Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What OEM windshield do you have? How tall are you? And has any of them NOT been up to snuff? I had a bad experience with the Indian shorty on the Scout. As I research to build my Springfield, I like the look of the short shield, and I am only 5’3”. - thanks in advance!

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
969 Posts
I have the stock windshield on my Springfield. It blocks wind okay at lower speeds, but above 50ish MPH, I get severe helmet buffeting. From what I have read, it seems to be a common problem with the Springfield. It isn’t the height of the windshield, but wind coming under the shield and up beside the tank that causes the turbulence.

It was bad enough that I had to remove my windshield to be able to ride at speed. I recently purchased some lowers to solve the buffeting problem.

I’m 6’3”,

Reactions: iamandrewx

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I began with an Indian "medium" windshield but wasn't totally happy with it--I wound up looking through it rather than over it. At 5'3" if you want to look over the shield you're going to need a short one. I went with a Freedom 14" and it was just about perfect for me, but I'm 5'9".

Most third party replacement windshields come with no hardware so you have to reuse the Indian hardware from your original. That being said, my Freedom was about $160, so it is a LOT cheaper than the Indian model.

Reactions: LH Rizzi

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
Since the 2019 Springfields don't come with a windshield we are designing a new windshield frame for the SF. We currently make them for the Scout and the Chiefs. Here is a photo of the Chief frame. www.IndianAftermarket.com Indian won't sell the frame without the OEM shield. This will allow you to buy the shield of your choice such as the Freedom Shield which is flipped up at the top.
IMG_0251.JPG

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Since the 2019 Springfields don't come with a windshield we are designing a new windshield frame for the SF. We currently make them for the Scout and the Chiefs. Here is a photo of the Chief frame. www.IndianAftermarket.com Indian won't sell the frame without the OEM shield. This will allow you to buy the shield of your choice such as the Freedom Shield which is flipped up at the top. View attachment 429542
Considering the Indian frame and shield is about $600, this lets you save a lot of $ over buying the Indian shield just to get the bracket.

·
Bronze member
2,251 Posts
Welll ... Indian already seems to have reacted:
14" Quick Release Flare Windshield - Tinted | Indian Motorcycle (Springfield version)

14", curved/flared at the top, and extended and flared lower part, lightly(!) tinted ... with bracketry!

I was riding my Classic with the 16" windshield for about 32k miles ... edge of the shield just under eye level (I hate looking through) ... quite some buffeting! (I am 5.10)
And since the Indian bracketry started to become "loose" at the locking tabs ( I assume the permanent wind load bends things by time) and aftermarket shields only come without brackets I was looking at those complete newer Indian shields...

Just today I put the Classic equivalent of the 14" curved/flared windshield on.
(14" Quick Release Flare Windshield - Tinted | Indian Motorcycle)
Despite having a nice line of sight above the shield now ... buffeting significantly reduced (today tested just up to 75mph)! Keeper! (seems to be made by Klockwerks btw ...)
2882220.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since the 2019 Springfields don't come with a windshield

You mean the Springfield “Dark Horse” doesn’t. It doesn’t come with a lot of things the Springfield comes standard with..... Rear passenger seat, passenger floorboards, windshield. And I dont think crash bars come on the Dark Horse now either.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
You mean the Springfield “Dark Horse” doesn’t. It doesn’t come with a lot of things the Springfield comes standard with..... Rear passenger seat, passenger floorboards, windshield. And I dont think crash bars come on the Dark Horse now either.
Once again, the tactic of taking off parts on a new model that used to be included, then happily selling them back to you at high prices. They first started this game in 2016, and it must be working for them.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once again, the tactic of taking off parts on a new model that used to be included, then happily selling them back to you at high prices. They first started this game in 2016, and it must be working for them.
Yeah, I am noticing this as I do my research. The best bang for the buck is a 2019 regular. black Springfield which is listed at a local dealer for $21,000. It already has all the things that were removed from the dark horse models. Add them back on and the price exceeds $24k.

·
Rider
760 Posts
Yeah, I am noticing this as I do my research. The best bang for the buck is a 2019 regular. black Springfield which is listed at a local dealer for $21,000. It already has all the things that were removed from the dark horse models. Add them back on and the price exceeds $24k.
That approach looks like best value for 2019.
I have the standard screen and Freedom lowers (went onto OEM hardware).
This setup works really well for me at 5’8”
The Indian lowers were also fine, I just preferred the look of Freedom.
Lowers fixed any bad buffeting that I had.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just made a 3500 mile round trip from NV to ND and back again. I had no problems with my stock ('16 Springfield) windshield, in fact, it kept around 100B bugs out of my eyes and face! I'm around 5'9". There was no real buffeting, so I must be in the sweet spot for that!

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
969 Posts
I just made a 3500 mile round trip from NV to ND and back again. I had no problems with my stock ('16 Springfield) windshield, in fact, it kept around 100B bugs out of my eyes and face! I'm around 5'9". There was no real buffeting, so I must be in the sweet spot for that!
I think the sweet spot in height for most bikes is 5’9”. At 6’3”, my knees are above the tank, and I sit on the back of my seat. The first thing I did was roll the handle bars up to get further away. My next purchase will probably be an Ultimate tallboy seat to give me more room. I’m contemplating replacing my floorboards with pegs to lower my legs a bit.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I removed the stock 15 inch windscreen from my Springfield and replaced it with a 12 inch factory shield purchased from another forum member. At 5”10 I did not like looking through the stock windscreen. I really couldn’t tell the difference regarding wind between the two but the field of vision greatly improved.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I learned this lesson the hard way. I bought a 2016 Classic and by the time I added windshield, saddle bags, gas gauge, and a whole bunch of other stuff included on other models, I could have purchased a Vintage with money left over. I'd do things differently now.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
My 2018 Springfield DH came with the stock windshield. I got more buffeting than I wanted, but not as much as I used to get when I had the 2016 Scout with all windshield. I put on JES Customs lowers and the buffeting reduced to negligible.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have a 2018 SFDH. I’m 6-7 and have the stock windshield. I have an extended reach seat that lifts me up about 2” and back about 2”. I did a 3-day, 1300 mile trip back in June. Speeds were 75-85mph, didn’t notice a lot of wind issues. I guess I’m used to it. I ride with a full face Shoei rf1200.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
969 Posts
I have a 2018 SFDH. I’m 6-7 and have the stock windshield. I have an extended reach seat that lifts me up about 2” and back about 2”. I did a 3-day, 1300 mile trip back in June. Speeds were 75-85mph, didn’t notice a lot of wind issues. I guess I’m used to it. I ride with a full face Shoei rf1200.
Lurch,

Maybe you are above the turbulence. It isn’t normal wind. I’m much better off with no windshield than with it on and without lowers. I have a full face helmet and my head was shaking so violently, it blurred my vision. The lowers be delivered this week and see how it helps.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts