Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up early before dawn. Suited and booted ready for my hour and a half commute to work.

I always look forward to my ride on my gorgeous Indian Springfield and tend to choose the longer route just so I can spend more time riding.

I barely Road 500 yards when everything and I mean everything went dead! No lights or even hazard lights to warn others road users of the situation. Power button wasn't responding. None of the switches made any difference.

Thankfully it was quiet that early in the morning as hardly any road users. Took me about half an hour to push the bike back home (disadvantages of heavy bike). As I neared my garage, the headlight and spot lights turned by themselves on and I thought... Great, I'll hop back on and ride to the garage.

Sweating buckets by this time!!

I think the fuel pumps primed but the ignition wouldn't work. Then everything turned off again. Power button didn't work either.

Ended up taking public transportation to work and arrived late for a meeting.

Got home very late, showered and hit the bed. Next morning checked on the bike and the headlight was turned on (power button not working again) and the battery nearly flat.

Quickly disconnected the battery and put it on charge. Tomorrow will reconnect and fingers crossed, hope all works as it should.

I'm dreading taking the bike to a dealer as the nearest one is miles away and in London. Worried the bike may die before I get there (if it starts again???). I do have road side cover but that's not the point.

Anyone else experienced this?

Registered
Just be careful when checking the frame ground that you don't accidentally ground out the VCM. 15 weeks I've been waiting for mine for the 2017 CDH, doubt it would be any better on that side of the pond.

Best
O_E

Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
First, check your battery and ground connections. If you have a voltmeter check that your battery is at least 12V, if not charge it. If OK, then take al look in your fuse box. There are two auto resetting circuit breakers one is a 20A and the other is a 10A. One is for your ECU and the other for the VCM. First make sure that they are fully seated. If that's not an issue, then you can remove them and temporarily replace them with a standard fuse to check the circuit to verify that they are OK. These breakers have been an issue for quite a few Indian owners. Based on your symptoms it is high probability that this could be your issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just be careful when checking the frame ground that you don't accidentally ground out the VCM. 15 weeks I've been waiting for mine for the 2017 CDH, doubt it would be any better on that side of the pond.

Best
O_E
Thanks... I've already disconnected the negitive (black battery connection) and will be mindful. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where abouts are you b mart? I'm on the Kent coast. I'm an electrician, sadly not auto electrician but will be willing to help

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Ah... Thanks for reaching out mate. I'm at Croydon, Surrey. I know bugger all about electrics although I've had my share of shocks when poking around electric sockets, in my younger days. I'll take the advice of the others and reach out if I have no option... Do appreciate you asking though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First, check your battery and ground connections. If you have a voltmeter check that your battery is at least 12V, if not charge it. If OK, then take al look in your fuse box. There are two auto resetting circuit breakers one is a 20A and the other is a 10A. One is for your ECU and the other for the VCM. First make sure that they are fully seated. If that's not an issue, then you can remove them and temporarily replace them with a standard fuse to check the circuit to verify that they are OK. These breakers have been an issue for quite a few Indian owners. Based on your symptoms it is high probability that this could be your issue.
Thanks for your advice. Yesterday I took out each and every fuse and the headlight remained on. So I disconnected the negitive cable as easy the do and began charging the battery. The battery had dropped to 4.5V??? It usually shows between 12v and 14v when charging. After about 5 to 7 hours on charge it went up to 9.2v. I'm hoping it recovers and holds a charge at 12v.

I hadn't tested the fuses as you suggested and will do so later. You must mean the thin taller 10a and 20a ones? They don't look like the regular fuses.

Bronze member

Best
O_E

That's backwards, the VCM is grounded to the bike. What kills' it is the positive from the battery

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well... I reached out to my dealer, Freedom Motorcycles who suggested a new battery will solve the issue. So they are shipping me a new one asap. I'll try anything at this point but honestly don't know how this will solve the problem???

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to add, Freedom Motorcycles are sending me a new battery for free. Mark has always been a gem of a person.

He did inform me that something similar happened to a Road Master in the past and a new battery fixed the problem.

What bothers me is, what caused the battery to drain in the first place? Will it happen again?

Am I expected to charge the battery daily to prevent this happening again?

Since it began getting dark, I've been using us riding lights all the time. Could this have caused the problem? Does this mean it's not practical to run them always whilst riding???

Got a bit of riding anxiety now as dread the thought of this happening on the motorway.

Registered
The cause of your sudden failure is likely just the battery going bad on its own. As long as you're using the charger when it's not being ridden regularly you should expect it to last a good long time.

Use of the electrical equipment should have no impact on the life of the battery unless you're running everything with the engine off or idling for a very long time. Using your running lamps all the time while riding will not harm your battery in any way.

Batteries go bad. It can be through a mechanical fault in the structure, sulfation (at least on lead batteries), or prolonged exposure to extreme heat or cold. You probably got one of the few that went bad early through no fault of your own.

It's great that your dealer is so supportive.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts