Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched around our model forum and am not seeing any tire recommendation threads here.
(There are plenty on other models, like Roadmaster Roadmaster Tire Replacement )

I have 10,000 miles on my E3 and am looking for replacement before next summer
I wanted Commander IIs. Had on my Scout, loved them, some of the best.
However I am not seeing a replacement for the rear tire with the Commander IIs for our

Springfield Tires - Stock
Front Tire - Dunlop Elite 3– 130/90B16 - 46 PSI
Rear Tire - Dunlop Elite 3 – 180/60R16 - 41 PSI

Commander IIs
Match on front - Michelin Commander II MT90-B16 Front tire
Rear? - closest would be 180/65-16 - NO 60R :(
dont see a rear size that matched......60R vs 65R difference....dang it

Other options would be:
Dunlop E4 - not crazy about these, better for a Goldwing, opinions will differ, hard compound in middle, softer rubber on sides
Metzlers - great tires, had ME 880 on my old HD, ME 888 - good generalist tire, said to be good in wet
Pirelli Night Dragon Tires - aggressive riding, good grip, sticky
Metzler - good generalist tire, said to be good in wet

I am interested in what you replaced with or planning on using...

Not interested in some great detailed scientific technical discussion on the tire compounds, etc, just looking for what tires you are seeing for a replacement for our machines....

Thanks! Dan

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
What is your riding style? Match tire specs to your predominant use. There are a few trade-offs traction vs wear life.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If there's room, the 65 on the rear would correct the speedo error. Problem is we're supposed to run 46psi in the front. This was tested and approved with 1 tire only. It could become a liability issue if something happens. Personally I think it's BS they didn't fix the bike instead of tossing a bandaid on it. It's a design flaw, should've been fixed the right way.

Mike

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Go with the Michelin Commander IIs, that is the correct sizes for the Commander IIs on our Bikes, the very slight larger rear tire will correct your Speedometer reading plus great handling in all riding conditions.

On my second pair and nearly 50,000 miles on my Indian.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,174 Posts
I will second the Commander 2s. The slightly bigger diameter on the rear tire helps the speedo error and the handling is great! Noticed a big handling difference when the pavement is wet also. Dean

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is your riding style? Match tire specs to your predominant use. There are a few trade-offs traction vs wear life.
I live in Colorado, lots of great big sweeping roads and lots of mountain twisting up and down.
Probably the Pirelli Night Dragon, but again, there is no tire size that fits the rear tire
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/night-dragon#/size-range

Go with the Michelin Commander IIs, that is the correct sizes for the Commander IIs on our Bikes, the very slight larger rear tire will correct your Speedometer reading plus great handling in all riding conditions.

On my second pair and nearly 50,000 miles on my Indian.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
I hear you saying the 180/65-16 can be a replacement for the Dunlap 180/60R16
On your Chieftain

I will second the Commander 2s. The slightly bigger diameter on the rear tire helps the speedo error and the handling is great! Noticed a big handling difference when the pavement is wet also. Dean
Ditto for Dean on his Roadmaster

Michelin Commander ll should work fine on the rear, even if slightly bigger.
And TigerGA also - looks like you ride a Chieftain

Well, that is advice from 3 trusted members. Geometry for Springfield is closet to the Chieftain....seems like it might work, the 65

Thanks! Dan

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went to Commander II's when I needed replacements. I did not notice much difference between the stock Dunlops and the Michelins wet or dry when comparing both tires after they were broken in after a few thousand miles. I do like their tires and will probably stick with Michelins when the time comes again. My dealer stocks the Michelins as well so that was a bonus.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dan,

Just saw your most recent message. I live in Northern NM and the riding is likely very similar to what you have. Our roads here in Northern NM and Southern CO are as you described. Like I said, the tires seem to work well and we ride aggressively through the mountain roads.

- Tim

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan,

Just saw your most recent message. I live in Northern NM and the riding is likely very similar to what you have. Our roads here in Northern NM and Southern CO are as you described. Like I said, the tires seem to work well and we ride aggressively through the mountain roads.

- Tim
Thanks Boondocker. Looks like you ride the Chieftain and that Michelin Commander II 180/65B16 Rear Tire will work.

Based on other tire threads, and my personal experience with putting them on my Scout, the Commander II is the preferred tire for our Indians

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
I live in Colorado, lots of great big sweeping roads and lots of mountain twisting up and down.
Probably the Pirelli Night Dragon, but again, there is no tire size that fits the rear tire
Pirelli Tyres: find the best tyre for your car and SUV

I hear you saying the 180/65-16 can be a replacement for the Dunlap 180/60R16
On your Chieftain

Ditto for Dean on his Roadmaster

And TigerGA also - looks like you ride a Chieftain

Well, that is advice from 3 trusted members. Geometry for Springfield is closet to the Chieftain....seems like it might work, the 65

Thanks! Dan
Ha ha...3 trusted sources. BTW, I have a RM and plan on Commander 2s from my next tires. My IM dealer also stocks them, so I'm sure sure they'll fit fine or they wouldn't carry them. An aspect ratio difference of 05 isn't enough to make a difference, IMO.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just curious as to how many miles you all are getting on the stock tires? I've got about 21,000 on mine and going in Wednesday for new Commander II's as I have had them before on other bikes and loved them. Any word on how many miles on the Commander II's?

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Good to bring this up. I am getting close to life on my rear tire which is the stock tie with about 12k miles. I suspect I'll never get more than about 14k out of the American Elites, I really like the white walls but I can get a set of Commander IIs for about the same price and go further. I am just disappointed I can't get a top tier tire with a white wall.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts