Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chieftain Rider who originally had Vintatage, loved the Vintage but wanted hard locking bags and a few other goodies the Chieftian offered, so I made the switch. Love the way the Chieftian handles but miss the look of my Vintage etc.
As we all know, the Springfield offers a blend of the other two bikes.

I am seriously considering turning in my Chieftian for a Springfield, here's my question.
I've heard/read reviews that the Springfield rides even better than the other bikes, however, I've also heard the new handle bars are not as comfortable and don't handle as well as the other bikes...? I am especially wondering how it handles at slow speeds ans tight turns...?
Your comments and thoughts are appreciated....

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Bike handles fine. For me the bars are perfect for low speed maneuvering. Take a test ride and see for yourself. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm not noticing any problems with the design of my bars. I am 6'1" and rolled my bars up and away a little, sort of like mini apes. Bike seems very stable in the first few feet as you take off.

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im like 75% sure i am going to do it but dealer and me are a bit to far apart on what hes offering me for bike....
Unless, he forgot to offer the $1500 trade in for my chieftain?!

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to ask, How the stock seat on the Arse, especially after riding for a while ?? On my Vintage it was fine, on the Chieftian didnt like stock seat and changed to RM heated seat...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Forgot to ask, How the stock seat on the Arse, especially after riding for a while ?? On my Vintage it was fine, on the Chieftian didnt like stock seat and changed to RM heated seat...
I haven't spent any real time with any of the seats but I would say keep the heated seat as it might be an eventual upgrade in the future anyway.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am seriously considering turning in my Chieftian for a Springfield, here's my question.
I've heard/read reviews that the Springfield rides even better than the other bikes, however, I've also heard the new handle bars are not as comfortable and don't handle as well as the other bikes...? I am especially wondering how it handles at slow speeds ans tight turns...?
Earman67, make the leap! The Springfield has a special spirit to share with its rider. You will find this out if you get the opportunity to ride one. To me, it certainly sounds like one is beckoning you.

I am only a novice rider, so my opinion might be of limited value. The Scout was my original ride. IMO, the Springfield is less frisky than a Scout but on the other hand it is more stable, lots more comfortable, and simply oozes power. IMO it handles tight turns as well as the Scout did - it has good ground clearance and with its low center of gravity you can put a lot of lean into it before scrapping the floorboards. No problem with handling slow speeds. Simply avoid fully locking the bars and look at where you want to go (meaning do not look at the ground when making tight turns at slow speeds - something I learned the hard way on more than one occasion with my Scout).

IMO the handlebars are very comfortable and allow for a relaxed riding position for someone with a 6'1" frame. It might be different for others depending on one's height.

If you open you heart, you will be riding a Springfield soon. It's simply that kind of bike.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Being only about 5 5, I opted for the reduce reach seat and a set of Vic's Bagger lowering links and am enjoying the heck outta her, came off a Scout that only had for about 4-5 months and a HD 44 years and , best as folks say, road test one, to each their own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wife and I found the stock seat uncomfortable after about 20 minutes. Went with the RM heated seat and find it very comfortable for a full tank of gas. I think it looks much better also. I'm 5' 10" and find the bars perfect. Best big bike ever for low speed maneuvers. Love everything about this great touring machine.

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I finally took the plunge sold my chieftain to the dealer dropping it off tomorrow at the dealership so he has time to remove which add up to thousands onto the new Springfield including my roadmaster see that I added to my vintage which I will have them put on the new Springfield. Can you please post a few pictures of your bike I wanted the black look to see what a real mess to see it looks like on the Springfield thanks PS I'm 510 200 pounds so I hope I find a ride as comfy as you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Chieftain Rider who originally had Vintatage, loved the Vintage but wanted hard locking bags and a few other goodies the Chieftian offered, so I made the switch. Love the way the Chieftian handles but miss the look of my Vintage etc.
As we all know, the Springfield offers a blend of the other two bikes.

Your comments and thoughts are appreciated....
Earman, I may be late to this post. But here you go.. Not to repeat myself but I am coming off a Triumph Tiger 955 that I rode for 10 years. I think the reason I went with the Springfield is because of the ergonomic. I am use to Sport Touring nimble bike. This bike is the closest I have come to that with a cruiser. I have shared my opinion in other forums here. I just don't want to repeat myself. I am 5'8" at 200 lbs give or take. so is is very roomy for me and so much more comfortable. here some stats.

Good luck with your choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I rode a Roadmaster 2015 and changed to a Springfiled in 2016, handles much more easier, and I found the wind and weather protection of the roadmaster too strong.

I prefer the Springfield.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Just took a test ride on springfield Saturday did not like the bars stuck in some traffic and arms stated to ache. I'm 6'4" long arms suprised the heck out of me. My rm was more comfortable on the bars road a vintage and didn't get that ache either

·
Registered
839 Posts
I rolled my bars up and away a bit. Looks sorta like mini apes now. Pretty comfortable for me, I'm 6' 1" for reference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Besides the gear indicator/start up issue, how are you liking the Springfield? Comparisons b/w the Chieftain, Vintage, and Springfield?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts