Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to open and and reassemble the headlight nacelle? I need to gain some slack in a GPS power cord that I had the Indian tech install. The cord doesn't reach where I need it to go and I need to access the coiled up cord inside the nacelle.

Thanks for any assistance. Also posted in the Tech Q/A Forum but trying to get some responses as quickly as possible for today's ride.

Kathy

·
Registered
21 Posts
It’s six bolts. The two on top and four under the nacelle by the forks. If I remember right it’s 6mm and 4mm allens.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
It’s pretty straight forward. You have to drop the nacelle to gain access to the headlamp and wiring from the back. There are 4 hex bolts (2 per side) up beside the head tube and two bolts on top. I think they are 4mm, maybe 5 mm. Use a ball end hex wrench if you have one. The angle is a bit wonky. Keep your hand on the nacelle after you remove the bolts so it doesn’t fall forward and dent the front fender. Put a towel on the fender and lay the nacelle on it.

nacelle_guts.jpg

nacelle_fender.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
quantity of 6 5mm Allen bolts, two on top of the Nacelle and inside of Nacelle (in front of tank next to forks there are two on each side). The bottom ones are easy to take off, but the two top ones on each side will take patience due to forks being so close that you may need a thin long 5mm Allen wrench. You’ll see when look at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. So I'll have to remove all 6 bolts in order to be able to get my hand on the coiled up GPS power cord? Dang! I was hoping that removing the top 2 bolts would let me open it like a clam shell to get my fingers in there and reach the cord.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Depending on how shit of a job Indian did making your parts, you'll want to loosen the side bolts a little too. Mine doesn't line up for **** so it's a nightmare to get everything lined back up. An Indian mechanic on our Reddit gave me that service and saved me a lot of headache.

·
Rider
565 Posts
All the key point have been hit. I’ll emphasize the ball end Allen is highly recommended. Also the alignment point. Very finicky to line up during reinstall so start all fasteners by hand pressure only! You may think it’s lined up and end up stripping threads. Very easy to do with this nacelle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
All the key point have been hit. I’ll emphasize the ball end Allen is highly recommended. Also the alignment point. Very finicky to line up during reinstall so start all fasteners by hand pressure only! You may think it’s lined up and end up stripping threads. Very easy to do with this nacelle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve replaced my headlights a couple of times now... and the threaded nacelle is now stripped , might look into tapping an insert. Anyway, here is a link to removing the nacelle ( visually)

·
Rider
620 Posts
You're Nacelle isn't stripped, they have those black clips on it that hold the threads, probably the only smart thing those idiots did in designing the thing. Just need new ones of those. Call up your Indian dealer and see if they can score you a couple, or did you not mean the top part.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You're Nacelle isn't stripped, they have those black clips on it that hold the threads, probably the only smart thing those idiots did in designing the thing. Just need new ones of those. Call up your Indian dealer and see if they can score you a couple, or did you not mean the top part.
The nacelle is cast aluminum and I’ve stripped one of the 4 main inserts, not the 2 top ones.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading all the replies, I'm kinda wondering if it would be safer and less hassle for me to have the service tech do this. I don't have ball-end allen wrenches. Or a long, thin handled allen wrench, either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
After reading all the replies, I'm kinda wondering if it would be safer and less hassle for me to have the service tech do this. I don't have ball-end allen wrenches. Or a long, thin handled allen wrench, either.
You dont have a Harbor Freight in your area?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts