• I haven't checked.

Votes: 10 16.4%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a 2016 Springfield, Freedom fishtails stage one Indian AC and a Power Commander. Took delivery a few months ago, never checked the oil, took it in for the 500 miles service at 600 miles, etc. Yesterday decided to check my oil as she has about 1,500 miles on it now. Nothing on the stick cold. Started and let it warm completely, check the stick, no oil. Ran her some more, no oil. Went and bought some Castrol 20/50 and kept running and adding and running and adding until she was full. My bike was 2.5 quarts down. She's not puffing any smoke or anything. Now either my bike burned 2.5 quarts of oil in 900 miles or the god damned dealer didn't fill it at the 500 mile service. Anyone else having these problems???

·
Bronze member
1,432 Posts
Hi!
I have a 2016 Springfield, Freedom fishtails stage one Indian AC and a Power Commander. Took delivery a few months ago, never checked the oil, took it in for the 500 miles service at 600 miles, etc. Yesterday decided to check my oil as she has about 1,500 miles on it now. Nothing on the stick cold. Started and let it warm completely, check the stick, no oil. Ran her some more, no oil. Went and bought some Castrol 20/50 and kept running and adding and running and adding until she was full. My bike was 2.5 quarts down. She's not puffing any smoke or anything. Now either my bike burned 2.5 quarts of oil in 900 miles or the god damned dealer didn't fill it at the 500 mile service. Anyone else having these problems???
If it was burning oil you would have a smoke cloud following you everywhere you went. (my 2 cents worth)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,965 Posts
Fill to correct mark ... Repeat inspection every ride and report back your findings

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was burning oil you would have a smoke cloud following you everywhere you went. (my 2 cents worth)
That's what I would think, especially considering the quantity we're talking about here. It really infuriates me to think that I paid a dealer to service the bike and they can't even properly fill the freaking oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi!
Hi everyone, sad to say it's BUYERS/OWNERS BEWARE!!! I can only speak for the one Indian Dealership in Vegas and I have on "Yelp". After visiting it for several years and transitions of names and almost purchasing one I decided to have them check out my new purchase of a 2002 spirit deluxe. as you can read on my yelp review it was a long, tedious, and disappointing experience. I found that even after several attempts to allow them to correct their mistakes I still wound up with a bike with the same issues. Overpricing sad labor practice and more lines of crap that I've heard in a while seem to be common practice. As I'm reading these threads on this forum it seems to be that way across the board. Solution for this problem is simple, learn more about your bike and the availability of information on websites are free and do your own work, you can screw it up just as well as they can and you won't have to put up with the bull. Good luck and Yelp a review on those shops that suck if for no other reason than to help the next guy not to get screwed. Thanks. R. R.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
This seems to be one huge problem at Indian dealers. Called dealer prep. Its non - existent at most stores. Just uncrate it, tighten down the handlebars and mirrors and if she starts, its good to go.
No tire pressure check, no headlight adjustment ( very important ) and lastly, no fluid check or belt check either. We as consumers do not know this right away. The check list is just another piece of paperwork and gets checked off by probably the girl at the phones.
Years ago Harley started kicking back warranty repair orders ( claims ) with dealer prep issues and the dealers then decided that those bikes should be 'right' when they hit the door with a new owner. At least where I went and I would fire any tech that just unpacked a new bike, turned the key over and grabbed another bike. Service makes a dealership. Service is the difference in a sale and the delivery of a perfect bike to a customer, regardless of the 'deal', is first and front row center in my book.
Start listing stores that do this, otherwise there is no recourse from Polaris as they still let this go on. Name names. You won't be hunted down and assassinated. They can't prep a bike, how they gonna kill you? LOL

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Out the bad ones in public

Praise the good ones in public

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,709 Posts
This seems to be one huge problem at Indian dealers. Called dealer prep. Its non - existent at most stores. Just uncrate it, tighten down the handlebars and mirrors and if she starts, its good to go.
No tire pressure check, no headlight adjustment ( very important ) and lastly, no fluid check or belt check either. We as consumers do not know this right away. The check list is just another piece of paperwork and gets checked off by probably the girl at the phones.
Years ago Harley started kicking back warranty repair orders ( claims ) with dealer prep issues and the dealers then decided that those bikes should be 'right' when they hit the door with a new owner. At least where I went and I would fire any tech that just unpacked a new bike, turned the key over and grabbed another bike. Service makes a dealership. Service is the difference in a sale and the delivery of a perfect bike to a customer, regardless of the 'deal', is first and front row center in my book.
Start listing stores that do this, otherwise there is no recourse from Polaris as they still let this go on. Name names. You won't be hunted down and assassinated. They can't prep a bike, how they gonna kill you? LOL
You're absolutely correct ! Years ago when I was a parts mgr for a Saturn dealership when the brand was only about five years old I witness service techs putting the PDIs on a spider lift with only the front wheels off the ground. Now what they were doing is starting the cars and putting them in gear to run up test miles instead of actually driving them to check for squeaks and rattles,

·
Founding member
991 Posts
If I had to guess after following the forum, I would suspect the dealer is the issue. I find it stunning that over and over a dealer can't even perform an oil change correctly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not to be off topic but our dealership we have a list of things that need to be checked and done properly on Pdi or the bike does not go on the showroom floor. We have to sign our names to it on the pdi sheet so if any issues than we have to fix the issue as we sign off on it.This also means we have rode the bike and tested all components.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure there are good dealers out there. It especially drives me nuts since I grew up on the back of a Harley, have owned almost every model of HD myself, and then hell froze over when I traded my Road King for a Springfield. Then, the dealer screws me. My Springfield is a better bike than the Road King, but at least my HD dealer would have put oil in the damn thing.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
davem, perhaps you are lucky to have a good dealer, just found out my ECU hold down bolt was missing when I went to put on my seat rail, only 1200 miles on bike and had dealer sevice the bike at the 500 mile, plus found 1 fender bolt coming out. And I know they had hook the battery up because I bought her off the show room floor and the battery was not hooked up then.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Hi!
Beezerbiker for your own peace of mind and sanity, buy the service manual. I'm in Houston and the dealer I bought my bike from is down right SCARY. I have lost all faith in dealers. Start changing your own oil, you will know exactly how much is in that motor. If it ain't smoking and theres no oil on the ground where you park it, your good. I don't even put it on a jack to change the oil, Indian makes it so easy. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Not to be off topic but our dealership we have a list of things that need to be checked and done properly on Pdi or the bike does not go on the showroom floor. We have to sign our names to it on the pdi sheet so if any issues than we have to fix the issue as we sign off on it.This also means we have rode the bike and tested all components.
Maybe so but there is no recourse for someone coming back with a headlight looking up in the trees, is there? I mean, its just a warranty ticket/repair order and then nobody gets an ass chewing, right? Different if the person responsible for it would get called out. Once corporate Polaris/Indian puts a halt to this 'glossing over' a pre - delivery, it'll continue. Putting a halt to this would mean NO claims paid out to a dealer that submits a warranty claim with obvious dealer prep issues. Now maybe you guys actually do the job and if so, two thumbs up here for you and store you work at. But by far and large, its not done. Why do I say this? Read any Indian forum, here or the Chief forum, and see issues that could have been corrected at a pre - delivery check. Easy easy solution here. And having a good delivery takes away ( a little ) bad mojo from the sales staff. Yes?

·
Registered
93 Posts
right you are Bwana6. We make sure that what goes out the door is how we would want our own bikes done.I ride and take pride in what I do and always make sure the problem is taken care of the first time. Its sad to say that I don;t trust service shops here and do my own work on everything I own. The dealership I work at takes pride and treats customers properly and we try to always have them leave our shop happy and satisfied . Unfortunatlly there are alot of shops that don't care and leave a bad taste in customers mouths.

·
Rider
453 Posts
I have heard of dealerships not fully filling the engine by mistake. If you were burning oil you would know it. And I think there would be visible oil residue at the back end of your pipes. Just an honest mistake by the dealer.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I don't think to many honest mistakes, not when they are supposed to be able to work on our bikes, like I said they were supposed to hook my battery up when preparing and checking at my first service, only for me to find the battery cables loose and my ECU bolt missing when putting my seat rail on and then to try give me a regular bolt instead of what really belongs there F, I have to pay good money for the bike and that's the service we get.

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
Many commented that if you were burning oil, you'd know it. Not necessarily. I had a CVO 110 that used a qt per 1,000 miles and it didn't smoke at all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
During my first 500 miles I checked the oil by riding until oil hot. Park bike on level ground with side stand. Remove oil cap/dipstick and oil visible just below the threads. Corresponds to correct level on dipstick when bike was held up right. After 500 mile service up to the next change at 5000 miles I did the same check. Hot oil just below threads while bike on side stand. After 5000 mile oil change service I rode home and measured oil and could not see oil level at normal position just below threads. Straightened the bike up and measured oil level low at the bottom of the dipstick. (WTH!!) Called dealer service manager to complain I didn't receive proper oil level. This may be BS, But he explained to me, Polaris TOLD them to not put in the last .5 to 1 qt. of oil because some people are complaining it is coming out in their air cleaners and making a mess. I told him in 5000 miles of riding I haven't seen a drop of oil on the floor or the bike and that I wanted more oil. I'm pretty sure I was charged for all 5.5 quarts. The next time I went in he gave me a quart of oil. I topped off my bike and so far no issues with oil leaking out anywhere.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts