Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Which Indian Touring Bike Would You Want

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Springfield owner and love it, but have always known my journey will eventually lead to a Touring bike. I'm kewl with the full wind and bare bones (no dash, radio, etc.) for now but the couch is coming.

At first I really, really didn't like the looks of the Chieftain/Roadmaster, but it has really grown on me. Now if Indian were to give me a Touring bike, I would have a tough time deciding.

Just curious what other Springield owners currently like.

·
Registered
2021 Springfield 111
178 Posts
I had my choice of Indians Baggers & Touring when I bought my Springfield and I still went with the Springfield. I just don't like the big fairing bikes. I might change my mind if I rode 2 up all the time, but I don't, so I'll keep my Springfield. If I was forced to chose, I'd say Roadmaster, and I'd remove the trunk, and change out the seat.

·
Rider
1,017 Posts
I can understand wanting to upgrade to the fairing bike, but that is not for me. I bought the SF because that is my style and I go for less is more. I don't want a fairing, tunes, or ride command. I just want to enjoy the ride.

If I was to upgrade, it would be the RM because of the style and TS111. The Challenger just doesn't appeal to me.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can understand wanting to upgrade to the fairing bike, but that is not for me. I bought the SF because that is my style and I go for less is more. I don't want a fairing, tunes, or ride command. I just want to enjoy the ride.

If I was to upgrade, it would be the RM because of the style and TS111. The Challenger just doesn't appeal to me.

Good luck with whichever you choose.
I feel the same today, and love my SDH. I just know that someday I will have a touring bike. Could be many years. Just curious on the style of each....both a really nice to me.

·
Silver member
5,249 Posts
My Springfield tours just fine. I don't want all that junk on my front end. The Springfield loaded works just fine. Here's mine on my 4303 mile 9 day journey. Performed like a champion!
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I would put a fairing upper and lowers on my Springfield. Love this bike. Don't need all the extra electronics
This is true! If you like your Springfield there's options. You can do a fairing, soft or hard lowers. Add the seat and several trunk options. Make it how you want. But, if you want the Power plus you'll have to go Pursuit. Myself, I'm a Roadmaster kind of guy.

·
Bronze member
'19 SF - Metallic Jade & Thunder Black
1,359 Posts
Asking a group of owners of a specific model to choose another model has an inherent negativity to it (yet, not intended). It's like subconsciously asking them to admit making a mistake in their Springfield choice.

I think if you asked a lot of Scout owners which bagger (Vintage or Springfield) they wanted, you'd get similar type responses.

And my touring bike (pictured below without its fairing lowers) does me just fine. 17,000 miles on it in 13 months since buying it. I wouldn't mind owning a Challenger in addition, but have no desire to make a swap/change.

Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Springfield
6 Posts
I initially bought the Springfield to get used to the weight of these machines. The idea was to buy a Roadmaster after the acclimatizing period. I think this period is behind me now but for the following reasons I don't think I will make the move to a tourer. Disclaimer: Of course all of this is my personal opinion.
1- I find the Springfield prettier. I mean the vintage looking Springfields not the Dark Horse, definitely a matter of personal taste, If I were to chose a tourer I would chose a traditional, vintage looking RM). The primary reason I bought an Indian was for the look of it. I am so proud when I ride such a beautiful bike :cool:
2- I find it easier to deal with a Springfield on a daily basis (in comparison with a heavier bike like the RM or Pursuit). Most of the time I use it in my area (1 day trips). Most of the time but not only ...
3- When you are on the road during 28 days (like I did this summer, road trip to Cape North/Norway, ~10 000 kms) you never have enough clothes, tools, etc Even with the big trunks and storage capacity. It is never enough. The storage capacity of the RM/Pursuit is adequate for shorter road trips ( 5/6 days). But for these shorter road trips I can live without the extra comfort. Attached is a picture of the bike, with all the luggage we had (my wife and I) during our road trip to Norway (somewhere in Lapland)
4- I don't like listening to music when I ride. (same when I run/jog, should be saying when I WAS running). I find it a distraction. (probably getting older...)
5- The only thing I was missing when I opted for the Springfield was the GPS/ Ride command. (we first tried the Chieftain but my wife found it too hot) But looking at the feedback regarding the RC I think I am happier with my Zumo XT. I also think the lower wind deflectors are a must.

Conclusion: I love my Springfield and I want to keep it. If I were to buy a second bike for touring purposes (more than 6/7 days) I would probably not opt for a RM nor a Pursuit (nor a HD, nor a Goldwing).

Now if you ask me what I would chose for Christmas I take the RM (limited or "regular")

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I was die hard for the Chieftain. I had two in six years. In early March of 2020 on a whim, I took Red from Tytler's Cycle, up on his offer to take a Challenger Limited out for a quick spin on an early Covid quiet Saturday. I was gone about 15 minutes, when I got back to the dealership, I told Red to sharpen his pencil. I made a trade in deal then and there on ordering out a new red Challenger Limited. Two weeks later my bike arrived, I never looked back. 43,000 miles later, I am looking to buy a new Challenger, once the economy straightens out.
I ride all over the Country, but I still don’t want a Pursuit, the Challenger is everything I want.

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
635 Posts
This is just my personal opinion since OP was asking about what one would "trade up" for touring.
I already have my touring bike in my Springfield. I dont' need nor want all the extras that come with the other bikes. My other "touring" bike is my KTM 990 Adventure. In fact I feel I can go more places on it than on my SDH.
Ultimately ANY motorcycle can be a touring bike. A simple youtube search will turn up people touring all over the world on everything from a C90 (C90 adventures), to Suzuki and Kawasaki 250s, Itchy boots on her CRF 250 all the way up to Gold Wings and full on Harleys and Indians. Heck I have done quite a few interstate tours on a GSXR750, BMW800GS, KTM 990 ADV, and a Beta 450 RS. If that is not "touring" I am not sure what is.

For me a touring bike is what you make of what you have and want to use. If OP feels that a Road Master or Pursuit would be their ideal touring bike... I say choose which one you want and go for it. But if you ask for my opinion.... I feel the Pursuit with a water cooled engine would be a better bike overall. As for me, I am sticking with my SDH and 990 as my touring bikes

·
Registered
2022 Springfield
25 Posts
I'll expand on my post. I just started riding again after 20yrs. Wife thought it was dangerous until she rode a scooter by herself a few months ago and loved it. I researched for a bit and was torn between the Springfield and the Chieftain. I like riding open air. Never ridden a bike with a fairing. Saw that I could add what I needed to the Springfield to make it a tour bike, but taking the fairing off the Chieftain would be a huge task. I set up a nice Quadlock mount on my nacelle so it also charges my phone . I have all that I need and can add if I don't. For me, it's a win win. Plus, the bike is so damn gorgeous.

·
Registered
2022 Springfield 111 Black & Tan
500 Posts
Ha! Reading through these it's like the worst survey ever! 😁

If this was a soft drink survey it would be going like this...

Which do you prefer, Coke or Pepsi?

Anwers Received:

I like Sprite
I like water
I've never cared much for soda

o_O

Maybe if the title of the thread was:
" Springfield owners:What bike would you choose between a RM or Pursuit?"

To me the words Purse and Suit are kinda weird,JUST JOKING🤡

·
Registered
2017 Steel Gray/Burgundy Metallic
258 Posts
For many of the reasons previously stated, don't want the extra plastic and electronic gizmos, and it's hard to beat the ease at which the Springfield becomes a bare-naked cruiser, a bagger, or of course a touring bike as shown here during my 15 day 8 state trip this year. Everything I need, nothing I don't.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ha! Reading through these it's like the worst survey ever! 😁

If this was a soft drink survey it would be going like this...

Which do you prefer, Coke or Pepsi?

Anwers Received:

I like Sprite
I like water
I've never cared much for soda

o_O
More like if the question was “Coke(pepsi) drinkers, which would you have for your future roadtrips, cherry coke(pepsi) or mr pibb(dr pepper)?”
And the answers are “regular Coke(Pepsi) works fine for road trips” or “I already have coke(Pepsi) at home, I can just add cherry flavor to it” or “if I wanted cherry I would have got that instead of regular when I bought it.”

1 - 20 of 27 Posts