Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about replacing the windshield on my 2017 Springfield. I bought the bike used, but I think the windshield on it is standard OEM. At 5'8", I was able to just see over it until I installed 2" lowering links, now I'm always looking through the shield. It measures 14" from the center of the headlight cutout to the top of the shield. The Indian web site says they have a tall windshield at 21" that is three inches taller than standard, and the have a short one at 16" that is three inches shorter than standard. So first of all, their measurments are inconsistent with themselves because 5 does not equal 6. Secondly, my standard shield measures 14", so how could it be three inches longer than their 16" shield, since 14 - 3 equals 11, not 16. So I thought they must be measuring their windshields differently than everyone else, but they don't explain anywhere on their web site how they do them. Since they are charging $619 for replacement plastic, I think they should get it right. Anyone know how Indian measures or if there are any replacements that aren't crazy-priced?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
People have noted this discrepancy about screen measurement on earlier threads and it's always been confusing.

My shield measures 15 inches from the top of the cutout to the top of the screen. However, it's 16 1/2 inches from the top of the headlight nacelle. It might be that Indian measures it from there with 16 1/2 as the standard height, but they don't worry about that half inch when they describe the tall or short shields.

If yours is only 14 inches from cutout to top, perhaps the previous owner cut it down.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would not consider buying a replacement shield from Indian. I have a 2017 Springfield and I am on my second factory shield after the first was replaced under warranty, due to stress cracking at the bolt points for the brackets that attach to the shield.
My replacement shield has developed these same cracks as well. Since my bike is now out of warranty,I will purchase another shield from an aftermarket supplier. No great urgency though, since I am only riding locally right now. I might be more concerned about the cracks expanding if were going on a thousand mile trip.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People have noted this discrepancy about screen measurement on earlier threads and it's always been confusing.

My shield measures 15 inches from the top of the cutout to the top of the screen. However, it's 16 1/2 inches from the top of the headlight nacelle. It might be that Indian measures it from there with 16 1/2 as the standard height, but they don't worry about that half inch when they describe the tall or short shields.

If yours is only 14 inches from cutout to top, perhaps the previous owner cut it down.
I don't think he cut it down. Is it possible Indian has changed the specs or was using some shields from a different model?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Check out Freedom Shields. I have read a lot of good reviews. Uses your existing hardware and saves you $$. I ordered one this week for my SDH. I had a question, left a message on their voice mail and had a call back in about 90 minutes. They are running about 3-4 weeks till shipping due to COVID-19.

·
Rider
1,263 Posts
I have purchased 2 Freedom Shields. Great quality and super service. Call and talk to John. You won’t be disappointed. You can try the Freedom shield, and if you need a different height, you can return it as long as you don’t remove the protective film on it. OEM shields are priced beyond ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Another vote for Freedom. Better quality than OEM, IMO, and a great value. I replaced my original Vintage windshield with one that allowed me to look over it and it was a major improvement.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I don't think he cut it down. Is it possible Indian has changed the specs or was using some shields from a different model?
It's possible that they changed their specs with different year models, or even that the standard screen varies between the Chief and the Springfield. But I can't see any advantage in that as it means more complications for parts inventory where using the same part between models is always an advantage.

One day we'll have enough bikes of different year models in one spot and we can measure them all. Then again, perhaps we'll all just go have a beer instead. :)

The advice about Freedom Shields above shows their popularity. I was considering one but there is a problem with the size of them for the Springfield when it comes to shipping to Australia. The size puts them in a high cost category that makes it too expensive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know the motorcycle business, but the paradigm seems to be that if customers are stupid enough to buy our products, we're going to screw them for every penny we can on accessories. Which opens the door for aftermarket. OK, I understand greed. But does it have to be that way? If Indian and their dealers fixed a reasonable price on their accessories, would they have to be so expensive? And why would we need aftermarket at all?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I don't know the motorcycle business, but the paradigm seems to be that if customers are stupid enough to buy our products, we're going to screw them for every penny we can on accessories. Which opens the door for aftermarket. OK, I understand greed. But does it have to be that way? If Indian and their dealers fixed a reasonable price on their accessories, would they have to be so expensive? And why would we need aftermarket at all?
I agree to a certain extant - there's always room to customize a bike so a varied aftermarket is needed.

The accessory demand is illustrated by the Springfield Dark Horse. I bought my 2018 model as soon as they appeared. Buy one today and the windshield is no longer standard, nor are highway bars, you have to buy them as extras. And the problem of aftermarket windshields is that most of them do not come with mounting hardware, for that you need an OEM shield.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I also recommend Freedom windshields. In fact they sell one that has the recurve at the top and it’s wider and goes lower past the headlight than Indian windshields. They sell them in different tints and can even order one with a vent in the middle like a Goldwing.

What’s even better is if you mount it and leave the protective film on it you can return it if you don’t like it.

Freedom’s measurements are from the center mounting screw to the top of the windshield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was looking online, bugs me I have to spend so much $$ basically for the brackets and mount. I want the black brackets but it only comes in the 11." or 16". I think at 16" it will be too high and I've read the 11.3" doesn't really provide much wind protection and is more for looks, they have the 14" but the brackets are chrome so it costs more and I'd have to pay more to get them powder coated...goodness me lol. I scooped up a 12" Freedom shield from a forum member already...I'm trying to stall buying new...but brackets rarely pop up used and even then with the exchange and shipping (I'm in Canada) it comes close to new. Long story, short...yep...i'm confused as heck lol Still love my SFDH tho :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I was looking online, bugs me I have to spend so much $$ basically for the brackets and mount. I want the black brackets but it only comes in the 11." or 16". I think at 16" it will be too high and I've read the 11.3" doesn't really provide much wind protection and is more for looks, they have the 14" but the brackets are chrome so it costs more and I'd have to pay more to get them powder coated...goodness me lol. I scooped up a 12" Freedom shield from a forum member already...I'm trying to stall buying new...but brackets rarely pop up used and even then with the exchange and shipping (I'm in Canada) it comes close to new. Long story, short...yep...i'm confused as heck lol Still love my SFDH tho :)
I remember when I used to ride a Springfield and brackets were a hot commodity. As you probably already know that’s because everybody keeps the brackets and they just swap out the shield.

If you are looking at the freedom windshield Website even though they only have them at certain heights you can custom order one to any height you want but the catch is it’s not returnable if you don’t like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a new Indian factory 3” lower than stock windshield for sale at $400 ( $200 less than retail) plus shipping. I am 5’10”, and it’s perfect for me. I bought the lower shield from member here. Then when my original factory shield cracked for a second time, I asked if the factory replacement could be the lower shield and that’s what they sent me. I haven’t had a problem with the 3” lower shield cracking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A little late to the conversation,but good choice Drsteve. I have a 2019 Springfield it had a 16" stock windshield I'm 5'8" couldn't see over it so I put a 12" freedom shield on and couldn't be happier. I can see over it and better wind deflection than the 16" stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As has already been said - Freedom shield is the way to go, have the 14 and it provides better protection than the OEM 16 that came with it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts