similar issues or cures?
No problem asking questions. You can use the search bar toward to top right of the page or look at the very bottom of the page here for "similar threads" for lots of info!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did it once last year with ivory soap and a 4 inch long fingernail brush, scrubbing all the teeth, rolling the bike about 2 inches at a time and spritzing it with a water spray . Worked for the whole rest of season last year. Just doing the edges won't work. Came back this year. I had the tech do it, while on a service call. What I did seems to work better than anything, I'm just too god damn tired and lazy to do it myself. I'm working too hard........

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Mine has been doing it for a while now. I even had a shop check it out and no joy. Maybe I'll try the soap trick.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,351 Posts
2 real solutions to the squeeky belt problem.

1: find a dealer that knows what they're doing and have them adjust it properly. Note: Most dealers can't do it right.

2: have the pulley replaced, under warranty.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Here is how you guys can check your own belt tension and adjustment.
The belt must be room temp. The belt will be tighter after a ride.

When the belt is completely cool, support the bike and raise the rear wheel off the ground. Check the belt tightness. Loosen the rear axle nut and always turn the axle adjusters out, or in, to loosen and/or tighten the belt. Give the rear tire a kick Straight forward to make sure the axle and adjusters are forward as much as possible. Tighten the axle nut.
HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART!......Check your belt tension AGAIN now that the axle is tight. Most likely the belt will be tighter or more loose with the axle nut tight. Loosen the axle nut and readjust so the belt will be the correct tightness after the axle nut is retightened.
NOTE: Don't worry too much about not having a belt tension gauge. Use you finger and think about 10 lbs of force. You will be closer than you think.

REPEAT AS NECESSARY.

NOW.....With the axle nut tight, roll the rear tire forward until the belt has rotated completely 2-3 times. Note which side of the pulley the belt is riding on. You want the belt to ride in the center of the pulley. It may only show a small amount (1/32") on each side, so get close enough to see it. At this point, only use the left side adjuster to align the belt. (Or opposite side of the belt and pulley in the case of the Scout.)
REMEMBER to loosen the axle nut before making an adjustment!.
Give the tire a kick to tighten it on the axle and adjusters again, then tighten the axle nut. Roll the tire forward again as described earlier. Repeat as necessary until the belt continues to track in the center when rolling forward AND backwards.

RECHECK YOUR BELT TENSION AT THIS POINT TOO. Torque the axle nut when you are done.

The key is to repeat and recheck.

THE CHECKS ARE NO GOOD UNLESS THE AXLE IS TIGHT FIRST!

It most likely isn't going to be right the first time, so check and readjust until you get it right. You have to check the belt tension and alignment with the rear wheel off the ground, and the axle nut tight

Many mechanics will not take the appropriate time to do it correctly, and many will check it without tightening the axle nut first. Print this off and give it to your mechanic if you aren't doing it yourself. Someone needs to be able to do it correctly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Belt tension...LOL

Try bad bearings in the cush drive that got replaced last year.
But no...then the belt which was bad, got replaced this year.

Finally no squeak!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine only squeaks if there is condensation on the pulleys but as soon as the belt warms up and dries out the noise disappears.
Mine did this and then eventually it gets worse. I had my cush drive bearings and belt replaced under warranty.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Sqeek, clack, rattle, loud pipes, crank stereo, ride her hard, sleep soundly at night and repeat. If I want perfection I'll ride my BMW.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sqeek, clack, rattle, loud pipes, crank stereo, ride her hard, sleep soundly at night and repeat. If I want perfection I'll ride my BMW.
My squeak was so loud last year from the cush drive...pipes and stereo would not help much. I wouldn't ride the bike it was so loud.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is how you guys can check your own belt tension and adjustment.
The belt must be room temp. The belt will be tighter after a ride.

When the belt is completely cool, support the bike and raise the rear wheel off the ground. Check the belt tightness. Loosen the rear axle nut and always turn the axle adjusters out, or in, to loosen and/or tighten the belt. Give the rear tire a kick Straight forward to make sure the axle and adjusters are forward as much as possible. Tighten the axle nut.
HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART!......Check your belt tension AGAIN now that the axle is tight. Most likely the belt will be tighter or more loose with the axle nut tight. Loosen the axle nut and readjust so the belt will be the correct tightness after the axle nut is retightened.
NOTE: Don't worry too much about not having a belt tension gauge. Use you finger and think about 10 lbs of force. You will be closer than you think.

REPEAT AS NECESSARY.

NOW.....With the axle nut tight, roll the rear tire forward until the belt has rotated completely 2-3 times. Note which side of the pulley the belt is riding on. You want the belt to ride in the center of the pulley. It may only show a small amount (1/32") on each side, so get close enough to see it. At this point, only use the left side adjuster to align the belt. (Or opposite side of the belt and pulley in the case of the Scout.)
REMEMBER to loosen the axle nut before making an adjustment!.
Give the tire a kick to tighten it on the axle and adjusters again, then tighten the axle nut. Roll the tire forward again as described earlier. Repeat as necessary until the belt continues to track in the center when rolling forward AND backwards.

RECHECK YOUR BELT TENSION AT THIS POINT TOO. Torque the axle nut when you are done.

The key is to repeat and recheck.

THE CHECKS ARE NO GOOD UNLESS THE AXLE IS TIGHT FIRST!

It most likely isn't going to be right the first time, so check and readjust until you get it right. You have to check the belt tension and alignment with the rear wheel off the ground, and the axle nut tight

Many mechanics will not take the appropriate time to do it correctly, and many will check it without tightening the axle nut first. Print this off and give it to your mechanic if you aren't doing it yourself. Someone needs to be able to do it correctly.

Thx...great write up. Worked perfectly after the second adjustment. No more chirp...now I can enjoy the clack in peace!

·
Rider
612 Posts
2 real solutions to the squeeky belt problem.

1: find a dealer that knows what they're doing and have them adjust it properly. Note: Most dealers can't do it right.

2: have the pulley replaced, under warranty.
Good luck with that. Had no problems with belt noise. Took bike in for 10k service and now I have belt noise. It would have been better if they left it alone.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts