Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I ride at least twice a week (100 miles each day) as now work from home mostly. I hope you're right and it's just a bad battery.

I was concerned that charging the battery on the days I weren't using the bike would cause it more damage. I was told not to charge the battery too often (unless winter storage).

I'll let you all know how I progress once I install the new battery which I'm expecting next week.

Thanks for all the advice (y)

Registered
Just to add, Freedom Motorcycles are sending me a new battery for free. Mark has always been a gem of a person.

He did inform me that something similar happened to a Road Master in the past and a new battery fixed the problem.

What bothers me is, what caused the battery to drain in the first place? Will it happen again?

Am I expected to charge the battery daily to prevent this happening again?

Since it began getting dark, I've been using us riding lights all the time. Could this have caused the problem? Does this mean it's not practical to run them always whilst riding???

Got a bit of riding anxiety now as dread the thought of this happening on the motorway.
I keep my SF on a tender after every ride and keep it on the tender.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah, I feel like doing the same... It'll feel like I'm practicing when I eventually own an electric bike 馃槀

Not sure if it's recommended though. I've been told overcharging can affect battery???

I may charge after short rides (local shops & back) but not bother after a long ride eg: greater than 50 mile trip.

Below us an Indian video regarding deeply Indian Motorcycle battery maintenance. Suggests charge every 60 days.

I'm still really confused why my battery will die so suddenly & without any warning (on the day it started on the button without hesitation) and after over 5 months of normal use.

Very confused :unsure:

Registered
I'm still really confused why my battery will die so suddenly & without any warning (on the day it started on the button without hesitation) and after over 5 months of normal use.

Very confused :unsure:
Bad cell most likely, if you have 4 cells giving you 12v, and you read 9v, one of those 4 cells went kaput. Cells can and do go bad in short order. Best of luck!

O_E

Rider
A bad battery can cause your problems, once you get a new one put in, start the bike and see what your voltage reading is while running. It's very possible that the voltage regulator is bad and not charging the battery as it should. Good luck!

Registered
ok. listen up.........your battery failed internally hence only 9 volts. being a computer contolled bike this reaks havoc on the electrics and causes all kinds of issues. a new battery should solve all your issues unless you fried something by overcharging a bad battery. and yes i know wut im talking about.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ok. listen up....... and yes i know wut im talking about.
Thanks... Comments noted and friendly advice taken

In future may I recommend avoid starting a conversation with "ok, listen up" and ending with, "I know what I'm talking about". As this draws unnecessary attention and undermines the main subject matter.

Your advice was on par with many others and I had no reason to doubt your good intentions in the first place

Battery arrives on Monday... Fingers crossed it all works out

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Registered
I leave my bike on a Deltran Battery Tender. It is supposed to magically know when the battery is fully charged and not over charge it. I assume other brands of battery chargers have that feature also but you must read the chargers instructions to make sure it has that feature.

Registered
Thunder Black non ABS Indian Scout Bobber 20
I don't know if this was mentioned but , if you have a voltage on your display . While your riding , make sure while the bike is running it shows at least 13v . If the voltage starts to go down while riding the alternator or stator needs to be cleaned . Just a heads up

Registered
I use a optima battery monitor, I know it works because I have a tracker fitted, which apart from other info the app tells me the battery voltage

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 50 Posts