Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok exactly a week ago I took my 2016 Scout60 to get oil changed and 5000 mile/1 yr checkup. The next day there was a slight hesitation when I pushed the starter. I rode about 5 miles. It happened a second time when I got on to come home. I went back to Indian since it had just been there but I turned it off in the parking lot and it started right up, I drove home. Rode about 20 miles two days later. Then Tuesday I went riding with some friends and it did the slight hesitation, about 10 miles into the ride it started sputtering, the engine light came on and it died. I called Indian they came and got it and they are telling me nothing is wrong. If not why did this happen? Has anyone experienced something like this? It was perfect before the oil change coincidentally

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is the battery, (MAYBE). Have them check all connections. Does it have a new free replacement starter ? 2016 Scout Sixty's are known for bad starters. Ask them. God bless. Jayimpalaman

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
One more reason to do your own service work INCLUDING the first one. Just keep your receipts. Polaris saying that they have to do the first is BS. The first oil change/service is supposed to include a compression check. Usually this is skipped by the dealer anyway. In your case they may have attempted to do so and probably unplugged a part of the harness for access, did not plug back in all the way ( tank has to come off). Maybe a spark plug cap left loose. Maybe a loose battery cable. Do your own .The experienced mechanics are usually busy repairing technical stuff, fixing engines,trans,electrical, etc. Oil changes and service work is usually done a some part time or up coming mechanic wanna bee. Learning on YOUR bike. Ever go to a bike dealership and see the mechanic certification plaques on the wall ? Care to guess if any or all of them still work there ? A good tech gets top dollar or goes where he will. Doing warranty work and oil changes don’t pay enough especially if he works on commission.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The hesitation with the starter sounds like the old starter problem that the early bikes had.

But the spluttering as you ride sounds more like bad fuel. Did you refill not long before the problems? If so, go elsewhere and top it up with highest octane you can get to flush the system.

The dealer should have been able to pull codes from the ECM but some of them only point to a momentary issue like a hesitation/splutter that it interprets as a bad timing fault from the knock sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more reason to do your own service work INCLUDING the first one. Just keep your receipts. Polaris saying that they have to do the first is BS. The first oil change/service is supposed to include a compression check. Usually this is skipped by the dealer anyway. In your case they may have attempted to do so and probably unplugged a part of the harness for access, did not plug back in all the way ( tank has to come off). Maybe a spark plug cap left loose. Maybe a loose battery cable. Do your own .The experienced mechanics are usually busy repairing technical stuff, fixing engines,trans,electrical, etc. Oil changes and service work is usually done a some part time or up coming mechanic wanna bee. Learning on YOUR bike. Ever go to a bike dealership and see the mechanic certification plaques on the wall ? Care to guess if any or all of them still work there ? A good tech gets top dollar or goes where he will. Doing warranty work and oil changes don’t pay enough especially if he works on commission.
I would but I lost all my tools in my divorce and I'm at a stage in life where no longer do my own on my cars either
Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
Sounds a bit like a fuel delivery issue.
Low fuel or contaminated fuel,.....so in any case fill the tank with good fuel and may I recommend that you add a proper amout of Berrymans B12 fuel additive/cleaner.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starter is getting worse although dealer says it wasn't an issue when they had it. But I rode it hard for three days to blow any crap out of the lines. I always use the best octane Mobil sells. I'm thinking some dirt got into the gas lines. Two fillups and 300 miles and it seems fine now. Thank you everyone for your help

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
Starter is getting worse although dealer says it wasn't an issue when they had it. But I rode it hard for three days to blow any crap out of the lines. I always use the best octane Mobil sells. I'm thinking some dirt got into the gas lines. Two fillups and 300 miles and it seems fine now. Thank you everyone for your help
You are welcome

1 - 10 of 10 Posts